Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HP RTX 3060 with bad cap (beginner project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP RTX 3060 with bad cap (beginner project)

I have an interesting project here. I have a HP RTX 3060 12GB VRAM GPU with a shortcircuit between a (what I believe is) a coil and a cap. The short circuit is so bad that it will trigger a failsafe on the PSU.

I'm a beginner in this field and have managed to do only very simple board repairs so far. I have basic understanding of the components (mosfets, caps, nand chips) but completely diagnosing a board with schematics would be challenging. In this case though, I'm going to hope that replacing only the two shorted components will bring the card back to life (if none of the IC's have been damaged).

I have two questions at this point:
    1. The left component is an inductor right?
    2. What should I look for when looking for a new inductor? This one only says 1R0 but the one next to it is slightly bigger and says 1R0 2115
    3. Regarding the capacitor, I will look for 5KB24 820 16VH, that should be enough to go by right?
    4. Tips are welcome. Anything to consider while soldering these? Is the chance high that this short circuit killed any IC?
    Attached Files

For the capacitor, look for a 270 uF 16V (or higher voltage) polymer capacitor in a through hole format. One such example is the Panasonic 16SEPG270MX, available in Hungary at https://hu.rs-online.com/web/p/polim...atorok/1793621.

Comment

dont be too surprised if desoldering the cap doesnt fix the short - it's probably a bad mosfet.
      i hate working on video cards - they arent for beginners.
      electrically very simple, but desoldering and soldering on them is a bitch!

Comment

other advice for new people.
        clean off that thermal paste - i dont care how carefull you are, you WILL get it on you at some point!
        and clean the dust off with a paintbrush - a clean board is easier to examine.

Comment

Thank you for your input I threw in the towel and had the card fixed by someone. I didn't ask but I believe he only replaced that one inductor..

Comment

Don't think it was the inductor, its basically a piece of few windings of wire in a ferrite case, there is nothing that can normally go broken in it, at least it'll be the last things which gets broken on a GPU.

Comment

Inductors can die (either short circuit due to the enamel melting down, or less common on these but they can go open circuit) and it happens in some cases on graphics cards, but generally it is caused by a short to ground downstream. But if it's underrated (for the current handling) and not cooled properly it can die on its own.
              OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

There was a copper wire sticking out of the inductor and touching on the capacitor on the right. You can see it on the photo if you look carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X