Thorens TTA-2000 DC offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thorens TTA-2000 DC offset

Hi, I bought Thorens TTA-2000, but I am affraid connect speakers because DC offset between the +/- terminal are 2,5V!!! This is normal value on this "A" class amplifier or is this faulty?

Re: Thorens TTA-2000 DC offset

Seems a bit high, does the amp have a DC offset adjustment inside? Are both channels the same?

Comment

looks like cap coupled output so will read some dc unloaded ..try a load on it ..

Comment

zoldi, can you download the schematic from that forum and post here?

Do both R, L channels have the same offset of 2.5V?

Comment

Hi, schematic on german forum is incorrect. I found one in korean forum and this have only one error, R11 are before R12,R13. Some values are also incorrect, but there are only minimal differences. I measured input voltage: 71V, voltage after trimmer 53V. Voltage between R1 pins: 0,380mV. Heatsin after 30 min 60°C, but this is normal with this amplifier!
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, both channels are same. DC adjustment maybe not...

Comment

if you haven't got a resistor to load the output use a crappy speaker .. that dc will go away .

Comment

I haven't tried load on it, because I don't want to destroy the speakers...

Comment

its capacitor coupled output so unless the caps are leaking its normal to see some dc without speaker loads .

Comment

so do you think, i can use it normally with speakers?

Comment

you should test it with speakers you don't care about first . or a suitable resistor .

Comment

OK, thanks. What type of resistor is suitable for this test (value in ohms, wattage)?

Comment

8 or 16 ohms or around there or even higher ..there won't be any signal therefore little current as vol will be turned down . i guess anything over and including 1 watt should do it .. saying that i believe its class A so idle current will be high . just be quick . you just need to see it drop to 0v .

Comment

2.5vdc is not that much voltage, but you can place about a 1 amp fuse in series with your speaker just to be safe. Do not have a source connected and playing music etc. as that would blow the fuse for sure. just use this setup to check the dc offset

Comment

one thing it isnt dc offset on this amp .. its called dc balance .. one output is at rail and the other about half that . that's why it has a capacitor to block the dc ..

Comment

As others have mentioned, this amplifier is not DC-coupled to the loudspeaker. It uses a large coupling capacitor C1 10,000uF
                                So your DCV reading is likely due to small leakage currents in the big cap. In pictures this amp has a speaker protector relay board? Does it have one?

I did blow up an amp Dynaco ST-120 which also uses huge output-coupling caps. You have to be careful.
                                When you switch it off, the cap is still charged for a long time, and I was changing speaker wires and shorted them or something heard a thump and it blew the amplifier- even though it was turned OFF.

Comment

Now that I look closer at the schematic in post 5 I see the output cap. so I guess there is no _____ adjustment.
                                  I don't think the stock unit has speaker protection.

https://old-fidelity-forum.de/thread-41267.html

RIP Meatloaf
                                  Last edited by R_J; 01-21-2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

adjustment for dc balance is done with a scope and set for equal clipping .
                                    one note is when adjusting the idle current can change the dc balance and visa versa vi best to have 2 meters hooked up along with the scope and sine wave input then sort of trade off idle current and dc balance till its right .

Comment

I think you need a speaker relay to stop the huge thump until the output caps charge up. Not for (shorted output transistor) protection.
                                      There are pics of TTA-2000 with and without one. It might be a mod or add-on. The old Dynaco ST-120 used to make a loud thump with woofer cone lurching out on power up, and slowly sinking back in until output cap charged up.
                                      I don't know what the trimpots are for.

RIP Bat Out of hell, among my first rock LP's bought.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by redwire; 01-22-2022, 12:17 AM.

Comment

The test is done. With old speakers and 1A fuse, because I dont have suitable resistor. After turning on, the current disappeared. I measured only 0,04 or 0 mA.

A have a version with protection board with relay (1. photo in post #19).

Comment

Working...
                                        X