Dissolve heat conductive cement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dissolve heat conductive cement

Well… I am working on a Catapillar ECU (70 pin). I managed to take the main board on the top off after repeated prying, but how in the effin world does the driver board on the bottom come out? There is too much of that heat conductive cement on there. It's hard almost like a rock. I guess it has a dual function, having thermal conductivity and keeping things planted due to vibration. Thought of putting Acetone in there, but then I don't know if any of the plastics are going to melt.

So how do I get that board heat conductive cement or whatever it is dissolved? Heat?

Re: Dissolve heat conductive cement

a long soak in petrol sometimes works . must admit i never tried that with the hard stuff .

Comment

I think I may unsolder more stuff and see what that does.

Comment

the hard stuff if it's a blue-gray colour is epoxy resin loaded with zinc oxide.
        good luck if it's that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          the hard stuff if it's a blue-gray colour is epoxy resin loaded with zinc oxide.
          good luck if it's that!!!
          Yeah that stuff you are talking about is epoxy... This stuff here is very light grey and not that epoxy hard, but hard. I've unsoldered more, but still can't get that damn board off or out.

Comment

thermoset plastics need to be banned so that we can repair our electronics...
            (then again, IC encapsulation are thermosets...)

Comment

Well… I opened that ECU. See other thread.

Comment

Working...
              X