Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chasis bond to neutral to overcome oven tripping problem

Hi,

I have a 6 years old Rowenta table top oven. The oven have both convection and grill function.
    Last Christmas I used it to roast a turkey with the convection mode for about 4 hours without any problem. When I switched to grill mode to deep browning the turkey for the final half hour, the power trips after a while.

I have not been using the oven since then. Last week, when I try to use the oven again, both convection and grill mode trip the power supply a few minutes after turning it on.

As I was too busy with my work, I leave it to the repairman rather then Googling for solution and do the repair myself.

After a few minute into repair, he solved the problem. The oven can be use in all mode without tripping. I grilled my pizza for lunch.

Then it come to my thought what have the repairman done to stop the oven from tripping the power supply? Could it be that he removed the grounding of the chasis? I called him

He said the chasis is now bonded to neutral, rather then ground. So if there is current leakage, it will trip the power supply too.

Further thought, I asked what if there is a swapped in the power plug between the live and neutral or there is an error connection in the wall supply, then would the chasis be electrify with live ? He said yes!!

Is this code of practice by "grounding" the chasis to neutral acceptable?

I think there is a very high risk to take if there is swap in the polarity either at the wall supply or the extension plug or even the oven plug itself.

Re: Chasis bond to neutral to overcome oven tripping problem

it's dangerous and also typical of the type of bs that goes on in some asian countries.
    like using those shower heads with built in heaters that just pass electricity through the water - over your head!

Comment

Neutral should only bond to earth at the main panel and indeed, tying the chassis of a metallic appliance to neutral is very naughty and dangerous. You should look into getting a new oven soon.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

maybe that works over there... over here that repair isn't any good.

Comment

In the west that "electrician" would go to jail or get an extreme fine if that appliance hurt somebody after that "fix"
          But very good on you for asking the right questions, 99.9% of people would have no clue...

Here is a similar thread but with some ideas you could borrow to try to repair it more properly.
          I would just recommend to buy a new one though, unless it is very expensive.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84293
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

With Singapore's strict laws I'm surprised there isn't one to stop someone from doing this too...

Comment

i soon found this article ... https://www.fixwerks.com/the-beginne...s-and-repairs/

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                With Singapore's strict laws I'm surprised there isn't one to stop someone from doing this too...
                They can't catch everyone without anyone reporting

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                  In the west that "electrician" would go to jail or get an extreme fine if that appliance hurt somebody after that "fix"
                  But very good on you for asking the right questions, 99.9% of people would have no clue...

Here is a similar thread but with some ideas you could borrow to try to repair it more properly.
                  I would just recommend to buy a new one though, unless it is very expensive.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84293
                  Trying to pull a fast one, as long as it works, the ignorant one will accept it, without knowing the high risk they are taking

Comment

Originally posted by schnauzer2021 View Post
                    They can't catch everyone without anyone reporting
                    Sorry, if I sound rude... but then it is a neglect on your part of not doing so and you are willing to take the risk. Period. In my case I love my kids or any one else in my residence more than carry that kind of risk. That is only my opinion... do what you want... just don't complain later. After all these safety devices are there for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X