When your mom is complaining about her new cheap lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When your mom is complaining about her new cheap lights

My Mom bought some cheap motion sensor lights on wish... then complains about about batteries and this thing chews though them, well it uses 4 AAA batteries and a pack of rechargeable ones is about 13 USD

well since it uses 4 AAA and rechargeable are 1.2v and non-recharge at 1.5 this thing must work with 4.8-6v, I'll shove a USB cable on it, infant i will use a broken phone charge cable... dam this thing uses 430 mA and they made it battery powered...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	signal-2024-07-21-22-47-57-562.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	3315038 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240723_145321.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.76 MB ID:	3315039 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240723_145309.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.78 MB ID:	3315040 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240723_145537.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.84 MB ID:	3315041

lets ignore the fact that i thought the board fit both ways... and the wire color is reversed going to the board

She also got rechargeable puck lights and complains about there battery life... they have 160 mAh batteries in them

I have a suggestion for you and that is get a cell phone battery pack and use it to power these things but the issue you might have is that if the stand by current is not high enough then it might not turn on after the first time however if you modify the battery pack a little bit an use a relay then you could have two light levels one on 4,2 volts and one on 5 volts

One way around this is to reverse engineer this a little bit and power the LED light bulbs on the 5 volts and the motion sensor circuit on the 4.2 battery voltage with it on BMS board these are very inexpensive to buy and very easy to install and use

Or go to Battery Hookup and buy one of there battery packs and modify it by taking out the BMS protection board and use a BMS board that just protects the battery cells from over and under voltage and just run it on 4.2 volts but make a decent size battery pack for it

I curious about what the stand by current is for the motion sensor circuit if it is under 100 milliamperes then if you had 10 amp hour battery pack it would run a long time in standby mode for quite some time now of course it depends on how often it is triggered to how long the battery pack would last on one charge

Now you could buy this a Battery Hookup and just use a different BMS protection board

https://batteryhookup.com/products/b...1700-50e-cells

and then glue it back together
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-23-2024, 01:57 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
    1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
    All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

10 leds thats 43ma each . way over the top in my view .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
        10 leds thats 43ma each . way over the top in my view .
        Probably but if I were doing this I probably would power the LED light bulb on a lower voltage so you would have lower current draw but not to low that your brightness would suffer and you would not be able see anything

The one thing that I find with LED devices is that they have a tendency to over current the LED light bulb to the point that it drastically reduces the life of the LEDs or the quality of the LEDs are crap to begin with
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-23-2024, 02:04 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%
        1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board
        All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          Probably but if I were doing this I probably would power the LED light bulb on a lower voltage so you would have lower current draw but not to low that your brightness would suffer and you would not be able see anything

The one thing that I find with LED devices is that they have a tendency to over current the LED light bulb to the point that it drastically reduces the life of the LEDs or the quality of the LEDs are crap to begin with
          yes my view entirely . they run them maxed out . they get way too hot .

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            I have a suggestion for you and that is get a cell phone battery pack and use it to power these things but the issue you might have is that if the stand by current is not high enough then it might not turn on after the first time however if you modify the battery pack a little bit an use a relay then you could have two light levels one on 4,2 volts and one on 5 volts

One way around this is to reverse engineer this a little bit and power the LED light bulbs on the 5 volts and the motion sensor circuit on the 4.2 battery voltage with it on BMS board these are very inexpensive to buy and very easy to install and use

Or go to Battery Hookup and buy one of there battery packs and modify it by taking out the BMS protection board and use a BMS board that just protects the battery cells from over and under voltage and just run it on 4.2 volts but make a decent size battery pack for it

I curious about what the stand by current is for the motion sensor circuit if it is under 100 milliamperes then if you had 10 amp hour battery pack it would run a long time in standby mode for quite some time now of course it depends on how often it is triggered to how long the battery pack would last on one charge

Now you could buy this a Battery Hookup and just use a different BMS protection board

https://batteryhookup.com/products/b...1700-50e-cells

and then glue it back together
            stand by looks to be 0.50 mA, had to use my meter for that one the usb tool can't even close to that low (i think it bottoms out at 0.07A), that said my jank adapter under load only showed it pulling about 250 mA and my usb tool confirmed that, either my jank adapter or multimeter is limiting the current

Comment

Working...
            X