AMD Upgrade For Hp p6687c Desktop PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD Upgrade For Hp p6687c Desktop PC

My Pc is a Hp Pavilion model p6687c. It has the AMD Phenom IIX4 840T 2.9Ghz CPU. 8 GB of ram with 64 bit Win7 Home Premium. I'm looking into and upgrade or two. The Hp site says I can upgrade to the AMD Phenom IIX6 10xxT sixcore (Thuban core) CPU. This sounds good to me. Since my PC is 64 bit I can max the ram out at 16GB. This also sounds good! Now I'd love to ditch the onboard graphic. The Hp site says I can run a PCI Express 16X video card. All of this now sounds great to me...LOL Remember I'll old and stupid. Here is where the problem is. This PC only has a 250 watt PSU. Most any PCI Express card worth having requires something around a 400 watts out of the PSU. I guess I'll have to upgrade the PSU too. There is nothing offered as and upgrade for my 250 watt PSU on the Hp site not that I'd buy any of this stuff from them anyway. My hope is that Hp-Compaq hasn't done anything stupid with the pinout of their 250 watt PSU. I'll just buy a 800 watt PSU. My plan is to upgrade my PC with all the above listed goodies. If it works then I'll upgrade my wife's PC too. She has the exact same PC as I do.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: AMD Upgrade For Hp p6687c Desktop PC

A quadcore and 8GB is more than enough, even for gaming.
    I'd replace the powersupply and get a decent mid-range graphics card. Viola.. You got yourself a gaming capable computer (and I'm talking games from the last couple years in at least medium settings)

800W would be total overkill. A good ~450W unit would be fine.

No idea what your budget is, but this is what I'd suggest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371034

The graphics card.. well.. depends strongly on your budget.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102940
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102908

Just a suggestion. I'm kinda curious what others would put together instead.
    Last edited by Scenic; 02-18-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I would suggest the same parts that Scenic linked from Newegg.com.

In addition to Scenic's suggestions, if you're looking for a CPU upgrade, unfortunately not many places really stock regular AMD AM3 processors anymore after the release of the AM3+ Bulldozer FX-series processors. The best Phenom II X6 that I could find (being in stock) was the 1055T 2.8GHz at NCIX US for $149.98: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=520...anufacture=AMD
      Last edited by Newbie2; 02-18-2012, 06:49 PM.
      My gaming PC:
      AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
      ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
      PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
      G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
      TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
      WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
      ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
      Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
      Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
      Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

OK I gave myself brain damage trying to figure out the AMD family of newer CPU's. My last AMD that I used and loved was I think the AMD 450 K6/2. Had a fast AMD T Bird? something in a home built. Didn't like it because it didn't have the SSE instruction set. I couldn't stream Netflix with it. Now on to what I have now. This would be the AMD Phenon IIx4 840T 2.9 Ghz. If I understand it right. This CPU is actually a AMD Phenom IIx6 10xxT sixcore Thuban that didn't pass tech. Its crippled by have two of its cores disabled to make it into a AMD Phenon II 840T.
        Now on the upgrade I think I'll leave the CPU alone. My PC has enough balls with its four core. I'm going to do the PCI Express 16X video card and a better PSU. I don't game but my wife does. She will get a better Card than I buy for myself.
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

With those CPUs that have cores disabled, you can enable them on some motherboards if the BIOS supports it, but it's a gamble if they'll actually work OK or not.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

That is just it. There is no way of knowing if my CPU was crippled because it failed Tech as a six core or if it was fine and was crippled because they needed more 840T four core CPUs. It makes more sense to make all of the family from six core CPU's and then cripple them to make the four core CPUs. It would cost them less in the long run.
            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

No harm in trying it out, though, if you try and they are unstable then just disable core unlock again.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
              X