Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Hello people,

I recently built a computer out of parts I had collecting dust in my closet, and I chose to use the L&C LC-B450 E 450W power supply to power it.

Here's the specifications of this computer:
    Intel Celeron 2.2GHz processor (Socket 478, 128k L2 cache, Northwood)
    HP "Trigem" micro ATX motherboard
    Micron 256MB DDR266 PC2100 RAM
    Maxtor 40GB E-IDE hard drive
    PHILIPS DVD/CD-RW IDE combo drive
    Integrated Intel Extreme 64MB graphics
    L&C LC-B450 E 450W ATX power supply
    Old generic beige ATX case
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3

This L&C power supply I have is not in its original state, I recapped it with 2 "CapXon" 330uf 200V caps and the whole secondary side (excluding the tiny caps) are Nichicon, Panasonic, and United Chemicon caps of the same values that the original caps were. The 80mm fan was also replaced with a higher quality 80mm fan.

With the modifications I have made to this power supply, would it be considered suitable for use in a computer of this age?
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Re: Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Internal shots would be nice. Probably ok for 250 or 300W. Enough for that rig.

Comment

It all depends on the 12v rectifier, main transformer size, and the heatsinks. Also, make sure all the output PI coils and input filtering is present (coils, x and y caps).
      Better yet, just post some pictures here if you can.

Comment

Correct, if it uses the cheap 4 diodes in place of the bridge rectifier, they are typically limited to about 300W just because I have never seen a manufacturer use diodes big enough to supply the wattage needed.

That being said, 300W of diode means that if it is 75% efficient (stretch) That means that only 225W of power can be output.

Comment

I'm too lazy to open up that power supply again to take better internal pictures, but here's a not very detailed picture I took a while ago, before the power supply was fully recapped.
          My gaming PC:

Comment

Nevermind the previous post I made earlier, I decided to get up and take better internal pictures of my L&C power supply.
            Attached Files
            My gaming PC:

Comment

Doesn't look too good. Will need lots of work to make it reliable and output clean power.
              The PSU still needs input filtering (a coil and a X cap... Y caps will also need to be replaced if they are of the generic "1kv" non-certified type). Those primary diodes look like 1.5 or 2 amp. I would suggest using at least 3 amp diodes if you don't have a rectifier.
              You also said that the new secondary caps have the same values as the original caps. Well if the original caps weren't adequate (they look undersized in this picture) then the new ones might not be either. There's no PI coils either. Noise and ripple suppression is probably not adequate.
              Lastly, check the 12v schottky rectifier like I said. If it's rated for 12 Amps or above, it will be just enough. Anything lower is bad. And if it's just 2 diodes soldered together rather than a schottky rectifier, don't even consider this power supply.
              **Edit**
              I see 2 diodes in place of the 12v rectifier! Not good at all. Don't even try running your Celeron, those two diodes will heat up and burn down quickly.
              You need to replace those diodes with a proper 12v schottky rectifier. But even then, I doubt this PSU will be any good. On a good day I might use it for a PII computer, but nothing more.
              Last edited by momaka; 07-28-2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

just toss that thing.waste of time and parts.

Comment

strip the psu for the overly thin/crappy wire and fan. rest of it is a bomb. do NOT use. not enough secondary caps. only good for a paper weight... wait- not enough guts=not heavy enough to be a good paperweight.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

was that made by hongkongflyapart, LLC?

toasty/370, sorry i sole you line but i just had to post this
                    sigpic

Comment

Yup a typical Chinese junker just enough parts so it'll run but not enough parts for it to run well.

What's with those Orange Crapxons? Is it Halloween or something ?

Never seen an orange cap before.

Oh geez not again (last picture first row behind the wires) yet another manufacturer tying two discrete diodes together probably for the 12 volt rail. Check the pics.

Their heat dissipation with them being round and all is marginal at best. But I guess based on the wimpy line rectifier they won't be seeing too much current anyways.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 07-28-2009, 04:03 PM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

450w? are they using crack or something? you'd get at most half of that. on a VERY lucky day.
                        sigpic

Comment

wait, i think i see a few chemicons... maybe they made a SMALL attempt to make somthing other than crap...

edit- it must have been recapped. i see nichicons and pannys too...
                          sigpic

Comment

nice thin wire
                            sigpic

Comment

Hmm, things I thought when looking at the pictures

Waste of perfectly good scrap metal that could have been used for one single coca cola 33cl can

Waste of perfectly good color additives at the plant making the cables, not the cables themselves, they are crap

Waste of 4 perfectly good fan screws

Waste of a fuse

Oh, and of course waste of perfectly good recapped caps

Sorry to be so blunt but that's the verdict for me anyway

Please do post another picture showing the secondary side 12v, 3,3v and 5v heatsink and whatever they decided to attach to that heatsink, just for the fun of it
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Wow.

That thing just screams "I can do 130 watts on a good day" to me. Those diodes aren't even spaced off the board! Look at all the jumpers!

Which would probably be adequate for your minimal system. IF there's enough on the 12v which doesn't seem terribly likely. And if your system doesn't mind a little excitement in way of voltage regulation and/or Ripple.

Maybe they meant "It can DRAW 450w out of the wall just before it goes POW"?

Or maybe you didn't see the decimal point of that 45.0 watt PSU.

Looks like a POWmax to me,
                                Keri
                                The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Thats definitely one of L&C's worse units.

The only decent ones after a recap are the solytech named/allied/rosewill units.

Comment

had a manhattan in a while back with orange and yellow fuhkyyu's in it.
                                    and as far as the fan its crap too.
                                    not even a rubber plug to hold the oil in if you were to oil it for pm.
                                    i would shoot a basket towards the nearest trash can at my shop.
                                    i usually crush them for hand/arm exercise first.

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                                    Yup a typical Chinese junker just enough parts so it'll run but not enough parts for it to run well.

What's with those Orange Crapxons? Is it Halloween or something ?

Never seen an orange cap before.

Oh geez not again (last picture first row behind the wires) yet another manufacturer tying two discrete diodes together probably for the 12 volt rail. Check the pics.

Their heat dissipation with them being round and all is marginal at best. But I guess based on the wimpy line rectifier they won't be seeing too much current anyways.

Comment

This L&C power supply came out of a "Razotech Transformer" case I bought in 2005. It's the lightest power supply I ever have owned.

Once as a prank on April Fools I put it in my father's desktop PC he has near his 47" 1080p HDTV, he removed it after noticing "noise" on his TV when he was trying to watch cable TV and I had to give him back his original power supply.
                                      My gaming PC:

Comment

i bet that case was as flimsy as hell. a fly lands on it and it crumples. complete shit.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X