X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
    And a pair of Dell 3007's (folks just don't seem to understand them
    so they find their way to the bin pretty often -- despite working!).
    Hard to resist as freebies!

Nice.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

And a pair of Dell 3007's (folks just don't seem to understand them
      so they find their way to the bin pretty often -- despite working!).
      Hard to resist as freebies!
      How do people not understand them? I picked up a u3011 for pennies because the thrift shop people thought it was a broken TV (tag said no sound, no remote).
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        How do people not understand them? I picked up a u3011 for pennies because the thrift shop people thought it was a broken TV (tag said no sound, no remote).
        The 3007 isn't multisync. So, you either get 1280x800 -- which is kinda silly on a 30" monitor -- or 2560x1600.

But, to get the higher resolution, you need a video card that can drive it, dual link, dual link cable, etc.

Folks seem to think all you have to do is plug it in and it should magically adjust to whatever the PC can output. E.g., IIRC, 1920x1200 displays as a black screen.

Or, they buy a DVI cable that has the full set of PINS on each connector but don't realize that they might not all be active.

Or, they buy a DP->DVI adapter and discover that it isn't dual link.

Or...

<shrug>

I just let the monitor run its (crude) self test and, if it seems to work (no dead pixels), add it to my collection. The more "normal" 30" monitors I leave for others.

(I need to find some bases for this latest pair, though. I don't think my ergotrons will support 30s...)

Comment

The 3007 isn't multisync. So, you either get 1280x800 -- which is kinda silly on a 30" monitor -- or 2560x1600.

But, to get the higher resolution, you need a video card that can drive it, dual link, dual link cable, etc.
          The 3011 is the same way. I personally use the DisplayPort....but yea. Much like the thrift shop people that thought it was a TV.....but I'll take it!
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

The 3011 is the same way. I personally use the DisplayPort....but yea. Much like the thrift shop people that thought it was a TV.....but I'll take it!
            The 3007 has just a single video-in connector -- DVI. So, folks can't stumble onto "another" solution. You MUST have a proper dual-link DVI setup else you get an oversized, low resolution monitor.

Folks plugin "any old" DVI cable into their "computer with unknown video capabilities" and expect to see a picture. "Ain't gonna happen!"

So, the monitors end up in the scrap heap. Which suits ME just fine! :>

Comment

Scored these things for free:

FSP Blue Storm II 500W - nice PSU, except bulging CrapXons in the secondary. The main cap is a Capxon as well but at least the secondary caps need to go.

Nokia 1 TA-1047 - smashed LCD - might order one if I feel like fixing it.

Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250 - works JUST fine, although I need to find a fitting battery for it.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Folks seem to think all you have to do is plug it in and it should magically adjust to whatever the PC can output. E.g., IIRC, 1920x1200 displays as a black screen.

Or, they buy a DVI cable that has the full set of PINS on each connector but don't realize that they might not all be active.

Or, they buy a DP->DVI adapter and discover that it isn't dual link.
                all this bullshit is cause by not sticking with RGBHV signals over decent cable like in the past.
                (and dont give me crap about the res/frequency)
                i had SGI stuff with huge resolutions over 13w3 connectors and decent individually screened cables.

still, if you want to use low voltage digital signaling that has to be "twist-paired" and run through an invertor/combiner affair to allow for differential transfer,
                and then use 10cent connectors that arent worth shit , cant support the weight of good cables and impose a license fee to the HDMI consortium/mob then that's what you get for it!!!!
                Last edited by stj; 08-04-2019, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Given an Ultra 500w modular PSU, and it actually had ALL its connectors! Needed to be recapped of course, now works like a champ.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I recapped the FSP BlueStorm II 500W I mentioned in my post. It was a literal nightmare. Thankfully I could get away with some bigger diameter caps in a few places, but on at least the 12v rails I had to steal some Panny FLs from an good ASRock board (which I just installed late 05'-early 06 Nichicon HM 1500uF 16v on) because the spaces I had to fill were absurdly small.

After reading most posts about the GLN platform though, now I'm quite hesitant to power it on, as I couldn't (and didn't really want to go that far with it) replace the smaller (2.2uF and such) caps.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      i had SGI stuff with huge resolutions over 13w3 connectors and decent individually screened cables.
                      13W3 connectors are likely more costly than entire DP cables!

And, they still weren't without problems (SoG, Indy vs. Sun, etc.)

I'll gladly take the lower cost alternatives if making them work simply requires having a few brain cells to throw at the problem (vs. a more expensive approach that MIGHT -- or might not! -- be idiot proof).

Comment

fine, how about 5 BNC sockets then?

Comment

fine, how about 5 BNC sockets then?
                          I haven't seen one of those in a long time. As a matter of fact, it was 21" SGI monitor IIRC.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

that would probably be the mitsubishi chassis, i think the sony only had the 13w3 on it.

Comment

I'd take 5 BNC sockets over the crazy mix of VGA, DVI-<insert standard here>, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc, etc, etc. One connection to rule them all.
                              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                              RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                              - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                              - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                              - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                              - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. As a matter of fact, it was 21" SGI monitor IIRC.
                                The 24" FD trintitron you sent home with me had it. As does my dad's old Mitsubishi (21"), My old Samsung (20"), and most of the AV video wiring at church (used for long distance runs from the video amplifier to the projectors and TVs throughout). All of these use them with VGA (option or via adapters in use), but they're there. 5 BNC is just VGA on separate connectors per channel without the "monitor information" channel. Better for long distances, but otherwise, same difference.
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  The 24" FD trintitron you sent home with me had it.
                                  How could I forget about that one!

FWIW to add to the thread, I was given a Panasonic KX-TA624 analog telephone system with the master telephone (used for programming) and 6 extensions. It can handle up to 6 outside lines and 24 internal extensions I don't have a landline to test its external abilities & functions, but its internal functions work.

It's been in my attic since 2009....I completely forgot about it (sealed in a big box)....I came across it today and figured I'd see what it does. After 10 years in the attic's temperature extremes, it even remembered the time & date.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                    I'd take 5 BNC sockets over the crazy mix of VGA, DVI-<insert standard here>, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc, etc, etc. One connection to rule them all.
                                    5BNC on both ends? I guess that'll be the end of video output capabilities on laptops, eh? And, forget it for "short" interface cards...

And, what do you expect to pay for these cables?

I'd settle for the "norms" not changing every few weeks! I probably have 50 pounds of "video cables" on hand to cover whatever sort of kit falls into my lap...

(and, nothing is ever UNAMBIGUOUSLY labeled so it's always a guessing game: "Let's see if THIS one works...")

Comment

5BNC on both ends? I guess that'll be the end of video output capabilities on laptops, eh? And, forget it for "short" interface cards...
                                      dongles - nothing new about them on laptops.
                                      i had them for pcmcia cards that had ethernet, modems, scsi etc.
                                      and i have short ati video cards that use a splitter too - some type of dual dvi/vga to 48pin or something like that.

btw, the hdmi sockets are the worst piece of shit in atleast the last 2 decades.
                                      over half of the tv's i fix and probably over 90% of consoles are because of fucking hdmi sockets broken internally or more usually, ripped off the board to some degree.

worst joke, it was just a low cost replacement for dvi connectors - they have the same signals on them.
                                      Last edited by stj; 08-05-2019, 02:29 AM.

Comment

dongles - nothing new about them on laptops.
                                        You mean a VGA adapter? Same signals, different connector. How we connect the 5 BNC cables to the projectors/TV's/preview monitor at Church. None are native 5 BNC... the cables are what give it the distance advantage, not the end connectors.

worst joke, it was just a low cost replacement for dvi connectors - they have the same signals on them.
                                        Not quite. The Digital Video is the same... but HDMI axed the VGA signals, and added digital audio (making it useful for more than just computer monitors). Handy for using TVs as second displays/external speakers when in a hotel room on a trip.
                                        sigpic

Comment

almost,
                                          DVI has 3 variations of pins fitted, DVI-D being the digital only variant. DVI-A being analog only - never seen one though.
                                          DVI-I has all pins for analog and dual channel digital fitted.

as for audio - it's better to keep it seperate.
                                          it's only digital so they can encrypt it using HDCP anyway.
                                          Last edited by stj; 08-05-2019, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X