Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer S271HL bid LED monitor goes partly/fully dark, flashlight shows image: SOLUTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer S271HL bid LED monitor goes partly/fully dark, flashlight shows image: SOLUTION

tl; dr: LED driver board's vias were faulty and would gain tens of ohms when board heated up. Via for ground to resistor divider of voltage feedback would heat up from nearby inverter components, and ground voltage would jump several tenths of a volt, triggering overvoltage and disabling LED strings until all were off. Fix is to run extra ground wire to that point.

I saw this broken Acer S271HL bid monitor on craigslist for $30 and figured I'd give repairing it a shot. First I found that there's very little information about problems, repair, or available parts for this model. The datasheet for the MP3394 LED controller was of great help in understanding operation.

The symptoms: turned on fine, but after a few minutes or less one or more backlight segments would go dark, leaving the monitor with only part of the bottom edge illuminated, as if with spotlights on a wall at night. Eventually or immediately the last light would go dark. Flashlight showed image, so it was just the backlight failing. Turning off and on would sometimes get the lights for a minute or so more, though they lasted less time and sometimes it just blinked on for a moment.

Inside the case, voltages were good: input 19V, 5V and 3.3V on the signal board, 19V on the LED driver board, and when the LEDs were working, 39V going to the LED common. Inverter components checked out: diode, inductor mosfet. LED return voltages were decent: 0.57V, 0.82V, 1.11V, 1.11V.

I checked the LED strings by using a 36V supply through a 1K resistor to power each string separately, and measuring the voltage drop across the string. Each gave a 31.2V drop, very close to each other, and each lit with similar brightness (dim since we're running very little current through). Through the 1K resistor this comes to 4.8mA, so their voltage drop will be a little less than normal. This uses an M270HGE-L10 panel, specified at 38.4V typical string voltage at 100mA. Each string has 12 LEDs. I didn't want to use much current and damage them, and this test gave good evidence that they were working, since they gave such similar readings. Given that sometimes the strings would go individually dark, not all at once, if it were due a problem with the LEDS then all of them would have to be bad, either due to a defect, problem with common lines, or damage done to all due to problem. So I focused on the driver board.

The LED driver does many safety checks and shuts things down if any fail, in order to avoid damage/fire. One thing it checks for is an LED string shorting, or going open. It regulates the current to each string and it must detect these conditions to avoid putting excessive current. The strings are common anode, and the ground returns from each go to open-drain drivers. It regulates the overall LED voltage based on the string with the largest voltage drop, because that one will be closest to ground and otherwise it wouldn't be able to bring about enough of a drop. I'll call this the dominant string. If the voltage drop becomes too great, it will need to raise the LED drive voltage too high. There is an over-voltage protection pin (OVP) to detect this. It is driven by a simple voltage divider, delivering around 1.23V at the highest allowable LED driver voltage (configured to 46.07V in this case).

This is where the core problem was. The divider has two resistors, 300k from the LED drive voltage side, and 8.22k to ground. The ground side of the resistor connects to ground through a via to the ground plane on the underside of the board. It's near the switcher MOSFET, diode, and inductor. The board heats up in operation, and the via begins to increase in resistance, and make sudden jumps to much greater resistance. Running a hair dryer on the board would trigger the fault in a couple of seconds. Looking at the OVP line, it would be fine for a while, then start to rise, and eventually jump up and down by several tenths of a volt. All the while, the actual switcher voltage was pretty stable, not jumping around like this. This made the driver think that the dominant string had too great a voltage drop (and thus was open), so the driver disabled this string and went to the next, and so on, until all were off.

For my repair, I soldered a ground wire to this OVP divider resistor to bypass the crappy via. I also added wires for two of the LED drive lines, which also went through two vias each and were showing tens of ohms when the board was warm. I further added one for the LED high side voltage to the capacitors, and one more from the capacitor ground to the ground of the LED drive chip, since all the LED loads return through it. I added these in the order of LED drive lines, which didn't fix it, then the one to chip ground and LED high side, which still didn't fix it, and finally to the OVP divider, which did.

I didn't run lines for all the vias, as there were no other signals through vias that seemed they would be much affected. The ground/positive ones have dozens, so one failing won't be a big deal. The enable and PWM dim control lines do go through several vias, but they also go through resistors so extra resistance won't be an issue. Though, if they start failing by opening, it could be an issue. They are father from sources of heat as well.

The previous owner and tried to repair it, replacing the caps, so unfortunately I don't know for sure what the original electrolytics were. I replaced a couple with some better units, though I lack any good low-ESR caps to properly recap it with. The unit was only a year old so the original caps were probably fine.

This was a very time-intensive repair. I spent over a dozen hours trying to make any sense before I found the via issue, and even then spent several hours before I found the OVP issue. I learned a lot about the LED driver and got to home my o-scope skills. At least I can share my findings to hopefully save someone else from this ordeal.

Had I needed to replace the LED controller chip, I found that part number MP3394ES was the proper one (SOIC16) and got more hits on suppliers than MP3394 alone.

I'm going to have to open it up again to add a circuit (attiny85-based most likely) to allow further reduction of backlight brightness, as it's too damn bright even on 0. Datasheet shows that at 1kHz PWM rate it uses, it can go down to 3%, while currently Acer only has it go down to about 20%.

The LED connector pinout is 1, 2, comm, comm, 3, 4. Common anode (positive). String 1 (black wire) is the one on the right-most edge when facing the front of the monitor, 4 on the left-most edge.

Thanks everyone for making this forum a great resource, and I hope this is helpful to anyone repairing an Acer monitor with a similar problem. What a maddening problem with the PCB.

Pictures show voltages when working. LED connector voltages on 1, 2, 5, and 6 will vary; one should be around 0.35V, and the others greater by up to a volt or so.

As the first shows, the backlight is along the bottom strip of the panel only, with the light guide spreading it evenly across. Each string of LEDs lights one quarter of the edge.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blargg; 09-17-2014, 12:27 AM.

Re: Acer S271HL bid LED monitor goes partly/fully dark, flashlight shows image: SOLUT

Updated the PCB photos to show the problematic vias I ran jumpers to fix (yellow circled) and ones I didn't run jumpers for (purple). These are basically single vias which carry a signal, where degradation of it can disrupt the signal. This is in contrast to the redundant ones for the ground/positive planes, which just serve as shielding/secondary connection. The remaining purple vias could use redundant jumpers, except the center vertical one (seen on back), which goes to an unused 19V segment mingled within the LED drive lines.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blargg; 09-17-2014, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Re: Acer S271HL bid LED monitor goes partly/fully dark, flashlight shows image: SOLUT

Originally posted by blargg View Post
      This was a very time-intensive repair. I spent over a dozen hours trying to make any sense before I found the via issue, and even then spent several hours before I found the OVP issue.
      Thanks for sharing. I know I would have never found this problem.

I often will spend lots of time doing repairs on things that have no economic value, but I enjoy the challenge and learn a lot of new things.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Yes, thanks for the explanation and photos. Refreshing to see someone putting in a solid troubleshooting/repair effort versus someone who comes on this forum: hasn't even opened up their monitor, provides a one sentence description of the problem and wants to know the exact cause of the problem!

Comment

Backlight mod worked out great to allow lower brightness, and I was able to add strobed backlight mode to greatly reduce motion blur (sample-and-hold).

I still have gotten occasional momentary black hiccups, I think due to the remaining vias I haven't jumpered. I'm going to order some tiny PCB drill bits and add my own vias next to the bad ones, and remove the jumper wires. I think this will be more reliable and easier to do. I am worried one of my jumpers is going to come loose and short something out.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            Refreshing to see someone putting in a solid troubleshooting/repair effort versus someone who comes on this forum: hasn't even opened up their monitor, provides a one sentence description of the problem and wants to know the exact cause of the problem!
            And saying "bump" after waiting an eternity (a whole 2 hours)!
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by blargg View Post
              I am worried one of my jumpers is going to come loose and short something out.
              I repaired an HP printer a couple of months ago. The solder joints that held in the AC socket had come completely loose after multiple insertions. Unfortunately, the pads holding them to the pcb also came right off.

I used legs of a capacitor to make a mechanical connection to the nearest pad and I used RTV silicone to hold down the capacitor legs. They were never going to come loose or touch anything since they were soldered down, but I thought I would add an extra layer or protection just in case.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Final update: I finally did the proper approach. I cleaned the clogged vias out with a very thin needle. I scraped the green coating off the copper trace around both sides of the via. Then I stripped some 30-gauge wrapping wire and threaded pieces of that through the vias. I trimmed the ends to about 2mm on both sides, bent them down, and soldered them to the exposed trace.

As is most visible in the last picture in the lower-left, I avoided having to scrape the trace bare when the via came up near a component, instead just connecting the wire to the component. I did about 30 vias in all, wanting to be sure I left nothing but the massively-redundant ground ones to suffer from the poor construction. Connections are all <1 ohm now, and the board works great. My main concern with the jumpers was them coming loose.

And yes, the PCB is still pretty messy. The worst is around the capacitors. I had a hellish time getting the solder to even melt so I could get the capacitor lead through.

We have a diabetic cat so a bunch of very thin (31-gauge I believe) needles to act like drill bits to clean the vias out. Without those I don't know what I would have used, since the side cutout at the tip acted like a drill bit as a spun it around. A normal needle probably wouldn't have worked. The 0.6mm-1.5mm drill bits arrived and even the smallest isn't as small as those needles.

I also had great success with the mod for 60Hz strobed backlighting. I found a way to get full control of the Realtek controller chip and adjust literally any register over the DDC/CI channel, so reduce the excessive blur-reduction overdrive it was applying and adjust the PWM to eliminate the need for my external hardware mod. Even though that worked, I further dumped the firmware (8051 MCU) and wrote a patch to do all this in response to adjusting the brightness through the OSD/via DDC/CI normally. What an educational repair/mod project!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by blargg; 10-04-2014, 10:02 PM.

Comment

This is very good information. I have a number of Benq GL2250 led monitors which have a similar fault. One or more led strings will go dark - after some time of operation, then sometimes they all go out completely. I have measured the low side of one of the led strings and find that when it goes dim, the voltage goes up - i.e. less current flow. However in this case, there are basically no via's in use, so I am thinking that it is the MP3394 that is the problem.

Comment

I have recently fixed my Acer s271HL,

Fault; Power button flashes Blue / Amber, in a continuous cycle...
                    no LCD display.

Initially the Monitor would start up, after the blue amber cycle 20 - 50 seconds,
                    but the time got longer,
                    within one month of the fault, the monitor stopped displaying altogether.

After a visual inspection of the PCB, I spotted a Bulging Cap near the Power input,
                    25v / 470uf (FKR) indeed it tested dead short, on the meter, (Lucky Bulge)

I decided to replace all the main Caps, with Panasonic and Rubycons,
                    and buy slightly higher Voltage caps, than the present ones fitted,
                    Only 10 volts higher on the large caps, Because there's only 10mm gap,
                    with the shield fitted,
                    and double the voltages on the Smaller Caps,
                    But Use the SAME Capacitance Values as Original !

I like to go a little bit over kill, giving the caps a better life,
                    ALL the Replaced caps, Fit Perfectly, as the originals did,

There is only 7 Caps to replace, and around £3 Pounds, in grand total of parts.

The solder on the PCB has a high melting point, and is tricky to remove,
                    it was Not to crusty tho, just hard and stubborn,
                    I used good quality solder wick, 4mm wide,
                    and a manual Solder Sucker,

After 3 hours, Cups of tea, (and generous usage of solder wick for a change...)
                    I had the LVDS and PSU boards clean and ready for the new caps.

Fitted the new caps, making sure, there is a visible flow of solder, through to the top of the PCB,
                    and then lots of checks with a magnifying glass, for Shorts.

It has been working Fine again for the last Two weeks now, since i Re Capped it.
                    On Full brightness, for a few hours at first, to water test.

It does have a Very bright back light, i have run mine on the dimmest setting since new, 5 years,
                    so 20%, reading blarggs post,
                    the only time the back light has been on Max bright, is direct sunlight , in our occasional British summer weather,
                    and its hilarious how BRIGHT it can go..... almost brighter than, burning Magnesium !
                    The medical industry could perform , live cartoon X-rays, with these back light.

So back to the drawing board, to figure out how to have a lower backlight setting,
                    on the PWM side, like 10% instead.

Here is a pic collage of my, S271hl Boards for reference, after completing the fiddly work.
                    i also have the original jpgs with no water mark available.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to add. The Bulging Cap
                      Attached Files

Comment

Almost 10 year later I wanna thanks OP for the helps he provides, I have the same issue except my monitor feels even less bright than the first picture.
                        I'm not good enough at understanding this and soldering to repair it I think but maybe I'll give it a try.
                        But still it was very hard to find infos on this so thanks OP !

Comment

Working...
                        X