Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caterpillar ECU repair, need N548AB replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Catapillar ECU repair, need N548AB replacement?

are source or drain grounded? Drain or source connected out to the pins?
    Found which pin is ground? battery 24V? 12V?
    Those three pin axial devices are capacitors? What voltage/capacitance?

Comment

The 3 pin caps measure about 1400uF on my tester. There are no ratings printed on these caps. It also seems these 3 legged caps aren’t connected to these TO247 devices. 2 of the pins of the TO247 go to the connector while the 3rd pin is just floating. Which doesn’t make any sense. It looks like it goes to a pad and a through hole that doesn’t come out on the other side. I’ve actually made a copper brush to my DMM to find a pad where it comes out but can’t find anything on either side of the board. While pin 2 and 3 of the two TO247 devices are in parallel, pin 1 is separate which I believe is the gate pin. Sine it isn’t connected anywhere it must be floating. Even my dog thinks I ate her kibbles. I’ve made a pic from the other side of the board. That’s where I left for tonight. Maybe I’ll have another go at it tomorrow…
      I know the ECU is from a Catapillar MXS maybe a C15
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CapLeaker; 09-17-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

%#*$!@ those multilayer boards...

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
          Nope. No fuel, as there isn't any HV produced. There is no short to the gate on both, so the gate driving circuit is fine.
          Hopefully not the case here if both are measuring the same, but I've seen MOSFETs that blew hard enough that they went open circuit after the event, while acting as a fuse for the now dead-shorted gate drive.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Other end of the wire should still be continuous with some pad somewhere...at least one would hope they would design the tracks to not fuse before silicon or die bond...

Comment

My question is how would it work if the gate was left floating on the fets I do quite understand how this would work

This is why I do not like devices that have stacked multiple trace boards on each other because it very difficult to trace out not completely impossible but almost impossible to do

Is ECU that expensive that you have to repair it or is for a learning experience which in both cases I completely understand because I have done both
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-18-2021, 06:48 AM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

would be evil if caterpillar OEMed dummy parts that just short S-D and just used those as jumpers...

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                  would be evil if caterpillar OEMed dummy parts that just short S-D and just used those as jumpers...
                  I would have to totally agree with you on this point
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

easy to find out - decap one using nitromores paint stripper or some other resin desolving substance.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                      So this is BS, catapillar trucks have a lifetime of 10 or years max because the battery is not a FRU - and one must get a new ECU every 10 years?
                      actually some of us have experience with those specific batteries.
                      they will last about 20years.
                      then all fucking hell with break loose - literally!
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9CWbK-2HU

Comment

Depends on how much the battery is used... and how much it's not connected to external power. Those Tadiran batteries have been around for a while and probably has really low self discharge but I've come across many expended Tadiran cells in old computers...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          actually some of us have experience with those specific batteries.
                          they will last about 20years.
                          then all fucking hell with break loose - literally!
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9CWbK-2HU
                          This was a mess that he had on his hands he is good at repairing this device
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Well, I don't think I am going to decap that. Why I am doing this? Because no one else can do that around here, money is always an issue, but for me it's just because it's interesting on how this is supposed to work. I've been very busy fixing a lot of stuff, but because of time constraints for the last little while I just post now the harder, interesting stuff. Brain stimulation can't hurt.

So far I haven't found what is driving the gate of the Mosfet. I can follow it to a through hole and then it disappears in the middle layer of the board. I made a makeshift copper brush and went a few times over both sides and got diddly squat. Matter effect unpopulated pads of Q16 and Q26 behave the exact same way then Q2 and Q19. The drain and source are all paralleled (and are connected to Q2 and Q19 as well). The gate pins do the same trick, go to a through hole and disappear in the middle layer of the board. I tried this morning to see what happens if I go hook up a cable tracer to these gate pads and sniff around with a inductive probe. Played around for 5 mins and my 9V battery died. Pfft... Now I need some batteries.

Comment

Well I gave you one possible explanation which is not completely far fetched albeit evil explanation of what's going on. Yes I hate buried vias/buried pads and I think they're also frowned upon for best practices, but can't discount this possibility when you don't know where the s/d pins go?

Comment

I know that what I am going to say sounds nuts, but is it possible to use a MOSFET as a reverse fuse? Good = open circuit, Bad = short? Maybe a over voltage condition occurred due to jumping the truck for example? But why use 2 Mosfets? Baah… this doesn’t make sense in my head! The drain and source pins do go to the main board.

Comment

One possibly is that it goes to the micro controller board instead where you think it should go this is just an idea or somewhere else who knows where that could be another idea as well
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Here is the latest tracing of the board. Sure thing the gates of the TO247's are floating. It looks like if these conducting between drain and source, the drain pin (red) will send a voltage to the main board, goes through a little 130k resistor, a couple small SMD caps to gnd and goes to the back side of the board. Kinda like a sensing circuit.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

i might get in touch with these people . https://fairchildproducts.com/contact-us-information/

Comment

The way the circuit is hooked up, a fake transistor is not unreasonable... A diode is also possible. A mosfet being used for its body diode only is possible too but a floating gate is bad.

It's also quite possible Fairchild is under NDA to not need to disclose the contents of those chips, worth a shot but don't be surprised if you get shot down...

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                                          i might get in touch with these people . https://fairchildproducts.com/contact-us-information/
                                          Already did and got nothing back.

Added latest drawings
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by CapLeaker; 09-19-2021, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X