Funny Homemade BGA Welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Homemade BGA Welder

Okay, so I was just looking around on eBay for some various items and pricing, when I happened to come across this masterpiece of a BGA welder. I'm sorry if this is someone's on this forum! I just couldn't resist, when I saw that the heat plate was an electric skillet! Come on!!!!!!

Then the auction actually had a bid and it sold for $100.00 USD.

I applaud the person who put this together (for his artisan approach & thrifty-ness) and shake my head in shame to the person that just spent $100.00 on it...

I hope you guys can get a good laugh out this, I know I did!
    Attached Files

Re: Funny Homemade BGA Welder

You may laugh but I have mass desoldered components using a Electric skillet. It did work and it works quite well for warming up boards before desoldering.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerGeek View Post
      You may laugh but I have mass desoldered components using a Electric skillet. It did work and it works quite well for warming up boards before desoldering.
      And I'm not doubting that! But would you pay $100 for that?

Comment

The Aoyue 968 alone has a value of about $200. Mine died in 9 months though, they are not built well.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

If it was $100 for everything you have pictured the buyer got a good deal.

Comment

Well, I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is a little absurd... lol! I think I'm going to go purchase a couple of electric skillets and some garbage hot air guns and sell it on eBay as a BGA welder.

I understand putting this together to use it. A hot plate is a hot plate as long as it gets hot, it will do the trick. Then if your using hot air I guess you don't have to spend $40 on the stand and just make one out of wood. As Tom said that Aoyue is garbage, I can't really justify paying $100 for garbage and an electric skillet. But seeing I'm the odd man in this situation, If anyone needs a skillet let me know I will be selling home made BGA welders for $100.00 on eBay very soon!

Comment

well, i think the system in photos can work correctly, but the guy needs to care of extra heat. the electric skillets can work good as pre-warm the mother broad - that i did for several recent years . and the price, i think it inclused the knowledge of the guy, he fixed the heat gun in the right place

ok, it is true that it can't be compared with some pro bga solder, but you know the chinessesssss

Comment

Originally posted by herita View Post
                well, i think the system in photos can work correctly, but the guy needs to care of extra heat. the electric skillets can work good as pre-warm the mother broad - that i did for several recent years . and the price, i think it inclused the knowledge of the guy, he fixed the heat gun in the right place

ok, it is true that it can't be compared with some pro bga solder, but you know the chinessesssss
                I'm not doubting it will work, because as I said all you really need is heat. If you hook up a meter that has a thermometer on it you can see what the temp is and try your best to regulate it. I just can't get over that someone purchased this on eBay as a bga welder. I'm under the impression that the hot air station is a piece of junk and that you can buy an electric skillet from just about any discount store for under $30, so how this is a good deal is just beyond me.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I think you should use the proper tools for any job you do. If your getting started, whatever fake it till you make it, but put it all together yourself, so maybe you can learn what the issues are with the setup your using. I'm not saying go about it the way I did and spent a fortune on all the proper tools to learn and realize how much work is envolved, and notice that most of the time, it's not worth the amount of time to reball for customers, for the price you can charge. So, I was unable to turn the money around as fast as I would have liked.

Comment

to start with aoyue is crap the worst brand ever, its also the most popular because they came to the market before everybody

if you must buy a cheap station go with a different brand

those things can NEVER be a true bga rework station, they can be a cheap DIY chip removal system which you may have some success

success though is a very broad term in reworking

example user a gets 20 systems in and fixes 9 so he had success and they last for 2 yrs the others were just too far gone

user b gets 20 and fixes 16 but they all come back in 2 mths

i started with a griddle setup but realized it was not appropriate for large chips, for small ICs it works perfectly but for actual bga style chips it wont work

Comment

Working...
                  X