Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist
Default Re: Westinghouse SK-32H240S Continued problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Renowned View Post
I have been working on a 32" Westinghouse TV and so far I have replaced the inverter transformer and some of the badcaps that I found.

What is unusual is that after replacing the bad components the TV still won't work. When I turn it on it shows the logo then goes black, then, if I leave it on the picture will show up for a second, then goes black again.

The capacitors I replaced may not be the right ESR or ripple current rating.

The old caps were CapXons and the two I replaced were a 2200uF 10v GF 105 C P733 VENT, and a KY 16 v 1000uF (M)105 C 7(7) 8e. Any Links fro finding the specs for these caps would be greatly appreciated. Replaced with 2200 uF, PL(M) nichicon and a 1000 uF FM Matsushita Panasonic cap.

I also replaced a 5D 3KV, blue ceramic capacitor that was reading 9 pF instead of 5 pF

In the pictures i have circled the parts I replaced and would like to know where to go next in trouble shooting this board?
This appears to be and should be troubleshot as 'two seconds to black'. The pictures aren't very good, and without a picture of the bottom of the power supply / inverter it's going to require a little extra work. Since you will be doing the work, I don't mind.

The following tests should be done in as dark a room as possible - you are going to be looking for a brief flash from the backlights.

Set everything up so you can see the back of the LCD panel. There are usually enough light leaks that you can see if the backlights are on even from the back.

Disconnect all of the cables to the backlights except one. Turn on the TV. You should see a brief flash before the protection circuits kick in. Turn the TV off, unplug the first CCFL and plug in the next. Turn on the TV and watch for the flash. Repeat for each of the remaining 4 CCFLs.

With luck, all of the CCFLs except one will light. If none light, repeat, but hooking up a pair at a time, rather than only one.

Report your results.

PlainBill

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
PlainBill is offline   Reply With Quote