This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

hello all, posting this quick wave to introduce myself and dig into the threads here.

10y Vet of USN (ET1) satellite communications, submarine com and buoy systems, test equipment and RADAR repair and instructor duty for ET'A' school.

5y electronics instructor for San Diego CC
    a stint at Motorola Cellular (E-Tac) Group.
    7y at Baxter Healthcare, Medication Delivery R&D
    now at the Univ. of Wisconsin, Parkside as the "Geek in the basement" for the Natural Sciences...(in other words and in my opinion...happily retired!)

Ham Radio enthusiast (KB2IRI) tech. class <-- i never mastered cw
    computer geek since 1979 (first 'puters owned were #1. Zig-80 prototype board, #2 TRS-80 CoCo w/cassette o/l storage... then #3 was a TRS Model III before jumping into the X86 family)--> still a pc guy today with my core i5 LT at home and this POS p4 at the "Uni"

Working on salvaging two Samsung LCD monitors and this site has been very helpful for at least the first... Thanks for the great info! See you all in the threads.

Vince (VEG)

Comment

Hello and good life to everyone ('cause "day" is too short !),

I was* a technician in electricity & electronics in Belgium and my first job in a nuclear plant - moved to Canada and became programmer/analyst on IBM32 = RPG2 and TRS80... = Basic/DOS.

* Motorbike induced coma and since my memory act as an old floppy or tape: permanently disabled.

Marc

Comment

Hi All

I have just joined, although I have browsed the forum a number of times.
        I am based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
        I studied electronics in the late 80's and moved into computers in the 90's
        I currently do IT support for small businesses.

Reason for joining is I am trying to repair 2 LCD monitors and needed access to download a circuit diagram.

Thanks for a great Forum!

Comment

Hi. I'm Sheldon and I found this site through a google search while trying to track down the possible causes of failures of several motherboards I own. I have 2 Asus P4C800E Deluxe motherboards that have plagued me for some time. From what I can tell, capacitor problems are most likely to blame (one is obvious, now that I've researched it), and I look forward to attempting to replace them. If I am successful, I might be able to resurrect some friend's boards as well. After spending a little while reading from this site, I've been enlightened to how the quality of capacitors affect motherboard stability, functionality, and reliability. I look forward to learning much more from the fellow users on this board.

Comment

hi i am shojisen from india.

Comment

... I've been enlightened to how the quality of capacitors affect motherboard stability, functionality, and reliability.
              It's a modern, "For the lack of a nail ..." situation. A handful of 10-cent or 20-cent parts can muck up an MB costing a 100 (or more) times as much.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Hi, I'm Mike!

I have a Polaroid TLX-03210B that I need to replace the cap's on. Hoping someone might know where I an find some local so I dont have to wait for them to arrive....

Comment

Hello, I'm Measuray,

Thanks for having me. Wow, there's a lot of people in the room. I wish everyone good health and good wisdom.

Comment

Hi, I'm Alexey from Russia!

Trying to repair my monitor Acer AL2423W and so have found this good forum with a lot of good people.

Comment

Hi

I am from uk, learning to repair electronic items, hope I would get help from experienced people from here.

thanks

Comment

Hey Guys, I'm Kyle, I love computers, but am getting afraid of using my dell!

Comment

Hi to All, I am David. I am a graduate Chemical Engineer. I retired in 1998. I have recently started repairing TVs for a hobby. This forum is full of good information. Right now I am repairing a Vizio vw42l that has no picture or sound and have found the discussions very helpful.

Comment

Hello to everyone! I am really very happy to be a member of this forum. I am a graduate in electronic and telecom from India and at present working in Saudi Arabia in broadcasting.I am very much interested in Computer as this helps me in my day to day work with the present day TV Studios and Transmitters. Thank You

Comment

Greetings. I work in IT and have had my fair share of repairing cr@p monitors and power supplies from D - E - double hockey sticks. Figure I would join up and chat with y'all.

-Alan

Comment

Hi guys!

I'm from Andalucia, Spain.

I'm starting an IT assistance company (and it's being veeery dificult in the begining).

I love tinkering and modding electronics, my main area of expertise is videogames consoles (I prefer modding/repair old ones!).

I've been searching for a site like this for ages!.

If I can help anyone drop me a message and I'll do my best to help you.

Also, if you need any document o information translated to/from spanish I'll do my best to collaborate.

My best wishes to everybody.

Comment

Hi

I am from Lithuania
                                  I am the master of TV Repair

Comment

My name is Ray,

Neighbor was throwing away a monitor and here I am trying to figure it all out...

Comment

Hi, My name is Luis
                                      I'm a copier technician by trade since @1991, my duaghters monitor stopped working, she asked if i could fix it.Well i said "ahh.. Sure i give it a try! whats the worst that can happen its allready broke!
                                      it wasnt powering up and power led would just flashing, i figuired maybe something related to the power supply like a cold solder joint or a cap gone bad. i see this every now and again on some power supply's on copier machines.
                                      I took it apart and notice a burnt ic. did a quick search on the chips model number on google and thats how i arrive here. looks like a few people have had this problem and seems like a common issue with this monitor(HYUNDAI L90D+)and info provided was quite helpful as it gives me a starting point. I havent repaired it just yet as its laying all apart as i type this message, So i'll need to order the ic.
                                      Anyway just wanted to say THANKS for a great forum guys!

Comment

Hi Everyone !!

Been a member ~2mos. now but never had a chance to get "started" [family elders--sorry]. I'm a 65+ yr/old R&D Lab Engineer {Ret.]--well, kinda...
                                        Spent my youth experimenting with electronics, lots Heathkit test equipment, 5" scope from scratch, Geiger Counter [CK1026], my first home built "Hi-Fi" with Eico HF-12 and a Heathkit 7" R2R. Messed with transistors when a discrete device was a [big] pencil eraser--2N107/CK722/2N222--you get the drill.
                                        Spent 4 yrs Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, 3yrs on a tin can, last one in Danang, got out E5 in 1970. About 20+ yrs Operations Management, till the 3rd downsizing, then went back to school to get a technical degree. Did very well--3.86GPA. Finally got the job of my dreams, R&D Lab Technician [programming-LabView/Borland C/Basic, DAQ-10 Stations, build/upgrade PC's, design/build custom test equipment, etc], then later Lab Engineer. Saw my boss once a year--wrote my own performance goals my 3rd year. then left after another Corp T/O, now semi-retired...trying to find out what I want to do with the rest of my life...

Enough of me, --you guys [& gals], look like a great group, full of [from what I've read], immeasurable talent [been reading the forums extensively]. Hope I measure up to your image & standards. Thanks for having me, see you around---got to get over to one of the forums [audio, maybe], and confirm shelf life on large [uF]/new [unused], electrolytic filter capacitors....think I know, just want confirmation....

Later.....

Sam Lyckholm
                                        Crestline CA 92325
                                        Last edited by holmwel; 03-17-2012, 11:59 PM. Reason: re: grammar

Comment

I tried . . .

Well, the good news is that I replaced the capacitors all by myself. The bad news is that I didnt know what I was doing, and I burned some of the board circuitry with the solder iron & shorted out some other areas with sloppy solder. Arghh!!! . . . I should have asked my techy son-in-law for help!! (I had no idea he was so smart!!) He was able to restore most of my damage, and the board does work & I have my oven & timers back . . . kinda . .
                                          But not everything is working 100%, so I'm in the market for a new board after all. Darn!!
                                          Good try tho . . .

Comment

Working...
                                          X