X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

>42" phillips plasma.

i wish i was there to capture that "easy" find on video!
    hehe....

Comment

I threw a car away in a dumpster once but I had to cut it into pick-up bed sized pieces.
      [I'm not kidding.]
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Oops,,
        Thinking back,, I've done that twice.... LOL

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I bought a Datsun 280Z shortblock from a guy who was selling all sorts of Z parts in our local paper. When I went of to his "place in the woods" I couldn't believe what I saw. He had maybe 20 engines, and pile of transmissions in a small barn. The other out buildings were full of interior parts. In his side yard there had to be 15 complete rear, and front suspensions from various Z car models. Up against the house there was three dirty Z cars with tags on them from other states! The best part was the piles of cut up cars in the yard. He would take the good stuff out of a car then cut it up into little chuncks that one guy could handle. I mean he had mountains of cut up Z's man! Well about six months later there was a story about him with pics of his "yard." What he was doing was going out with his old tow truck and just hooking up to Z cars in parking lots and crap and dragging them home to cut up. He tried to recycle the cut up bodies at his local scrap yard. The dumb ass left all the tags in the shit he was recycling ! Well the scrap yard Boss thought that the guy was up to something so he put the Cops onto him. I guess that maybe he went to jail for Grand Theift Auto....LOL, and hehehehehe!
          "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
          Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
          John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
          Rod Serling

Comment

The ones I did were mine but it cut out the numbers anyway so I wouldn't get busted for improper use of a dumpster.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

>I threw a car away in a dumpster once but I had to cut it into pick-up bed sized pieces.

that would be fun to film too!
              hehe...

Comment

A sony VAIO PCV-RZ24 with just a noisy PSU that was fixed using a blue leds fan. This P4 2.66 (478) w/ 1gb (2x512mb DDR-400), CD, DVDRW and a 120GB IDE was flanked by a GEM 19" with a broken power button, fixed with a little silicone. Both units are working (monitor was sold, and the Sony is collecting dust under my workbench). Both items with a big orange tape that said "DEAD - Put on GREEN OFFICE" (Green Office - I think that it is the term for the green Dumpster I found them into....)
                Attached Files
                There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050
                  2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Riva TNT 2 or the Pentium 4 2.6ghz Northwood I found

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                    I threw a car away in a dumpster once but I had to cut it into pick-up bed sized pieces.
                    Too funny.

My roomie and I got evicted for the same reason. The roomie decided to cut his VW into scrap, right in the drive way. He got an acetylene torch and made an unmanageable pile from a rolling pile... the landlord was not at all happy.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                      Too funny.

My roomie and I got evicted for the same reason. The roomie decided to cut his VW into scrap, right in the drive way. He got an acetylene torch and made an unmanageable pile from a rolling pile... the landlord was not at all happy.

That's what I did.
                      In the driveway with a set of torches.
                      The first one was IN MILITARY HOUSING.
                      I just waited for a 3 day weekend when none of the housing admin types would be around and went for it.
                      I was rather surprised none of the neighbors called the Base Police or Fire Department but none did.
                      - Must have been used to my antics by then.
                      I'd just finished stripping a boat down to bare metal and repainting it in the driveway.
                      --
                      I owned the house the second time around.
                      Did about 2/3 of it with a recip saw and the rest with torches.
                      I needed a small dumpster to get rid of some debris from remolding so I just got a bigger one and threw the car away too.
                      If the door at the back of the dumpster was about 8" wider I'd have just shoved the whole car in.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

You guys have all the fun. All I have ever done with dead cars is drive them to, or have them towed to the Junkyard. I have a friend who burns his cars. One was about three years old and the other was about 6 months old.
                        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                        Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                          One was about three years old and the other was about 6 months old.
                          Are you serious? He burnt 6 month old and 3 year old cars because....?
                          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

First off he's a stupid Dickhead. The three year old was a full sized Chevy Station Wagon. He tore the little V8 engine up racing around like an idiot all the time. It was knocking and smoking so he couldn't get Jack Shit for it as a trade in. He burnt it in the woods, and the insurance company gave him full value like the car was in perfect condition. So he gets a New Monte Carlo next. First he didn't like the paint job so he did a great Lt. Blue, Dark Blue Base Clear coat job on it. He then got a Killer sound system installed at our local high end shop. That very evening he got the car back he took it to a carwash place and set it on fire. The shop that put the sound system in got blamed for the car catching on fire. He then got a New Z28 Camaro. I told ya that he was a Dickhead. This same person is now a Master Mason! I am nothing like him thank God. With him being in the Masons I nolonger want anything to do with those Assholes ether. When the Cops come calling he is one Brother that I will not Protect.
                            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                              Are you serious? He burnt 6 month old and 3 year old cars because....?
                              payments too high?

Comment

forgot a weekend score.2 shuttle xpc's with dualcores,2gb ram and new psu's.
                                they were days away from a dumpster.so i didnt have to dive for them.
                                now the place i got them knows to call when they need to get rid of stuff.they thought all i did was recap dell boards.

Comment

The best dumpster find I can think of was an Intel L440GX server board that my nephew found. It came in very handy, using it now as a server.

It seems to have an engineering BIOS on it, not an official one. It also came with an engineering sample P2 processor in it, intended speed is not marked but it runs at 300-333MHz okay. My nephew lives in Folsom, so I guess it might have a connection to an Intel employee.

In the same case with that board was also a KT400 Albatron motherboard with an Athlon XP 2400+ (2GHz). All it needed was caps. Sold the board for an nForce2, kept the processor and that was the basis for his first computer.
                                  Last edited by gdement; 02-04-2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

That boat I mentioned painting in the earlier post.
                                    14' aluminum john boat.
                                    I got it out of the base dumpster.
                                    Guess someone got a short notice transfer overseas.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Today I found some good things at the industrial waste near my office, probably some company in the industrial area has trashed stuff coming from a lab.
                                      I have not connected it to my PC but only powered up to see if it is live and the "Not input signal" appeared.
                                      It looks like a 19" but I have no idea about definition and if it has dead pixel.

ASAP I will test it so if it works, I will build another "artistic" monitor.

The power supply/inverter are made by FSP.

Here some pics and off course... I will post some pics if/when I will build the chassis.

Ciao
                                      Gianni
                                      Attached Files
                                      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                      H. J. Brown

Comment

60" rear projection. Pushed it home (broke a wheel). Had a bad HV splitter and about 3 caps. COMMON defect. Now its up on a vehicle dolly in my room. We have this guy at work that cleans offices down town. He brings us lots of stuff their IT dept throws out. We've gotten PCs, Laptops, ac adapters, ethernet cables never even opened and even 400GB tapes.

He told us the obama campaign threw out all of their computers. Were talking P4 laptops like Dell D600 and tons of desktops. We ended up with 3 or 4 of the laptops. Some were donated by a non profit that was SUPPOSED to donate them to local schools in another state. Instead they went to a political campaign that ended up destroying them when they were done. Missing hard drives of course but otherwise perfectly good. He got what he could carry, rest of it got crushed. Now that's change you can believe in.

Comment

My cousins kid got a P4 1.5 Sony Viao from his neighboors trash and gave it & the 17" crt that goes with it. Just needed to have XP installed

This isn't a dumpster story, but I work @ goodwill, and someone donated a Dell XPS 420 ( Q6600 + 3G memory) to us. Had a missing front bezel and needed to have vista reinstalled. We couldent sell it though cause of the missing bezel. I just put the Q6600 in a Crossfire board, for a special system we're going to sell (also found a X1900, that I put in there too)
                                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                          X