Badcaps Forums

Badcaps Forums (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Electronics Technical Discussion (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Short theory (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101129)

TheAnswer305 11-22-2021 03:46 PM

Short theory

Hi guys, so i am in the process of repairing a couple motherboards and ive come across something that im not quite understanding. Maybe you guys can help me out.

So i am checking the motherboard and find i have several areas of caps that have a short to ground, being that both sides give continuity when testing against a ground pad. Now i know this might be okay for some caps but this is a lot of caps doing this so im thinking theres a short. So i injected a small amount of voltage on a larger cap. I sent it in at 3v 1a to be safe and low, i saw some mosfets get hot and the bench shows it pulling 1.1v @ .8 amps. They also light up on the flir so i pulled them off. Now the delivery goes to 3v @ .03 amps so im thinking the short is gone becuase the voltage is flowing and only consuming whatever items are on the line take, however, i still get short to ground on the caps.

Am i understanding that when the voltage doesnt get dropped it means there is no short, or is it that there isnt a BIG enough short to cause heat.

In this scenario, how do you locate it?

stj 11-22-2021 04:32 PM

Re: Short theory

next time, dont go over a volt - a lot of cpu's and ram now run at 1.2v or 1.8v

TheAnswer305 11-22-2021 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stj (Post 1086410)
next time, dont go over a volt - a lot of cpu's and ram now run at 1.2v or 1.8v

Thanks. Yes I read this somewhere and started going at 1v. However, given that the bench doesn’t limit and show less volts, it means there’s NOT a short right? But why do I have continuity on so many caps from ground?

stj 11-23-2021 03:57 AM

caps can look shorted while they charge.

TheAnswer305 11-23-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stj (Post 1086510)
caps can look shorted while they charge.

They are showing continuity with ground even without power though.

stj 11-23-2021 06:35 PM

wrong, your meter is supplying power.
thats how it works, it applies a current limited voltage - usually 2-3v and calculates resistance from the volt-drop

TheAnswer305 11-24-2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stj (Post 1086718)
thats how it works, it applies a current limited voltage - usually 2-3v and calculates resistance from the volt-drop

Okay the definitely makes sense, thanks! Would that voltage cause all caps to show continuity on both sides of the caps? from what ive usually seen itll only sound on both sides if a component is giving a short somewhere

TheAnswer305 11-24-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stj (Post 1086718)

As a follow up, is there degrees of shorts? Can i have a short that wont get hot but is still grounding the power rail? i thought all shorts would end up showing on the flir.

diif 11-24-2021 08:30 AM

Are you measuring in resistance mode or continuity ?

TheAnswer305 11-24-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diif (Post 1086827)
Are you measuring in resistance mode or continuity ?

Continuity mode, well on this mode it beeps if it goes under 50ohms i think, but it also displays resistance. So it might just be resistance mode with the little continuity beep on my particular meter. I can also check without the beep but readings are basically the same just having the beep is the only difference.

stj 11-24-2021 11:50 AM

test, then test with the probes switched.
if it's charging caps then you will see a jump in readings for a second

eccerr0r 11-28-2021 04:46 PM

If this is the short theory, what's the long theory?
(ugh this thread's topic name "short theory" bothers me...)

TheAnswer305 11-30-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eccerr0r (Post 1087778)
If this is the short theory, what's the long theory?
(ugh this thread's topic name "short theory" bothers me...)

long theory is i cant find a short and dont know how unless i start pulling everything off lol