Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake SAMXON cap in Corsair PSU?

Hi,

I´ve just recapped (and fixed, more of this later) my Corsair CX430 V2 power supply, and found one of the capacitors not looking like the rest in the SAMXON GF series. Please see attached photos.

All the GF's are dark green and one is light green. The difference is greater in reality compared to the photos. Also, the bung is different. Might this one (the 3,3mF) be a fake you think...?

NONE of the caps was within limits when tested with a professional bench LCR-measuring device, especially the small Jun Fu 1uF 50V had an ESR of whopping 3 kohms. The SAMXON's were either low on capacitance and/or high ESR. None had bulged. The power supply has been in light use for about eight months 24/7 prior failure. The symptom was that the computer didn´t start at all, only the fans and hard drive spun up.

I´ve recapped it with various Rubycon ZLJ's, Panasonic FM, Suncon WX, ELNA's and UCC for the small caps. That´s what I had available at the time... Want to see the end result to? OK, I´ll attach one more photo

What do you think?
    Attached Files

Re: Fake SAMXON cap in Corsair PSU?

I don't think they are fake. Samxon is cheap shit. They probably just used what ever bongs there where cheapest that week.

Comment

I don´t like the SAMXON either, I replace them on sight, especially the GF series. But why is one of the capacitors so different from the others?

Comment

I noticed the same thing with two Samxon caps I removed from a cheap label printer. They actually had the same bung styles shown in the picture (one perfectly flat, one with a raised portion between the leads). I posted the pictures here.

Comment

Samxon are often inconsistent with their designs, so this comes as no big surprise. If you think the CX series use bad caps, wait for the VS series!
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well CrapOn is not any better, both of them has the same value, same series, same diameter, but they are not the same length. May be they ran out of the large cans, or they just fake the smaller one as the big one.
            Attached Files
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              Samxon are often inconsistent with their designs, so this comes as no big surprise. If you think the CX series use bad caps, wait for the VS series!
              Funny, I remember when all of Corsair's PSUs were made by SeaSonic and were of top quality (even the budget models). Man have they gone downhill fast! First they went to CWT, but still used decent components. Then they started to cheap out on the components, especially in entry level units. What's next? Maybe L&C, ATNG, SunPro, or Yuelin at the rate they are going.
              Last edited by dmill89; 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Well, I've had a sneak peak at the up and coming Corsair VS450W. It's made by CWT, but the PFC cap and a few of the output filters were made by Jun Fu!
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                  I noticed the same thing with two Samxon caps I removed from a cheap label printer. They actually had the same bung styles shown in the picture (one perfectly flat, one with a raised portion between the leads). I posted the pictures here.
                  Yup, I recognise that post Inconsistancy in production at it´s "best"

Comment

Well, I've had a sneak peak at the up and coming Corsair VS450W. It's made by CWT, but the PFC cap and a few of the output filters were made by Jun Fu!
                    Wonder what the retail price of the VS series will be then ... The CX430 V2 cost about $50 US here in Sweden and the design itself is pretty decent IMHO; stable voltages on the output, high efficiency and more. I think it will do great after the cap upgrade I made.

If < $50 and what can you expect at all then? It´s brave of Corsair if they still stick to the three year warranty, like with the CX series with perhaps even LOWER quality components.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                      Well CrapOn is not any better, both of them has the same value, same series, same diameter, but they are not the same length. May be they ran out of the large cans, or they just fake the smaller one as the big one.
                      Have you measured their capacitance? The date codes suggest the shorter one was made before the longer one.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me much. CWT uses Jun Fu on other units they OEM. Most of the CWT built Thermaltakes have JunFu on the secondary (I've got a TR2 550W that has Rubycons on the primary and JunFu everywhere else, I only use it for testing so I haven't recapped it yet but I probably will when I get board someday). Of course if Corsair goes this route and keeps the 3 year warranty they may end up with a ton of RMAs like Antec did with the SmartPower/TruePower series.

Originally posted by imp
                        If < $50 and what can you expect at all then? It´s brave of Corsair if they still stick to the three year warranty, like with the CX series with perhaps even LOWER quality components.
                        I don't necessarily expect high quality Japanese caps at that price point, but I at least expect some mediocre Taiwanese caps like Teapo, OST, Ltec, or SuScon. Those might not be the best but they at least have a chance of lasting a few years. There is no excuse for using crap like JunFu ("cough" Fuhjyyu) that is virtually guaranteed to fail.

Comment

Are you saying that Corsair has model confusions like CoolMax seems to.

(Where V-500 isn't better than its other models, if not worse.)
                          (And IIRC, the V-500 is a "500 divided-by-2" or roughly that!)

Where VS450 is inferior to CX430?!

Appears that's the same tactic that CoolMax uses.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The VS450x is 230v only, and I believe they're only to be sold in Asia... but who knows.

Yeah, on these budget power supplies they're gonna cheap out on capacitors.

Comment

That's very scary. Perhaps CWT is playing name games with capacitors, hoping people don't know the connection between Fuhjyyu and Jun Fu...

EDIT: So Corsair is the new Antec???
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                That's very scary. Perhaps CWT is playing name games with capacitors, hoping people don't know the connection between Fuhjyyu and Jun Fu...

EDIT: So Corsair is the new Antec???
                                Or I suppose Corsair would be the new old Antec since Antec hasn't used Fuhjyyus, or CWT for that matter, for several years now. In fact Antec's higher end models (HCG and HCP) use 100% Japanese caps now.

It is almost the exact opposite course of events between the two. Antec PSUs started out pretty poor and got progressively better. Corsair PSUs started as some of the best around and have gotten progressively worse.

Comment

I would say people bashing Samxon are just stupid idiots or trolls. It has been proved beyond all doubts Samxon is good brand over the last what, five years? I use them on my own for liek three years now.

The thing is, their GF series is nothing spectacular. On the other hand, neither is Chemi-Cons KZG, right?
                                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                    I would say people bashing Samxon are just stupid idiots or trolls. It has been proved beyond all doubts Samxon is good brand over the last what, five years? I use them on my own for liek three years now.

The thing is, their GF series is nothing spectacular. On the other hand, neither is Chemi-Cons KZG, right?
                                    There is nothing wrong in beeing cheap.
                                    Just like there is nothing wroong in buying caps of Ebay and then come complain here when you see they are fake ...

Comment

Well I buy only caps with good enough photos from eBaywhere I would recognize them being fakes. Last time boguht 1000 of 1000uF Rubycons MBZ. Capacitance still arround 750 uF what is pretty good considering they have been unused since they have been made back in 2005

An oh, no, Samxon's are not cheap. Comparable Chemi-Cons are much cheaper from Digi-Key. The thing is, I can order for as much as 200 USD only like once a year to not pay another 70 USD for postage
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

imp, you might want to replace the Elna's you put in there, Elna is a good mfg, but their caps are not rated for low esr, and high temps.

-Ben
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X