Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats a good board?

Hello Everyone,

I will probably get an Intel Pentium D 925 processor quite soon and then i'll have a spare Pentium 4 3GHz 530J processor.
    I will then probably have about $150AUD to spend on another motherboard for the P4 processor....

Anyone got suggestions to a good ASUS motherboard for around that price? I don't really mind about PCIe or AGP but it has to somehow fit inside my Asus TA881 case.... it's a tight case but it will fit an ATX motherboard....

I was planning for one of these models:

- Asus P5P800-SE - <$100AUD
    -Asus P5VD2-MX - $110AUD
    -Asus P5V-VM DH - $155AUD.... it's one of those Fancy Digital Home motherboards with WIFI and that ASUS Remote.

Anyone got any other suggestions to any other boards from Asus that will fit my limited budget? luckily i have RAM,Case,DVD Drive and a ATA HDD (Not SATA) ready so i'll save in the peripheral areas.

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 01-09-2007, 04:58 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Whats a good board?

I had a better idea last night.... i think i might as well wait for that Core 2 Duo chip to go down in price and buy that in a few months time.... i have a feeling that Pentium D is nearly on the way out....

But now i need to replace another socket 478 board that has a few issues here and there.

But now i'm confused....

I was looking at some Asrock motherboards today (specifically i was looking at the P4i65G model) .... i wonder if Asrock motherboards are good quality.... I heard my computer supplier say a while ago that these boards were bad and last time through so i bought a Gigabyte 8iG1000-G board instead.... The Gigabyte board i guess is pretty OK.

But most of my confusion is here .... some people say Asrock is owned by Asus.... Some say that Asrock is a different company and now i'm really confused.... Is it like ECS and PC Chips? or two different companies like Gigabyte and Asus?

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I was just thinking.... Does anyone know what caps Asrock use now?
      I saw some boards on the forum with Taicon caps and most of them went bad.
      I just wonder what caps they use now.... Maybe something better than Taicon caps?

Thanks.

Comment

well i would say the best mobo for intel would be an intel original board.

i saw this asrock board at an exhibition during oct/06 and it was using Panasonic ??, Ost RLP, Teapo and a Nichicon?

teapo?

nichicon?
        Attached Files
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

why are you stuck on asus anyway? you could consider abit, they appear to have good caps on their boards.

i would second the waiting for a core 2 duo. it is an evolution for intel.

Comment

My Asrock 939Dual-VSTA has Chemicon, Panasonic, Sanyo, and OST on the board. I'm happy with it so far

Comment

I'm actually stuck on Asus because i have an Asus TA881 case.... i wish i could rub the words Asus off it....lol
              I don't have a concern for the words on the case.... it's just the picky people that may want to buy this PC by the time i sell it....

Comment

lol do you think they would care?

Comment

Hmmm.... I guess not.
                  Well my computer supplier says that Asrock boards are a piece of crap.... and that i should buy an ECS?.... I think the ECS costs more than the Asrock and it only has an SiS 661FX chipset whereas this Asrock has an Intel 865G chipset.... what makes these Asrock boards so cheap?! are they bound to die one day? or is it the capacitor Mix and Match thing. I can see that the ECS 661FX uses OST caps. The Asrock P4i65G has Chemicon caps and some OST around the VRM.... thats all i can see guess from an internet picture.

Which is better? anyone ever had a dead Asrock board before?
                  Last edited by stevo1210; 01-13-2007, 07:21 PM.

Comment

i would rather have the intel chipset than sis
                    still, what a choice lol.

Comment

In decreasing order, MSI > DFI > Gigabyte > Asus > Asrock > ECS/PCChips > Jetway etc.
                      YMMV, there may be individual and/or subjective exceptions.

Comment

Asus is worser than Gigabyte on the scale?! I thought Asus were better.... after all every Gigabyte board i have has had issues and require a return....

I always thought Asus was much better with thier 3 year warranty.... Gigabyte boards only have 1 year warranty.... I still have an Asus P3V4X with a VIA 694X chipset and thats still running great....those Sanyo caps are holding up well
                        But then again I have a Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ board (by far the best board.... didnt need to be returned) it is the same age as the Asus one and it's flaky.... in other words it is slow and randomly crashes.... Those G-Luxon caps all look fine but i think something suspicious is going on.... maybe it's the VIA 693A chipset that has issues??

I agree with PC Chips on the rating scale though. I once had a PC Chips M550 board (Socket 7) and SDRAM memory modules were kinda had to fit into the SDRAM slots.... but then again it did work for over 6 years until another person hot swapped SDRAM in it while the PC was on.... It never worked again after that.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Willawake.... I would always prefer an Intel chipset over VIA and SiS chipsets.... Intel chipsets have always been good.... VIA and SiS on the other hand have had thier share of issues.

Comment

Probably have to qualify that as *recent* Gigabyte vs. Asus - Gigabyte has improved a bit these days, while Asus has lost ground. That said, I was impressed with two recent Asus boards - P5VDC-MX, LGA775, Via P4M800, AGP, DDR1 (!) and Conroe support, and P5LD2-VM SE, LGA775, i945, PCIe, dual-channel DDR2 and Conroe support. Both are excellent entry-level boards, with pretty good caps.

Comment

I have a story to tell about my experience with Gigabyte boards.

I have a list (in my head) of all the Gigabyte boards that i have returned or paid extra for as an exchange thing.... i only pay extra to trade in at times because i want a better board sometimes but in most cases it is because i don't have the patience to wait sometimes for it to be in RMA.

First i bought a Gigabyte GA-8i865GVM-775 motherboard within about 3 months i returned it and paid extra for the GA-8i915P-Pro then 9 months later the sound port didn't work properly so i paid extra and traded that one in for the Gigabyte GA-8i945PL-G .... that lasted about 3 months until the USB port didnt work properly.... I changed that one for the GA-8i945P-G board.... that one worked for about 2 weeks before it started beeping funny on boot .... This time i actually had the patience to wait a week or so for a new board to be sent back here.

In my brothers PC, he had a GA-8iG1000-G motherboard that he bought in September 2006. Just last week it was returned and he's waiting for that one to come back.... Apparently he gets a brand new board according to my computer supplier.

But If it comes to caps, then these recent Gigabyte boards are quite good at it. Mostly they have Rubycon MBZ or Nichicon HM or HN (2006 model HM and HN .... i dont think will fail) or Chemicon caps. I also noticed that Gigabyte uses solid polymer caps around the socket 775 processor.
                              Last edited by stevo1210; 01-14-2007, 02:54 AM.

Comment

With GigaByte, you can get a decent board with good caps or total crap with GSC and Choyo.
                                I'd say that ECS is better than ASRock. Some ASRock boards have really stupid design mistakes - such as powering P4 CPU from 5V rail or using a linear regulator with underrated transistor (runs hot and simply dies after some time) for powering the chipset and DIMM.

Comment

I have two choices of motherboards now.... This is because these are the only socket 478 boards my supplier sells now.
                                  Well they have the ECS 661FX-M and Asrock P4i65G motherboards in stock and i think thats about it.
                                  The ECS 661FX-M is based on the SiS 661FX chipset and the Asrock one is based on the Intel 865G chipset. The ECS one uses OST caps i think and Asrock uses a few Chemicon caps.

Can someone help me identify what caps are around the CPU in the Asrock board?.... They look like OST caps.

Someone help me choose a board.... hard choice....
                                  I don't know which is better? Asrock or ECS? or are they just practically the same?

Heres the site if that helps at all....

ECS: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pro...uID=45&LanID=0

Asrock: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...P4i65G&s=Intel

I have enclosed some internet images of the boards.... hope that helps also.

Thanks.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hmm.... i just read another thread on badcaps.net about Taicon caps....

Apparently one user has blown Taicon caps on thier P4i65GV board.... this one on the other hand is P4i65G.... now i better find out what brand those smaller caps on the P4i65G uses....

Comment

I'm skeptical about the claim that the Asrock is a dual-channel board. It may use the 865 all right, but the DIMM slots are spaced too close together to have permitted routing both channels to the slots. I'm guessing that it's a single-channel, 2-slot board. I've also seen an MSI 865 micro-ATX board that uses this configuration.

Other than that - I'd probably go with the Asrock and recap it before use.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                                        But If it comes to caps, then these recent Gigabyte boards are quite good at it. Mostly they have Rubycon MBZ or Nichicon HM or HN (2006 model HM and HN .... i dont think will fail) or Chemicon caps. I also noticed that Gigabyte uses solid polymer caps around the socket 775 processor.
                                        I just want to everybody know that brands of mothbaord and caps are NOT everything. This is may shock some users' heart. The board is Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK Ver1.0

Nichicon, Chemi-con and Rubycon(may be Sanyo, i can't sure) all was crap in this board. This case is the first time i see in this mothboard.
                                        Attached Files
                                        My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Working...
                                        X