This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

I found a Dell Optiplex 960 micro tower that the Salvation Army Thrift Store had thrown out next to the dumpsters two days ago. Looks to be in nice shape and works. It has Windows 7 Pro installed with it being originally having Vista Business. 2.66 Ghz Core2 Duo Quad Q9400 with the Intel Q45 Express Chipset, WD 160 GB Sata HDD, 2 Sata Dvd Burners, 2 GB DDR2 800 Mhz Memory sticks, 1 FDD, 305 Watt Dell PSU, ATI DELL PCI-E 16x Graphics card but no dongle for connecting to monitors, and a wireless pci card.

Comment

Watch out on that 960 PSU. I've replaced 2 or 3 due to them failing without warning, just one day working and the next a blinking orange power light. It's a standard ATX PSU though which makes replacement easier.

Comment

not the snubber cap issue on another series?!

Comment

No idea, I never looked into them. Not enough power connectors and not a very high wattage, never considered them worth my time. Clients also usually would rather you swap out a faulty PSU than replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
            No idea, I never looked into them. Not enough power connectors and not a very high wattage, never considered them worth my time. Clients also usually would rather you swap out a faulty PSU than replace it.
            Sure, because that "Replace Power" crap dumped on/by Ebay is always better than the Newton was.

Those NPS-xyz, with old caps, are still better than those RP things which have fake caps.

One month is all they last, usually killing mobo caps in time, which aren't supposed to take place of those in the PSU!
            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
            Originally posted by shango066
            All style and no substance.
            Originally posted by smashstuff30
            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
              Sure, because that "Replace Power" crap dumped on/by Ebay is always better than the Newton was.

Those NPS-xyz, with old caps, are still better than those RP things which have fake caps.

One month is all they last, usually killing mobo caps in time, which aren't supposed to take place of those in the PSU!
              If you're paying someone to fix it, I understand PSU replacement over repair, with normal labor rates, the cost to repair will often exceeded the cost of replacement (at least the 300-500w units found in most OE computer systems). Not to mention I could see a liability risk for a shop in repairing something that could potentially start a fire (even if it isn't a faulty repair, they will likely still try to sue you if you worked on it and you will have to incur the expenses to defend yourself), versus putting in a UL certified replacement PSU from a major manufacture and it starts a fire the liability will likely fall on that manufacture or importer. What I definitely don't understand is people replacing a good quality OE PSU with junk, the (relatively) small difference in price is never worth it. Unfortunately many people don't understand the difference between a good PSU and junk, and think all PSUs with the same rated wattage (regardless of whether the rating is realistic) are the same and think saving that $10-15 for a junk unit over a "good" one is a good deal, than are surprised when it fries their motherboard or other components costing far more than the "savings" in short order (or even if it just dies without damaging anything else, there is the cost of replacing it again).

What really amazes me on ebay though, is that many people would buy a new Chinese junk PSU over a used/NOS Delta/Newton/Seasonic/etc. that costs the same price or less.

Comment

Hi I can recall being a little kid about 9 yrs old I was walking after school on a winter day down the snow covered streets suddenly I thought I saw what looked like a antique piece of furniture. It was just sitting out on the main street about a half a block down the street. Once I got closer up to it I realized it was in fact an old classic German radio the ones that have the great big woofers in them. I was so over whelmed by true excitement bec to me finding a classic German Radio was just like finding true gold lol

I knew it would be quite heavy but I attempted lift it up and carry it but it was just too much to me.All I could think of is man if it works or I can fix it what a nice radio 'id have. Lol Being so determined minded and hyped up I got creative and thought why try to carry it on my back and I managed to get it home several blocks but man I can remember what effort it take to finally get it there lol. Believe or not I had it sold before I even managed to get in my front door bec my bro stopped me and said to me what the heck and you doing??? Of course he thought it was nuts to be carrying this heavy old radio at my age and especially in the winter conditions lol. I explained I had found it and he said to me wow it's a nice German radio high quality too and do you want to sell it me? lol Ten bucks was a lot of cash back then especially for a 9 yr old lol It ended I just couldn't refuse his offer so I sold it to him on the spot. When we finally plugged it in I found out all I had to clean the dirty controls and loose wires. I connected up the wiring used the old classic method I just kept turning each control rapidly in both directions and all the controls starting working. It took a couple of mins but the old radio started sounding darn good.I kept thinking I shouldn't of sold it I shouldn't of sold it lol lol Really deep down I was more hyped about getting ten bucks of my very own money to spend lol Also the radio caused conflict within my family bec another family member thought they should of gotten the radio lol. The best part it of was getting to enjoy it in my home and sadly several yrs later it was sold lol

I'am new to forums and to this forum but I really do have give the ppl on here credit for being so helpful and sharing with everybody.To me it's always been a true believe of mine that one should pass on knowledge and experience. I've been trying to do my best to help others for as long as I can remember.Please keep up all the great wonderful work on here. It's nice how ppl have helped so many ppl to fix their electronic devices.Great not to see so many things just go to waist in our dumps etc.

This post is great thank you everybody for sharing their dumpster experiences their a hoot lol

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post

Was actually using some 300W Seasonics a local store had for ~$35/ea. Not the worlds best but so far the oldest one's nearing 3 years and still running fine, especially when the system itself wouldn't draw 150W on a bad day with the 65W CPU and integrated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                    ATI DELL PCI-E 16x Graphics card but no dongle for connecting to monitors...
                    I'm guessing that ATI PCI-E video card has a DMS-59 connector. You can get the adapters on eBay for about $3-5.

Most people don't know any better, so they throw out the system but keep that DMS-59 adapter, thinking it is something valuable that they can put to use. And it's not.

No idea, I never looked into them. Not enough power connectors and not a very high wattage
                    That's because those power supplies are designed to meet the demands of those PCs. Not enough connectors because the case really can't accommodate more than 2-3 HDDs and 2 optical drives. And not high power, again, because the PSU was designed to be enough for that PC.

never considered them worth my time.
                    Dell uses good quality power supplies, so I'd say it IS worth the time to check them out. Obviously the older Bestec or Lite-On units with the tan conductive glue can be a pain to work on, and thus I can understand if people consider those "not worth my time". But many Delta and HiPro units certainly are (save for that one HiPro model that likes to go "kaboom", as stj noted). Typically, they just need a recap and they are as good as new. If you have the caps in stock, it can take just as much time to fix one as it would to purchase a new one. The difference is, you know exactly the quality of the new caps, because you are the one changing them.

So IMO definitely worth popping the cover and taking maybe 5 minutes to see what is wrong.

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                    Not to mention I could see a liability risk for a shop in repairing something that could potentially start a fire (even if it isn't a faulty repair, they will likely still try to sue you if you worked on it and you will have to incur the expenses to defend yourself)
                    I agree with what you say, but if everyone thinks like this, then no one would ever attempt to do anything "risky" for anyone else.

That's why you should always have a shop policy / TOS and have your customers read it and sign it. As with many policies/agreements, you should always have a clause that "frees" you from liability/subsequent damages... you know, the typical "customer assumes all responsibility" BS we always see.
                    Last edited by momaka; 05-03-2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      That's why you should always have a shop policy / TOS and have your customers read it and sign it. As with many policies/agreements, you should always have a clause that "frees" you from liability/subsequent damages... you know, the typical "customer assumes all responsibility" BS we always see.
                      Recapping in no way modifes a power supply, thereby retaining its UL listing. Yes, parts may be changed, but only for like equivalents. No modifications to the circuits or especially, insulation/clearances or transformers, is made.

Now if someone transplanted the guts of an easy-to-find Deer into a certain hard to find older unit, then there's a problem. And that "older" unit may not be so hard to fix anyway...

If anything, power supplies end up "safer" than they originally were- conductive glue removed (if present), excess lead length trimmed, visual inspection, etc. And gee, maybe more DC voltage than ripple, so it doesn't kill attached loads.
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Sparkey55
                        ATI DELL PCI-E 16x Graphics card but no dongle for connecting to monitors...

I'm guessing that ATI PCI-E video card has a DMS-59 connector. You can get the adapters on eBay for about $3-5.

Most people don't know any better, so they throw out the system but keep that DMS-59 adapter, thinking it is something valuable that they can put to use. And it's not.

Just bought a quanity of two DMS59 to VGA dongles on ebay for a total of $10. One to use with the card and the other as a spare. Thank you Momaka.

Comment

sanyo dp46848

It's broken, but i'm here to learn how to fix it

Comment

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Made some goodwill scores:

$1- linkysys re1000 n300 range extender
                            $3- HP LaserJet p1102w
                            $3- linkysys wrt54gl with original box wrapper

I could have nabbed a happauge HD PVR thingy for $3 but I passed on it... Don't need it.
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Morning chaps, went to carboot sale today after a few months.

Picked up a couple of old shuttle computers. Ones a SN25P, can't remember other but both were complete with HDDs, ram etc

Paid £15 for the pair plus he threw in a old 7800gt graphics card. Not exactly a bargain but they had 2gb ddr corsair pro kits in them which I know from experience if working will more than cover the costs.

Just fancied something to tinker with plus I could see mobos have a couple of leaky/bulgy caps on them so will probably try to replace and save them from the scrap.

Comment

My cheap score for today was...well a MSI 845E MAX.

Got it for cheap - $1.27 (5 RON). It was in a really rough condition - dust in enough quantity to plant a flower in there,missing NB heatsink (I was lucky I had one of those sticky PCChips heatsinks) and bulging KZGs. So yeah,I could tell from far away this thing had a rough life. Oh,and the VRM heatsinks it was supposed to have? Ripped out. Thanks god the VRMs were fine.

Interesting enough,the motherboard does actually work. I recapped it with some OST RLX caps (whcih aren't something new,you can find them on ECS/PCChips boards all the time),dropped a 2.4GHz Northwood,and it POST'd. Added the missing CMOS battery,and it's working fine now. I'll have to find a clamped heatsink though,as that PCChips heatsink is so cheap (what did PCChips ever do that is in any way quality????)I fear it might fall off and short my stuff out.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Found a universal AC/DC motor near the same industrial dumpster I always check. Rated for 208/240 V, 1.7A, 380 Watts. Didn't smell like burned wires, so I took it. Seems to run fine when stator and rotor are wired in series ("suicide" motor). Not so happy with a parallel connection, though (draws a lot of current). Perhaps this was out of a washing machine? Anyways, the brushes don't appear worn, but there was quite a bit of brush material deposits under the brushes. Is this normal?

Also found some kind of a round 8" A/C duct with a long run of Nichrome heating wire in it. Maybe out of a heating / forced air system. Probably got thrown out because there was a break in the Nichrome wire. Of course, I didn't take the whole thing, just the Nichrome wire. The wire itself is very thick - around 18 AWG maybe. The whole run has about 10-15 Ohms resistance. Would sure make a good PSU load.

Originally posted by Sparkey55 View Post
                                  Just bought a quanity of two DMS59 to VGA dongles on ebay for a total of $10. One to use with the card and the other as a spare. Thank you Momaka.
                                  You are welcome!

Comment

My brother in law found a old lamp in the skip at a place he was working at (Painter / decorator) 2 weeks ago.

Was going to give it to my mother to use on her sewing machine but she didn't want the rusty looking thing. Anyhow he stuck it on ebay and it sold for £86

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                                      Was going to give it to my mother to use on her sewing machine but she didn't want the rusty looking thing. Anyhow he stuck it on ebay and it sold for £86
                                      Lol, typical of eBay

Comment

Picked up a Powermac 9600 for $1 (but paid the guy a bit more).

400 MHz PowerPC G3 w/ 1 meg cache (Newertech upgrade)
                                        448 MB ram (6x 64 + 2x 32)
                                        ATI Radeon DDR
                                        ATI Mac Radeon 9200
                                        Atto ExpressPCI UL3D Ultra 160 SCSI controller
                                        4.5 gig Seagate HDD
                                        4 gig Quantum HDD
                                        74 gig 10k Fujitsu HDD (on the Atto).

Comment

Local Recycler is no longer buying here so folks are setting it out in the yard for free. I managed to get a pickup truck load during our set it out for free weekend and found several nice goodies. I don't need the $ but my passion for grabbing up computer parts makes my wife go bonkers on me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X