Badcaps Forums

Badcaps Forums (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Capacitor Questions & Issues (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Exactly same capacitors from NCC and Nichicon (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99928)

xnRS 10-15-2021 03:23 PM

Exactly same capacitors from NCC and Nichicon

I was searching some caps and found NCC KY and Nichicon UHE. I was looking for 1000uf 10v 8 x 20 mm. If you'll look into data, you'll see that impedance at 20 and 10 degress celsious is same, same applies for the ripple current. Also, I saw same thing with some other big caps(680uf 400v, or something like that, don't remember exactly) and saw same thing from NCC and Nichicon, no other manufacturer. This leads me to one idea - they are using same factory and just rebranding some caps.

Any opinions on this one ?

brethin 10-15-2021 07:11 PM

Re: Exactly same capacitors from NCC and Nichicon

Uh no, same specs doesn't mean same factory.

xnRS 10-16-2021 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brethin (Post 1077761)
Uh no, same specs doesn't mean same factory.

then look into a datasheet of both caps, every cap is exactly the same

xnRS 10-16-2021 06:20 AM

And how they could have exactly the same specs on each cap ?

s675 10-16-2021 03:04 PM

You make a good point. The specs (including lifetime) all match.

Here are the possibilities that I have thought of:
  • One company makes the capacitors, and the other company rebrands them with their company name.
  • They are different capacitors, and one of the companies used the competitor's specs as placeholders and never changed them.
  • They both manufacture this capacitor design in their own factories. The original company agreed to share the exact formula etc under license.

brethin 10-16-2021 10:10 PM

Not the same factory even if they exactly the same specs, it's not uncommon on popular parts.

PeteS in CA 10-17-2021 10:57 AM

They’re equivalent series - same specs, but competitors, not identical factory. NCC/UCC and Nichicon are manufacturers, not rebranded.

s675 10-17-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteS in CA (Post 1078108)
They’re equivalent series - same specs, but competitors, not identical factory. NCC/UCC and Nichicon are manufacturers, not rebranded.

I'm aware that they both are manufacturers, but somebody is copying somebody else here, with or without permission. I would not think very highly of whichever one is the copycat. I'd expect actual measured spec averages if they are indeed not the same cap design.

PeteS in CA 10-19-2021 12:09 PM

Nippon Chemicon and Nichicon manufacture their own parts. They do not rebrand.

Nippon Chemicon (NCC) and Nichicon - and others - sell similar parts that compete with each other directly. See, for example, NCC's LXZ series, Nichicon's PW series, and Panasonic's FC series, whose specs are extremely similar. This is just ordinary normal head to head competition, no permissions required.