This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi guys. Just seeking some knowledge in this area of electronics, don't mind me! Very impressed with what I have seen so far. Keep up the good work guys!

Comment

Hello everyone,

I joined recently to ask for help repairing my monitor. I'm from Germany, but I didn't find a site like this in my native language, so I came here.
      Please forgive my if my English isn't perfect!

Comment

Hello,

The immediate reason I felt on this forum is that I need DC-DC converters from 48V to 5V, 7.5V, 12V and 24V with considerable current - for 7.5V I need 30A+. Could not find those even on Internet, but on a local surplus shop found boxes with what seems to be very powerful DC-DC switchers for $1.99. The only problem is they do not start, even if they are new... May be with some help I will be able to use those?

And anyway, we (me and my sons) enjoy tinkering with old boards, so this forum seems the right place to check for ideas.

All the best,
        George

Comment

Holo!
          I am a systems engineer/administrator. Been in IT for 12 years (working) and before that just a daily hobby.
          I know enough that I don't know everything. These forums are a great place to bounce ideas off each other in an effort to support one-another.

Glad to be a part of it all!

Comment

Hello All

My name is Jeff Roberts, I own and run J.R. Electronics, for the last 19 years.

We repair mostly power supplies but will take on any kind of PCB if there is $$ to be made. Current types of equipment include Xerox gear, cash register, telephone, industrial PLCs, security and of course computers and motherboards.

I used to belong to a listserve years ago run by John Bachman called ELREPAIR, I wonder if any of thoese guys have ended up here as well.

I hope I can contribute to this place and be of some help.

Jeff

Comment

Hello,
              I am Mike/Trapper yes I do trap and have for 31 years, which is showing my age. I have 4 children my oldest is 28 and youngest is 9 what was I thinking??? I wouldn't change a thing though.

I live in Michigan and work at a computer repair store that mainly does virus removal which I hate! We also do motherboard & LCD repair and whatever customers bring in.
              I am fairly new to soldering but learning every time it seems and hope to learn more.

I actually had a BP6 board with bad caps but had it repaired by someone else at that time. It was my online NASCAR racing rig over an ISDN line, time flies when your having fun.

The first system I bought and paid cash for was a Packard Bell Pentium 100 and I used it up until a few years ago when it became to pain full for my 7 year old daughter to play some old math games I had.

Comment

Hello all. I'm an elcctrician who is tinkering with some bad LCD tv' s that
                someone gave me. Want to fix one for my own use. Ran into a road block
                so I though I would give this a try for help. Trying to teach myself electronics
                in the mean time. Any and all help would be appreciated. Check older post first before
                Making my own post.

Comment

Hello.

Comment

Hello All! I am a jack of most trades, with mastery in HVAC, Automotive, and currently work in research (as a lab test monkey, "yes master!") I have dabbled in anything which states "NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE". Challenge accepted! I play with fixing broken stuff for fun, ipods, laptops, descktops, LCD displays, and most recently, LCD HD tv's. FUN!

Comment

Hi All, My Name is Ben and I came across this site while trying to work out how to fix a Dell 3008WFP monitor. Great source of information.

Cya Round

Comment

Hello to the forum.I do appreciate being allowed to join.I,like most of you have numerous years of experience as a bench tech. Hopefully I will be able to assist in a few repairs

Comment

Well, I've been a member for over a year, guess it's time to introduce myself.
                          I like to work on PC power supplies, build computers, and refurbish computers in my spare time. I started working on PC power supplies a little while before I first came to this site. In fact, the PSU build quality pictorial led me here, when I was looking up a generic power supply I had to see who made it. I'm on Badcaps virtually every day, so call me a forum junkie But I keep "Student Tech" up because, well, I'm a student *lol*.

Comment

Hello, my name is Tony and I'm an alcoholic.

Comment

'Howzit gaun' would be the traditional Glasgow welcome from many here. I am very experienced, but not in this field, more in the field my adopted name might suggest - Dabbler, get it?
                              Background's in Automotive as a vehicle technician turned manager. (turned retired) Tradesman mechanic, which means I know loads and forget loads more in all the skills needed in this fantastic trade - I'm a welder, fitter, engineer, electrician, body repairer etc etc. I LOVE repairing things other people made - no interest in creating really.
                              Fairly recently (early 90s) took an interest in computers and picked up loads from forums, this one especially gives a fantastic amount of knowledge, but equally members seem friendly and approachable.
                              My recent successes (credit again to this forum) have been repairs to LCD monitors, computers, TV Digi-boxes, HIfi amps and CD player. I still get a kick (emotionally!) when I plug stuff in after repair and it does what it was meant to do.
                              Thanks for having me, I'm looking forward to a whole new world of repairing dud stuff!!
                              Alan

Comment

hello everyone,
                                consumer electronics technician.

Comment

Hello, I'm Steve. I've been using computers for a while, got started on timeshare terminals, then got to play with Radio Shack TRaSh-80s while working there in High School. C64, Amigas, then PCs.

I've been an electronics tech for over 20 years, fixed a lot of consumer, prosumer, and professional electronics. I love fixing, modding, and building from scratch. I've only recently gotten the bits of paper that say I can do what I can already do: I got two CETs (consumer electronics and computers), just got my Extra class ham license last year by taking all three tests in one sitting, and finally went back to school and got a 2 year Associate of Technology degree as an Electronics Engineering Technician.

Steve Greenfield AE7HD

Comment

new guy

When my son in law gave me 2 flat screens that didn't work, I googled the model # and found this website. What a great place! I tinker with many things but have never messed with TVs. After browsing around a bit, I know what's wrong (capacitors) and figured for an easy fix. UNTIL I started reading about soldering motherboards and practicing and what could go wrong, etc. I will read as much as I can before ordering parts and diving in.

I was on a thread for introductions, but I couldn't figure out how to place a post there, so I'm doing it here so i can gain access to more places on this website.

Thanks moderators, I look forward to new adventures in tinkering!!!

Comment

Re: new guy

Originally posted by jimdandar View Post
                                      When my son in law gave me 2 flat screens that didn't work, I googled the model # and found this website. What a great place! I tinker with many things but have never messed with TVs. After browsing around a bit, I know what's wrong (capacitors) and figured for an easy fix. UNTIL I started reading about soldering motherboards and practicing and what could go wrong, etc. I will read as much as I can before ordering parts and diving in.

I was on a thread for introductions, but I couldn't figure out how to place a post there, so I'm doing it here so i can gain access to more places on this website.

Thanks moderators, I look forward to new adventures in tinkering!!!
                                      There is a new member thread; it's stickied in the Announcements area. I am merging this thread into it.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Found you guys after "Googling" my Emerson TV Power board.Im just an old phone man
                                        (40 years) communications contractor living in SW Virginia. My TV ( boat anchor) died the other night and I was searching for a power board when I found your site.Very knowledgable bunch of folks it seems. Glad to be on board.

Comment

Thank you

I just wanted to say thanks for the help and suggestions from people here. I bought the Hakko FX-888 soldering iron and I *love* it. Makes desoldering WAY easier. I am 4 for 4 on the LCD monitor/TV repair now and I am having a blast doing it. So far, a huge sense of accomplishment each time they come back to life.

I'm sure I will be visiting more when other people start asking me to fix their stuff. Thanks again.

J_K_M_A_N

Comment

Working...
                                          X