X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello, all.

Just a nerd from Portland getting back into electronics after working in avionics software. It seems that the bad cap plague will never truly abate. I first suffered through bad caps on my old Abit KT7A-series motherboards and seemingly every other electronic device that I purchase eventually succumbs to the low quality electrolytics that seem to be in nearly everything these days. Replacing nearly 1000 Dell Optiplex motherboards in less than a week wasn't very fun.
    Oh, well. Keeps my rework station hot and my power bills slightly higher. Someone is winning somewhere.

Comment

I am an old tech who has forgotten more than he's learned so I need refreshers and looking things up all the time.

I was about 8 years old when I got my first electronics kit and have been doing it ever since. I took two years of electronics in HS and a college electronics repair class while in HS. I spent 3 years in the Navy in avionics. I've been a working tech my whole life. No degrees, just a lot of hard work and experience with some training thrown in. General electronics, radio, traffic signal controllers, computers, networking, pretty much the whole gamut.

I'm pleased to have found this forum. Lots of good info here.

Comment

Hi,my name is Roy. Colorado springs, Co. I like to take it apart,try new things.Interested in fixing tv's I have three (DOA) to play with.Thanks

Comment

Hi.
          Name's Dragon-Driver from the UK and I'm new to DIY, and hope this community will
          help me improve and gain new skills

Comment

My name is Eric, and I need help!

(https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19562)

Comment

Hi and Thank for this website. It its amazing and it helps a lot of folks out there.

Comment

Hey all!

Comment

Hi!

I'm really ratdude747. This is an account I created to troubleshoot some Uploading glitches...

Comment

hi im jason from southampton
                    iv been looking for a while so thought i might aswell join
                    first off there are a few legends in here firstof all big up to tomm66 your a ledg mate you never giv up til you find whats wrong and tomcat my mate has a nissan fairlady 300zx twin turbo and its got the sexiest curves of any car iv ever seen iv always wanted one (jealous)
                    iv been a tech for 10 years on refigeration mechanics and electronics done quite a lot in the past few years to component level and i love it no beter feeling of finding an elusive problem and fixing it .
                    well i hope i can be of help to all and the like wise , nice to join the forum and you guys rule!!
                    Last edited by clean-machines; 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Last edited by clean-machines; 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: didnt realise i could edit posts sorry learning

Comment

Hi i'm Jonathan from Canada, i'm fresh out of my repair audio/video school. I learned for a year and a half the basics of electronics and repairing TVs and audio video devices. Started working for a small service center with a 74 year old man that as been in the business for 50 years, he sees electronics problems like Neo can see a glich in the matrix. I have a great teacher except for plasma tv wich he knows some basics but when we encounter some bigger problems we cannot find what to fix. For some reason in school they skipped teaching us on plasma tv's and showed us those old tube tv's instead.
                        And this is why i'm on the badcaps forums, to try and find some common problems other people have with plasmas.

Comment

First post.

Comment

Hi I am a Computer tech from way back my first big system was brand new in 1979 and was a 08086 LOL still have it , any how a year back i had a TV go bad and i fixed it with a few new Caps and since then I have grabbed all the LCD and Plasmas i can get my hands on read everything I can find on the subject and am still fairly piss poor at fixing them but sometimes i get lucky i want to be a member to hone my skills , I also am collecting all the tvs i can anything with serious problems or smashed screens gets pulled apart for boards need one let me know I may have it i already have a garage half full of the stuff . Ask me if I do I will be cheaper than anyone else , If i don't oh well . Thanks and I am looking forward to learning lots here Rob P. PS from Canada too Saskatchewan area To the Mods you guys should have a used board area where peeps can post there used crap tools boards etc etc it would be a huge help to all of us who have and who look .
                            Last edited by Captin21; 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM.
                            Hobbiest with some skills need to learn Lots also have a large colection of spare boards if anyone needs ask I may have

Comment

Hi I have been dabbling in computer and electronic repair for the past 10 years and am happy to have found this site. It is going to be nice to be a member of a community where others share the same excitement that I do.

Comment

Newbie here. I've been researching like crazy because I'm too cheap and too broke to buy new TV's for my restaurants. I'm a sub shop owner by trade. Young, educated, skilled at welding, automotive, car audio, but haven't done much with electronics repair.

Learned how to replace Caps a couple years ago because we have 5 Dell sx280's in both of my restaurants and they computers were crapping out like crazy. Got tired of buying new ones. Learned how to replace the caps and life got better. Then had an Olevia 37" go under at my work and fixed that with new caps. Then had an old 32" vizio with the little voltage regulator in the u33 go under and fixed that with your help. Starting to make it a hobby now. I've got a 42" LG plasma I'm working on and a 26" vizio with bad caps. The LG seems to need a YSUS board.... hopefully nothing else. Still learning what the heck I'm doing.

Comment

Greetings from FixitLand!

Glad to be here (at least electronically! <grin>)! Found this board while looking for info pertinent to my currently-dead Power Mac G4 MDD; this is a great resource and I look forward to reading through the many posts. As for me: I am the "fix-it-guy" at our local public-access television facility; have been here for 23 years, and have been an electronics hobbyist for 43 years. I like to build tube audio stuff as well as "sand"-based circuits.

We learned the hard way 'round here that electrolytic capacitors are to blame for most of our gear's ills. Example: Years ago, we had three Panasonic 700CLE cameras and control units in our mobile unit. The cameras were kept in the building but the CCUs were kept out in an unheated truck. You guessed it...the CCUs soon became inoperable. I replaced quite a number of leaky yellow Elna 10-uF caps (why Panasonic, a component manufacturer, would use someone else's caps is a mystery!), which got the gear operable again. The Pana caps in the gear were fine; only the Elnas went leaky. (And I mean literally leaky, with goo oozing out the rubber seal on the lead ends!)

Take care,
                                  --
                                  J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

Comment

Greetings. I'm a programming wizard (C / C++) who spends most of his spare time hacking electronics - pliers, flat screwdriver, and a dremel are things that I couldn't live without. My soldering skills are pretty good for through-hole, and somewhat amateur for SMT (2-pad leaded only at the moment - no hot-air rework station for leadless and IC packages). BGA skills are non-existent, so no, I can't un-RRoD xbox 360's :P
                                    I also repurpose old computer power supplies as benchtop 3.3/5/12v PSUs.

My reason for joining is that not all magic smoke implies a total circuit fatality, so spend a few dollars on replacement caps and everything works fine.

Comment

Hey Everone,

My handle is Quixotic. As the handle suggest I think just about anything can be fixed.
                                      I am a controls engineer with a BS in Automated Manufacturing Technology. I specialize mostly in Allen Bradley PLCs, but I also program lots of other stuff, too numerous to mention. My associates is
                                      Electrical Engineering. I have gotten away from electrical/electronic stuff for so long I can't even remember the resistor color codes. Lol Anyway, I am a recent transplant from Michigan to South Carolina due to the poor economy. In the automotive industry it's either feast or famine, and it has been famine for a long time now.

A friend of mine asked me to look at a tv he bought at a yard sale. I stumbled upon this forum and it was just what I needed. I had that tv humming a new tune in a couple of hours. Once my friends at church heard I fixed my friends tv they were lining up around the block wanting me to fix thier stuff, so I'll probably be asking lots of questions. Well that's enough about me.

Best regards,

Comment

Hello folks, my name is ... John, and I'm a _______________.
                                        (oh wait, that's a different forum, isn't it?)

I recalled seeing/hearing about this place when I started looking into why electronics were so flaky (it just seemed to me that it should be less flaky and more durable, so I got curious...) I think I may have looked in here once or twice over the years, so thought I should probably say hi now that I'm back again with more free time on my hands. soooo..... HIYA!

My first computer was assembled from random parts in the 8086 days, spread out across a small conference table for ease of tinkering and cooling. For instance, my 5MB and 10MB hard disks had serious heat issues, so a fan blew across these 24/7. A major revelation in my world came when I happened upon a Mo/Dem (300baud !) and after dialing a few random numbers (including a drycleaner establishment) I came across telephone numbers for enthusiasts setting up and listing their own and others BBS systems... BOOM! My life changed. RBBS,TBBS,FALKEN and a host of other home brewed systems and many years later I found myself working in software QA in the medical field. In general, I tend to prefer working for non-profits because I won't sign off on medical software that hasn't been tested over a compete matrix and documented to do what it says it will do. (note, you really want that stuff to work, if it is tracking chain of custody, for say... a pint of blood...)

Okay, I just noticed that I've rambled way afield of just saying "hi folks!" so I'm going to just end this now.

If you read this far, thanks, and uh... "HIYA!".
                                        -John_Carter

Comment

Hello everybody and let me thank you all for all the good information posted throughout this forum. It has made my life easier on learning electronics and the tricks off LCD Monitors repairing.

Best regards y'all !

Comment

Working...
                                          X