Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD 32 TV turns off by itself

Model Technika LCD32-207
    TV turns itself off by itself into standby mode, LED is normal colour (blue) and does not flash, no unusual clicking, buzzing or popping sounds.
    I can turn the TV on again only for it turn off again, this may after 10 seconds or 20 mins.
    When working, the picture appears normal

Is this likely to be a PSU failure or main board failure or both?

On inspection:

The PSU is 17PW20.1- 010507 possibly vestel
    The main board is 17MB12-3 possibly vestel
    (i say possibly as it does not have vestel printed on the board)

There does not appear to be damage to either board, the capacitors do not appear to be blown, no bulging or leaking and no obvious discolouration to any.
    My knowledge of testing electronics is limited, i.e, no equipment other than a good soldering iron.

Anybody any thoughts?

Darren.

Re: LCD 32 TV turns off by itself

Originally posted by Chandyman View Post
    Model Technika LCD32-207
    TV turns itself off by itself into standby mode, LED is normal colour (blue) and does not flash, no unusual clicking, buzzing or popping sounds.
    I can turn the TV on again only for it turn off again, this may after 10 seconds or 20 mins.
    When working, the picture appears normal

Is this likely to be a PSU failure or main board failure or both?

On inspection:

The PSU is 17PW20.1- 010507 possibly vestel
    The main board is 17MB12-3 possibly vestel
    (i say possibly as it does not have vestel printed on the board)

There does not appear to be damage to either board, the capacitors do not appear to be blown, no bulging or leaking and no obvious discolouration to any.
    My knowledge of testing electronics is limited, i.e, no equipment other than a good soldering iron.

Anybody any thoughts?

Darren.
    this model suffers with bad caps,repaired one recently with same symptoms,heat up the capacitors with a hot hairdrier just to confirm,they dont fail bloated or leaky,panasonic fc are good for these ,the ones you have are gp caps
    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

If that doesn't fix, 17PW20 supplies are often fixed by replacing them outright - they are about 20 quid on ebay for 17PW15-9 (which is compatible.)
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
        this model suffers with bad caps,repaired one recently with same symptoms,heat up the capacitors with a hot hairdrier just to confirm,they dont fail bloated or leaky,panasonic fc are good for these ,the ones you have are gp caps
        thanks for replying multimeter,

OK, so the caps can still fail even if they look good, i guess this is where good testing equipment comes in.
        Is it likely to be the PCU?
        Does heating the capacitors solve/may solve the problem? how hot should i heat them? will i see something happen to the caps or is it just a case of putting it all back together after heating and trying it?

Thanks Darren

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
          If that doesn't fix, 17PW20 supplies are often fixed by replacing them outright - they are about 20 quid on ebay for 17PW15-9 (which is compatible.)
          Thanks tom66,

With your suggestion to possibly replace 17pw20, do you think its the PCU that's the problem?

Darren
          Last edited by Chandyman; 04-15-2012, 07:48 AM. Reason: name change

Comment

Originally posted by Chandyman View Post
            thanks for replying multimeter,

OK, so the caps can still fail even if they look good, i guess this is where good testing equipment comes in.
            Is it likely to be the PCU?
            Does heating the capacitors solve/may solve the problem? how hot should i heat them? will i see something happen to the caps or is it just a case of putting it all back together after heating and trying it?

Thanks Darren
            heating the capacitors wont solve your problem,it will verify that they are faulty(sometimes),heating will drop the esr (resistance) of the caps enough to get them working again,you need to direct the hairdrier directly onto the caps on the power supply,you will proberly find that the output caps are high esr,which are failing,but not always these,could be others in the feedback circuit,or in the primary side,to be sure when you want to replace them, that you check the old ones against there respective datasheet just google it,and compare,esr,ripple,and voltage,the ones you most likely have wont show an esr reading on the datasheet beacause of being general purpose caps,but panasonic fc is a better than good choice for replacements,technika are profound lovers of crap caps,in fact technika is crap !
            fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
            please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
              heating the capacitors wont solve your problem,it will verify that they are faulty(sometimes),heating will drop the esr (resistance) of the caps enough to get them working again,you need to direct the hairdrier directly onto the caps on the power supply,you will proberly find that the output caps are high esr,which are failing,but not always these,could be others in the feedback circuit,or in the primary side,to be sure when you want to replace them, that you check the old ones against there respective datasheet just google it,and compare,esr,ripple,and voltage,the ones you most likely have wont show an esr reading on the datasheet beacause of being general purpose caps,but panasonic fc is a better than good choice for replacements,technika are profound lovers of crap caps,in fact technika is crap !
              Thanks multimeter,
              Yes, i have read today that technika is on the poorer side of poor, might have a go at testing and replacing the old caps with the better panasonic stuff. From what i've read, many knowledgeable folk on here recommend panasonic caps

I assume then that panasonic is an all round better TV to purchase than most other brands.

Darren

Comment

Panasonic makes many many items, capacitors, computers, nuclear power plants. Im sure they used some non panasonic parts in their computers lol.

Just because a company makes 1 thing well doesnt mean they make everything well, or that they even use their own parts.

Most obvious example : Samsung owns a very high quality LCD panel factory, but samsung uses cheaper chinese / chungwa panels in almost all of their products now, because consumers dont know better...

Besides teknica probably isnt even a real brand, but just a brand that Funai corp markets. (they produce cheap electronics under almost 10 different names)
                Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by cashkennedy View Post
                  Panasonic makes many many items, capacitors, computers, nuclear power plants. Im sure they used some non panasonic parts in their computers lol.

Just because a company makes 1 thing well doesnt mean they make everything well, or that they even use their own parts.

Most obvious example : Samsung owns a very high quality LCD panel factory, but samsung uses cheaper chinese / chungwa panels in almost all of their products now, because consumers dont know better...

Besides teknica probably isnt even a real brand, but just a brand that Funai corp markets. (they produce cheap electronics under almost 10 different names)
                  Thanks cashkennedy

I see your point, nicely put.

Darren

Comment

Hi - if you are going to try and fix this you will need a digital multimeter, if this is a one off venture into electronics you can probably get by with a one for a few pounds.
                    We can help a lot more if you post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Example
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                      Hi - if you are going to try and fix this you will need a digital multimeter, if this is a one off venture into electronics you can probably get by with a one for a few pounds.
                      We can help a lot more if you post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Example
                      Thanks selldoor,

Not completely a one off venture, although my knowledge is currently very basic, i am very intrigued by the whole electronics thing. Recently purchased a soldering iron with different sized tips and a good practice using it. Managed to resolder a new jack plug on to my laptop which had been playing up for some time. That left me very pleased with myself and eager to learn more. It wont be long before i'm looking at purchasing a multimeter.
                      Thanks for the advice on the pics, i will sort some out as soon i can work out how to, lol.

Darren

Comment

I have just repaired a goodmans 22" TV/DVD combi (vestel) that would take a few mins before the set would come on and looking at the caps on the PSU they looked ok but there were some G-LUXON caps.

I decided to replace all the caps on the board and that cured the fault so for the sake of a few £'s it's worth replacing them.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by radioredcat View Post
                          I have just repaired a goodmans 22" TV/DVD combi (vestel) that would take a few mins before the set would come on and looking at the caps on the PSU they looked ok but there were some G-LUXON caps.

I decided to replace all the caps on the board and that cured the fault so for the sake of a few £'s it's worth replacing them.

Andy
                          Hi Andy
                          Great stuff!

Are G-LUXON caps rubbish?
                          What make did you replace them with?

Darren

Comment

In a word yes (At least on a power suppy board)

If you go to this page there are a couple of threads a bit down the page give good advice.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumd...aysprune=&f=24

Most electronic outlets wont have them, eg maplins wont but in mcr there might be somewhere.

cpc in preston carry most requirements or Farnells in leeds

you can also digikey and mouser who have uk presence/websites.

All down to who has what and postage.
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Example
                              hi selldoor,

Just tried taking pics of all the stuff you advised, however, the pics have not come out that clear. will try again tomorrow morning when theres more light.

Darren

Comment

If you go to this page there are a couple of threads a bit down the page give good advice.

Most electronic outlets wont have them, eg maplins wont but in mcr there might be somewhere.

Hi selldoor,

I live in Chorley, so not too far away from CPC in preston, although it might be cheaper to pay post than travel. Force of habit having my profile as manchester as i work in there. Thanks for the thread advice.

Darren

Comment

Thanks.

Thats a very informative thread!

Comment

Hi Chandyman I used panasonic and rubycon from CPC and s for G-luxon caps I have seen a lot of these caps go bad so yes i would describe them as rubbish.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by radioredcat View Post
                                      Hi Chandyman I used panasonic and rubycon from CPC and s for G-luxon caps I have seen a lot of these caps go bad so yes i would describe them as rubbish.

Andy
                                      Thanks Andy,
                                      Mine are G-LUXON and SAMXON (which i assume are just as bad)

Do you replace them like for like, i.e same voltage and uf or can there be a little difference
                                      Darren

Comment

Example
                                        Hi selldoor,

Here are the pics of the chassis, front and back of the power unit with close up on the connectors and front and back of the main board.

Darren
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X