Determining TV Model/Versions for Correct Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Determining TV Model/Versions for Correct Parts

I have seen many posts over time from people wondering if they can use a board from "X" model TV in their "Y" model TV. I also see posts from people who bought a board on ebay or other sources from the same model TV, and it does not work. I am sure that a lot of these are due to the versioning systems that manufacturers use. Proper checking of versions can greatly reduce your chances of getting the incorrect part.

Manufacturers often make changes to TVs during production runs. Sometimes to address problems found in earlier versions, sometimes due to changes in part availability or pricing. The bottom line is, You can often open up 2 TVs that are the same model, only to find that they are completely different inside, different boards, panels etc. Most manufacturers will indicate these changes in some fashion, if you know what to look for. Here are some that I am aware of, and I would love to see others chime in with versioning information that they may have on other manufacturers.

Sony: BEWARE!!! Sony changes versions on TVs often, and the ONLY indication will be in the serial number range. You must consult a cross reference on Sonys to be sure you get the correct parts. On Sony version changes, the parts are almost never interchangeable

Samsung: There will be a version number, sometimes on the Model/Serial number sticker on the rear, more often on a sticker on the side. The version number in a Samsung is usually four characters, 2 letters and 2 numbers, such as AY01, CN04, etc.

LG: The version is the full service code for example on Model 47LE5400, one possible service code is 47LE5400-UC.AUSWLHR. All of the Characters after the dash (UC.AUSWLHR) are the version information.

Panasonic: Can be tricky. May be on a side sticker, may be an extra character on the Model/Serial tag, a few were even indicated by the COLOR of the side sticker.

General: Often manufacturers of minor brands will have a Rev. (or revision) number listed on the serial number sticker. I have seen some where the version is indicated in the serial number.

Re: Determining TV Model/Versions for Correct Parts

I'll add a few of mine:

Philips: In general, can be swapped, even if the "CTN" (commerical type number e.g. 42PF5521D/05) is different. The option codes e.g. 00320 33022 etc can all be programmed in with the remote if the main board is swapped. Panel versions models etc can be changed as long as that board originally supports the panel required.

LG Plasma: Two different PSUs used during production run of 42PX5D. One, by Sanken, well made with good caps, rarely fails. Another, by LG themselves, poorly made with poor caps, often fails. They are interchangeable.

Panasonic Plasma: Suffix of main board sometimes important, sometimes not. (A user on here replaced his main board with one from a model using fans (his TV did not use fans), but we were able to disable the fan detect.) Sustain boards are usually specific to a particular screen size.

Great guide!
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
    X