Rosewill RP550-2-S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rosewill RP550-2-S

Here is a newly acquired Rosewill RP550-2-S. Everything looks as cramped as an Antec Smartpower. Powered it up.....5vsb is dead. Uses one of those #@$%&* two transistor circuits. Fuse checks good, and DC voltage at main capacitors looks good. So here are some pictures. The case has a shiny chrome mirror like finish. Too bad it looks better than it works!
    Attached Files
    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Re: Rosewill RP550-2-S

Are you gonna do a dm311 mod?

Comment

i hope you will complete the primary filter as well.... jumper wire bad! components good!
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the input filter. It looks good enough as it is.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The input filter is complete, that jumper wire is for the optional APFC components.

By they way, this is a very good performing, but aging, ATNG unit.

Review for the 500W version:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story2&reid=32
          Last edited by 370forlife; 11-07-2010, 06:38 AM.

Comment

The jumper wires on the input side are NOT for line filter.....they are for a PFC circuit which is not installed. The red jumper wire I added to take the place of the 115/230 volt switch.

Have not decided whether or not to do the DM311 mod........there just is not the usual amount of room for the add-on board which would go between the two heat sinks. Mounting the add-on board on the other side of the heat sink would cause BIG problems in how to route the wires.

My conclusion: they should have built it right in the first place. No surface mount components, two transistor 5vsb circuit, so this is probably some more Solytech crap.
            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Good morning 370forlife. You posted while I was writing! No.....this is not a good ATNG unit. It does not work.

Comment

I've got an identical ATNG branded unit (circa 2002, still works) if you need any part numbers or measurements.

Comment

Quite impressive input filter for a Rosewill, guess I will need to adjust my opinion on them.
                  Also interesting location of the input filter, spanning all the way from what is usually regarded as the "primary" side over to the "secondary"
                  Because correct me if I'm wrong, but those Y-Caps on the right are part of the input filter right?

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...5&d=1289105592
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Yeah, the Y caps are in the input filter. Rosewill's ATNG units are pretty solid, it's their low end solytech units that are a little more "explosive"

Comment

You mean that thing can actually do 50A on 15v? That's the highest 5v rating i've seen so far. Somehow i doubt that it's true - if it is, i gotta locate one for my dual-PIII.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have the 450W ATNG branded version, it has 2x 40A schottky's on the 5v rail, so I think it the 550W version can do 50A on the 5v.

Comment

Very nice psu. It looks to have Teapo caps everywhere.

Comment

The 5vsb circuit is the trouble maker on this one. I tried doing a repair to the two transistor circuit, but it only blew out again. I installed a DM311 mod, but the output was only .9 volts. The feedback was over 2 volts so looks like the transformer is shot. Checked out components on the output side, and they were all OK. The main switching transformer and the 5vsb transformer both start with "AP". Not too sure who the OEM is. The 5vsb transformer number is AP-500EPS-T2-3, so check your junk box.

Comment

AP-XXX is ATNG's in-house numbering system. This power supply is a AP series, 500 is just the mid range of what units that transformer is used in. 400-600W. ATNG is big enough to where they make their own transformers.

I have a ATNG AP-300 here. The 5vsb transformer is decently sized, marked AP-265N-1AT3.

Comment

Is this something from your junk box? If so send it on and I will see if I can get it to fit and work. This psu is so compact and crowded it reminds me of a Antec SmartPower.

Comment

To work on the 5vsb on this one required that I remove both heat sinks. So here are a couple of pictures. Both heat sinks are removed. The board does show a little bit of burn damage from the 5vsb blowups. All of the two transistor components have been removed. A DM311 mod board is temporarily installed with long leads to keep it out of the way while working on the circuit. Once I find a suitable 5vsb transformer, I can move this project further along.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Ahh good ol' ATNG, always scratching off part numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                      i hope you will complete the primary filter as well.... jumper wire bad! components good!

Look again.
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

I have done more testing on the 5vsb circuit components, and verified that the 5vsb transformer is bad. I removed the transformer from the pc board and put it in a different working circuit using the DM311 chip. Same results as when installed in original power supply. The winding to the switching transistor is OK, and the feedback windings are OK. The 5vsb secondary winding is the culprit, which puts out only 2 volts max with no load. Any added loading reduces the output voltage quickly. That explains why I measured only .8 volts on the 5vsb line in the original power supply.

The pin layout of the transformer is different from any transformer I have in my junkbox. As crowded as everything is in this power supply, I am on the lookout for a matching transformer. So check you junkbox for any 5vsb transformer labeled AP-500EPS or even AP-xxx from a ANTG power supply. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X