KZG's still bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KZG's still bad?

Yo guys, I got Lenovo M57 microcomputer system in my hands. It is basically full of Chemi-Cons KZG, 1000 uF/6,3 V and 1500 uF/10 V. The big question is are they still bad, or has Nippon Chemi-Con changed the electrolyte?

Cause, you know, it has to hold at least a year when I will provide warranty reselling it, on the other hand, if they are good (or at least better than used to be), I can spare my Rubycons and the time, too

I don't know the exact manufacturing year, but they are darker than used to be, marked 8(7) 4R, 8(7) 4Z and 6(T) 2I. I guess this is new dating system as the older one I found definitely won't apply on this. Or they are just OEM's with different marking.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: KZG's still bad?

KZG are still bad, and I can't see that changing any time soon. Nobody outside of badcaps.net even realizes they are bad.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yep.
      KZG & KZJ -> avoid like the plague

Comment

You haven't pleased me guys, that means I have to still change them before I will even try to offer it for sale
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

The problem is that it takes months to recognize there's a problem, get NCC to recognize it and cleanse stocks at OEMs and Disties. Hundreds of thousands or millions of the things are "out there", many already installed. Then there's the purged parts ... there are many paths to the grey market between various stockrooms and the recyclers.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

But they manufacture this for some 8 years now…?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
              The problem is that it takes months to recognize there's a problem, get NCC to recognize it and cleanse stocks at OEMs and Disties. Hundreds of thousands or millions of the things are "out there", many already installed. Then there's the purged parts ... there are many paths to the grey market between various stockrooms and the recyclers.
              I think that by this point, they are aware of it:

Most likely the electrolyte formula has more now to do with "planned obsolescence" than it has to do with negligence. Though we can never forget the old adage "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I think the KZG and KZJ may have come into production in 2007 or 2008; if so, 4 or 5 years ago. Those years would be the time frame when I tested them. They did not do well, nor were they spectacularly bad. Obviously, the samples I tested were relatively new, so if the trouble takes a few months to develop, my tests (and at least some of mobo companies' - and possibly NCC's - tests) would not have caught that problem. Once in production and qualified by OEMs, there is significant inertia and reluctance to recognize/admit a serious problem with a carefully tested critical part. NCC's reputation is/was golden; when you have 10s or 100s of thousands of parts in stock and in constant use, the, "Oh, bleep! You want me to stop the line?!" reluctance is very large.

There are a lot of UCC/NCC sales people wandering around Asia, EuroLand and the Americas right now wearing asbestos-and-kevlar business suits.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I think the KZG and KZJ may have come into production in 2007 or 2008 ; if so, 4 or 5 years ago
                  Did you not see the pic I posted? July 2003... That's short of 9 years... There's no way a company could not know of a defective product for that long... Nichicon fixed their HM/HN series late '04... I don't know how long the HM/HN series have been around.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    Nichicon fixed their HM/HN series late '04... I don't know how long the HM/HN series have been around.
                    IIRC the bad ones began in 2001...
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Did you not see the pic I posted?
                      No. For whatever reason, the computer from which I posted, the one I'm using right now, didn't/doesn't show that picture.
                      PeteS in CA

Comment

It shows here. It says KZG New Series Engineering Bulletin Jul 03.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

It shows here. It says KZG New Series Engineering Bulletin Jul 03.
                          I was posting from a shared computer at work (during break time). Network security there screens out a lot of stuff, though sometimes rather quirkily.
                          PeteS in CA

Comment

I've seen motherboards on newegg with KZG series, for example this Foxconn with AMD E-350 (which is probably a cpu not older than 1 year)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186212

If you zoom on the pictures, you can see functional polymers mixed with 1000uF 6.3v KZG and Teapo's.

I doubt Foxconn is really using super old stocks...

Comment

Yeah it is my case as well. There is few polymers, but the rest is KZG and the small are even some crappy brand…

Comment

I still see KZG and KZJ bad all the time, and in newer hardware. Avoid.
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                                Team : 49813
                                Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

2000 hour KZG caps aren't expected to last. We're just annoyed when these 2000 hour caps fail a lot sooner than other brands' 2000 hour caps. Either KZG is overrating or other brands are underrating.
                                  sig files are for morons

Comment

KZGs are just bad. Probably more like 100 hours endurance.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

NCC ceased to manufacture them? They are no longer in group chart! http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog...m_diagram.html

Comment

That must be their solution to the problem

Comment

Working...
                                        X