FeelTech / Kuman FY6600 DDS Function Arbitrary Waveform Generator repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FeelTech / Kuman FY6600 DDS Function Arbitrary Waveform Generator repair

Some Got it as a X-Mas present from wifey. Lasted about 30mins and then it was absolutely dead.
    Checked the PSU and it was loaded down to next to nothing. Unplugged the main board from the PSU and all is O.k. on the PSU. Ahh! Main board problem!
    Took the main board out and find a short at T2 (78L05) regulator between the input and GND pin. Took that out including the cap that is next to it and still have a short. I also measured shorts between C53 and C57. Took these out, took the 2 IC's under that heat sink out and still a short! Running out of options I decided to go old fashioned way hunting a short. Feed Power! Fed 5V 1.2A on the shorted line, doused half of the board with alcohol and success! SMD cap C81 bubbling! Replaced that with another cap the same size I found on a TV main board, put that in, soldered in all the parts I had taken out, reassembled it and I've got a working Function Generator.

So in short: If you have a Feeltech / Kuman FY6600 that doesn't work and the PSU is good, check C81 on the main board. It is under that little heat sink that is on top of of the 2 IC's.

Merry X-Mas!
    Attached Files

Re: FeelTech / Kuman FY6600 DDS Function Arbitrary Waveform Generator repair

Was that heatsink specifically for those two ICs? Weird... expecting a SOIC8 and SOP8 to dissipate that much heat is not a good sign...?

Comment

Yes. The funny thing is that the heat sink only covers the both IC's only to 75% and there was no thermal paste either.

Comment

I decided to open her up again and read the Winbond 25Q16JV SPI flash.
        https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair...nal-generator/

My firmware version is 3.2.1

Enjoy!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by CapLeaker; 02-23-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

... forgot the schematics to that thing.
          Attached Files

Comment

Now I have to figure out how to read the STM32 in the head unit. That is where the actual firmware is. The stuff on the Winbond doesn't look like firmware.

Did anyone try to copy and flash an STM32 before?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
              Took the main board out and find a short at T2 (78L05) regulator between the input and GND pin. Took that out including the cap that is next to it and still have a short. I also measured shorts between C53 and C57. Took these out, took the 2 IC's under that heat sink out and still a short! Running out of options I decided to go old fashioned way hunting a short. Feed Power! Fed 5V 1.2A on the shorted line, doused half of the board with alcohol and success! SMD cap C81 bubbling! Replaced that with another cap the same size I found on a TV main board, put that in, soldered in all the parts I had taken out, reassembled it and I've got a working Function Generator.
              This is very interesting in how you found the shorts that were on this board
              This was very interesting reading I enjoyed it Thanks for sharing this
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
              10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
              6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
              1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
              25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
              6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply
              1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
              2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
              All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Yeah, that old trick saved my butt a few times.

I've managed to get the 3.3 firmware, some .FYbi file for the STM32 from the manufacturer. Now I have to figure out how to update that Function Generator.

Comment

ask your source, stlink / serial uses HEX files.
                  they may have written a special bootloader - possibly using the usb port.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                    ask your source, stlink / serial uses HEX files.
                    they may have written a special bootloader - possibly using the usb port.
                    That's the problem. FeelTech doesn't provide that unless that is something brand new. Nothing is available from their website. All they say is: send it in.

Comment

This is supposed to be the version 3.3 firmware for the STM32 on the FY6600 that I've managed to download from FeelTech.
                      Attached Files

Comment

that's encrypted binary with a custom header.
                        install the pc remote-control software and see if it has an upgrade option in it somewhere.

Comment

Back to this puppy. Had to grab an old windblows machine and really install that software. Nope, you can't upgrade the Firmware through the PC-software v. 5.5 and that is the latest. Maybe I'll try the software from the newer FY-6800 later on and see what that does.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                            Some Got it as a X-Mas present from wifey. Lasted about 30mins and then it was absolutely dead.
                            Checked the PSU and it was loaded down to next to nothing. Unplugged the main board from the PSU and all is O.k. on the PSU. Ahh! Main board problem!

So in short: If you have a Feeltech / Kuman FY6600 that doesn't work and the PSU is good, check C81 on the main board. It is under that little heat sink that is on top of of the 2 IC's.

Merry X-Mas!
                            I have experienced a similar issue where turning on the unit I can hear relay clicks but no display on the led screens. The Red power LED and green channel LEDs seem to be on but faintly. Do you know the value of the C81? I downloaded the schematics but i did not find the value. I'm not very good at troubleshooting I am still learning along.

Thank you,
                            Attached Files

Comment

yours has a different problem than mine had. Mine was totally dead, as one of the voltage rails was shorted to GND. Not sure what problem yours has. Maybe give it a good visual under the microscope. Check all the voltage rails, 12, 5, 3.3, 1.2V. There is a TTL, maybe read it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X