Dying PSU - guess which brand? Corsair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dying PSU - guess which brand? Corsair.

So, to cut the story short. Bought a brand new Corsair GS 700 (Gaming Series, yes) since i am a sucker for using all those power consuming parts, like dual HD 4890.

So, the best part - the PSU dies within 6 months of being bought new.
    It starts getting hick-ups and turns off within 5 minutes, it did so twice when i understood the problem is with PSU and left it be turned off.
    Next day - aint turning on at all, the fan spins twice before turning off.

Ive given it to two experienced people since now and they all have handed it back to me with the same response: ''dont see the problem, seems to be running perfectly''. I was handed it back, decided to give it a try - heh, really does work.... for about half a day before the same old trick.

Gave it to someone else to check the PSU out, and here come the conclussions:

1) The damn power cables are faulty - you move them and the power disappears.
    2) The PSU has a tendency of turning off whenever it is put to test or task, as i shall say.
    3) Some chips could or condensators could be fried, which causes the PSU to turn off randomly.

Truth be told, ive lost my Confidence or interest in Corsair as a brand at all.
    I dont see why i should pay top dollar for computer parts that die out within a few months.

So, any suggestions on how to fix this, if it is fixable at all?
    Custom built PC - AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 101, 8 Gigs of AMD Entertainment Ram @ 1600 Mhz DDR3, Club 3D HD 4890 1GB 256 bit GDDR5 with Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo, Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (CrossfireX)

Next build - i7

Re: Dying PSU - guess which brand? Corsair.

I've tried to avoid Corsair PSU's. Doesn't that model use Teapo caps? I'd check them. Clear pics of the inside would be great

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      I've tried to avoid Corsair PSU's. Doesn't that model use Teapo caps? I'd check them. Clear pics of the inside would be great
      No. The GS800 model uses a mix of UCC and Teapo but mostly Teapo.

The GS700 model uses all Samxon GF series for the secondary:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1617/5
      The electrolytic capacitors used in the secondary are from Samxon and labeled at 105ยบ C, as usual. See Figure 20.
      If they were Teapo SC, like in the GS800, it would have lasted a lot longer. Teapo SC is probably one of the best non-reliable series out there.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        No. The GS800 model uses a mix of UCC and Teapo but mostly Teapo.

The GS700 model uses all Samxon GF series for the secondary:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/1617/5

If they were Teapo SC, like in the GS800, it would have lasted a lot longer. Teapo SC is probably one of the best non-reliable series out there.
        Ouch, Samxon GF?

Comment

I would create a new thread on the Jonnyguru forums about this.
          Corsair do have really good warranty and they have some company reps over there that glance over posts and they might be able to help you out...

Coincidentally I do have a similar issue with my Corsair TX650 PSU but I have not actually tried to RMA it over this issue (Works fine as long as I don't hotplug any harddrives)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66964
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Corsair is still supposed to have RMA for the power supplies, so go on their website and see what can be done.

You can check the jonnyguru.com forums (link above), there's a Corsair representative there who may be able to help you but try to do the rma process on the website yourself first.
            Jonnyguru owner himself works at Corsair now.

Yeah, don't bother complaining about capacitors to Corsair. They said they select just a few companies and analyze their quality and spew a lot of marketing talk, but they still mix capacitors between production batches even on their high end board. Seems like they just don't care, whatever is that day at the OEM manufacturer, that's what they use.

Ex see AX860i ones... some have fpcap polymers, some have capxon polymers... some have rubycon electrolytics on the modular interface, some have taicon.. see the explanations in the thread:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9530

They use Samxon on their budget psu pcbs all the time.

Seasonic so far is the only one I see they consistently use the same quality Japanese capacitors in their high end power supplies.
            If it was up to me, today I'd only buy the Seasonic G series designs

Comment

Why can't they use Samxon RS instead of Samxon GF?!
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Cant be done taken in mind that i dont have the original check, so i cant verify my purchasal of this PSU, neither can it be done taken in mind that the warranty seal has been broken.

Either way, here's some pictures i just took.

http://i50.tinypic.com/140g6li.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/set37s.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/f087yt.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/335beyp.jpg
                Custom built PC - AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 101, 8 Gigs of AMD Entertainment Ram @ 1600 Mhz DDR3, Club 3D HD 4890 1GB 256 bit GDDR5 with Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo, Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (CrossfireX)

Next build - i7

Comment

Very blurry photos, but it looks like yours has Teapo SC and not Samxon GF like Gabe's.

Would be interesting to test the Teapo SC caps. I have a bunch of them I took out of Fortron PSU's that are not bulged. If I ever end up buying an ESR meter, I would like to see just how many of them are really out of spec.

...Anyway, if you post a list of the caps, someone can help you find replacements. It's worth re-capping. CWT PSH-II platform. You probably also want to touch up weak lead-free solder joints with an iron and flux.

Comment

Sorry, couldn't think i coulda made any better screens atm, made it with an iphone 4 (not bragging, since i hate Iphones), the only thing better than that would be a small digital camera.

Any tips on how should i make this list? I wouldn't exactly deem myself as a professional when it comes to such things.

Edit: Yes, my PSU is using Teapo ones.

Also, apparently i have the discontinued version of the Gaming Series 700W Corsair PSU, aka CMPSU-700G.
                    Lucky me.
                    Last edited by Lyricist; 11-21-2012, 06:38 PM.

Next build - i7

Comment

Voltage, capacity, Brand, series, dimensions in mm (width x height).

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                        Why can't they use Samxon RS instead of Samxon GF?!
                        Because their specs aren't right.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

It's true, they're not as good as KZE, or as highly rated as Teapo SC. But for lower-wattage supplies, they're perfect.

Comment

Well, if im correct, it uses Teapo 2200 uF capacitors, 16V

http://i47.tinypic.com/2d2vc3.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/1ieuf7.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/mc3spt.jpg

Couldn't find info on web, though.
                            Last edited by Lyricist; 11-22-2012, 01:51 AM.

Next build - i7

Comment

Working...
                            X