upgrading HP 2509B to LED - Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading HP 2509B to LED - Need help

I have spent a while trying to get My Hp 2509B Monitor to work by fixing the power board. the stand off board than needed 3 items replaced
    (HP 2509m Monitor PS ILPI-162 Repair Kit) and i also replace the transformers (Transformer SPW-068) and a tube and its still having the shutdown issues.. I have decided to just upgrade the monitor to LED instead so i don't have to deal with this tube issue again. The only issues I have is one the boards are not marked telling me what each wire is at the connectors and the other is trying to figure out where to connect up the wires when i do buy the LED upgrade kit for a 25 inch monitor. the LED strip needs to be no more that 5.8mm wide and 570mm in length.
    If someone could suggest at led strip upgrade kit that would work that would be great and I'm sure i will need an buck converter to turn the voltage down to the proper voltage for the kit.

I will also need some help find where i will need to wire up the connections once i have the items i need. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: upgrading HP 2509B to LED - Need help

this is what i am looking at
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XFXM4NA...v_ov_lig_dp_it

and

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQGMOKI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

unless you can suggest anything better...
    Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 07-09-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

the cable running from power to main board.
      on main board side
      1 Red 5v
      2 black 5v
      3 black 5v
      4 black 5v
      5 black 5v
      6 black 0
      7 black 0
      8 black 0
      9 black 0
      10 black 135mv
      11 black 0
      12 black 3.2v

on power board side
      1 Red 5v
      2 no pin no wire
      3 black 5v
      4 black 5v
      5 black 5v
      6 black 5v
      7 black 0
      8 black 0
      9 black 0
      10 black 0
      11 black 135mv
      12 black 0
      13 black 3.2v
      Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 07-09-2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

hi,

Before you start your led conversion, you need to identify the spot to get your proper voltage. The led driverboard red pin VIN need 12vdc which you need to source from one of the electrolytic cap positive pin.

As per your led kit, it said the yellow pin ENA need 5vdc. On my Samsung monitor, the ENA i normally solder to the enable on off pin. Is better to check which one is the right pin from your board schematic since your power board does not have the voltage silkscreen printed. or else you can use your dmm to test voltage of each black pin on the output side such as pin 7,8,9 when power is on. When power is switch on, the enable on off pin will output dc voltage around 2~3vdc. The ENA pin must be connected for the led driver to work.

The white DIM pin is to connect to your dimmer part of your power board, sometimes is marked B DIM. The black GND is to connect to any ground screw area. Hope this gives you a general idea.

Comment

yes there are no markings on the board. I have looked all over the internet trying to find a service manual or schematic to this monitor and have had no luck finding anything. I have even tried looking for something that used the same boards like a different model and no luck there. Trying for find out what i need to look for when probing the board does help. Im sure i will have more questions once i start probing around for voltages and such.

Comment

I think i might have figured out some of this but checking for confirmation. There Is a daughter board connected to the power board before the circuit gets to the transformers. It is iltr-034 rev:a it has an IC on it U1 (inl816gn). Im thinking this chip is where i get the connections i need for the on and off, also the dimming. Will i need to do something to disable the transformers so they are not under power anymore. I will upload pictures of the iltr-034 the whole board when I can.
            Attached Files

Comment

iltr-034 rev:a
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee.warrior View Post
                I think i might have figured out some of this but checking for confirmation. There Is a daughter board connected to the power board before the circuit gets to the transformers. It is iltr-034 rev:a it has an IC on it U1 (inl816gn). Im thinking this chip is where i get the connections i need for the on and off, also the dimming. Will i need to do something to disable the transformers so they are not under power anymore. I will upload pictures of the iltr-034 the whole board when I can.
                Have you checked what is the dc voltage on pin 6 of U1 during power on? If you get about 3vdc and not more than 5vdc during power on, it is likely the enable pin.
                For the time being, i don't think you need to disable the transformers yet. You can wait till you get all the voltages correct and then solder to your led kit and test it out. If your led strips are flickering, that could be a case of under power. Then you may consider removing those blue caps at c25 & c32 to cut off power to transformers. You need to trace the board before you remove anything.

Comment

Ok testing the electrolytic caps on the power board they are either 31v or 5v so I am guessing i will need to get a dc-dc buck converter for supplying the power for the led board. On Cn 853 on the power board i am reading (this is the cable running from the main board to power board).

color on off
                  1 red 5v 5v
                  2 nw (no wire)
                  3 blk 5v 5v
                  4 blk 5v 5v
                  5 blk 5v 5v
                  6 blk 5v 5v
                  7 blk 0v 0v
                  8 blk 0v 0v
                  9 blk 0v 0v
                  10 blk 0v 0v
                  11 blk 0v 3v (enable connection I'm guessing)
                  12 blk 0v 0v
                  13 blk 3.2v 3.2v

on U1 i get no voltage on pin 6 but i get 2.9v on pin 7 though.

I do have an led lamp and backlight tester. I'm thinking about using it to power up the led backlights and playing around with the brightness controls and seeing what readings change to see if i can for sure find the brightness connection.

dc-dc converter has been ordered.
                  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                  Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 07-16-2021, 03:24 PM. Reason: updating

Comment

ok just tested ping 11 on cn853 on power board. when monitor is powered up and using my led tester to power the leds not very brightly but enough to see the screen. I have got into the brightness setting and went from 100% to zero and and pin 11 goes from 1.2v to 3v. so I'm guessing i have found the brightness control connection. But when power is shutdown on the monitor pin 11 has no power so it acts as an on and off connection. so could I hook both the enable wire and the brightness wire together and connect both to pin 11?

my led driver board is rated max for 30 volts and the voltage coming for the caps are 31v or 5v so I'm going to purchase ad dc-dc converter to drop the voltage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I am not too sure on that pin 11 as it is labelled as voltage feedback. But from your initial testing, it sounds like you had success to light the led strip.

Also, I think you can inquire from your seller whether it is ok to hook the ENA to the DIM wire together. The Dc converter should be able to provide your required voltage so it does not exceed max 30vdc.

Comment

the pin 11 i was talking about was from the cn853 connector and cable that runs from the power supply to the main board and not the IC. It changed in voltage when i went into the brightness settings of the monitor and adjusted it up and down it went from 3v to 1.2v and back up when i turned it back up. but that pin also has no power when the power for the monitor is shut off.

on IC U1 i get 2.9v on pin 6 (enable and and pwm dimming input) and zero on pin 7 (pid-analog dim).
                        I have traced pin 11 from Cn 853 and it goes to after going thru some resistors and a cap to pin 6 of IC U1.
                        Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 07-16-2021, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Since you got 2.9vdc on pin 6 of ic at U1 (during power on), i can assure you this is the yellow Enable pin you needed for your led driver. Have you test run your led driver on this pin 6 to see if your led strips will lit up just like how you test run on pin 11 CN853? Hope that this setup will make the led strips lit brighter.

What about the voltage required for your red VIN wire? You will need about 12~18vdc to run that VIN wire, most likely sourced from the positive side of an electrolytic cap with the help from your dc buck converter. From what i know, led strips tend to run cooler and energy efficient, and most important it is more durable longer lasting than normal ccfl tube. I wish you the complete success in your led conversion soon.

Comment

Since you got 2.9vdc on pin 6 of ic at U1 (during power on), i can assure you this is the yellow Enable pin you needed for your led driver. Have you test run your led driver on this pin 6 to see if your led strips will lit up just like how you test run on pin 11 CN853? Hope that this setup will make the led strips lit brighter.
                            If i am not mistaken, that Pin 7 of ic at U1 is the dimming pin you need to connect to your white DIM wire of your led driver.

What about the voltage required for your red VIN wire? You will need about 12~18vdc to run that VIN wire, most likely sourced from the positive side of an electrolytic cap with the help from your dc buck converter. From what i know, led strips tend to run cooler and energy efficient, and most important it is more durable longer lasting than normal ccfl tube. I wish you the complete success in your led conversion soon.

Comment

I am waiting for the dc-dc buck converter to show up which is sometime this Sunday. Once I have that I will wire it to the plus side of one of the 31v electrolytic caps and the negative to power board ground plane and adjust the voltage down to 12v. I am thinking about connecting both wires (enable & dim) to pin 11 of cn853 which becomes pin 6 on the iltr-034 board (except it has two resistors and a cap it runs thru the board before it gets to U1 pin 6 on iltr-034 board). I found a spot on the power board that i have wired a yellow wire to that is partly between those two points. guess we will see what happens and I post my results here.

you can see the path and the resistors and cap in one of the pictures. I lightly traced the path in yellow.
                              Attached Files

Comment

OK.. Got the DC-DC converter is wired and adjusted to 12v. The dim wire from the led board is connected to the yellow wire i connected to the power board /inverter brd (which is wired ultimately to pin 6 of U1 (it does go thru a 100k and a 10k resistor and a cap before it gets to pin 6 on U1)) the brightness does work but does not adjust the brightness a whole lot and the adjustment is reversed (lowering raises brightness - raising lowers brightness). I'm wondering if wiring dim directly to U1 #6 pin will give increase the level of adjustment for the brightness control.
                                Even with U1 pin 6 saying it is enable as well as dim input it does not provide enough power to turn the leds on (to trigger the enable on the led board) i connected it to a 5v source and the leds are on but i (can not) find a 5v source that shuts off when i turn the power off on the monitor.
                                Those are my issues now. Any suggestions.

Comment

Hi,

Your led driver board GYD-9E is the exact same type I have been using on my Samsung monitor model 732N and Acer monitor model AL1717 with success install and working fine.
                                  It is a bit strange that your pin 6 at U1 output 2.9vdc does not trigger the enable on off of your led driver. For both my Samsung and Acer monitor, the voltage used on my Enable wire is about 3vdc sourced from the ENA pin of my power supply board.

Later you mentioned an external 5v source works to make the led on. I think you can get the 5vdc from those small electrolytic cap on your power board which will make your led switch on and it will shut off your led board eventually after you shut off power to your monitor. Maybe it takes a few minutes before that cap discharges fully. That is the best option i can think of. Or attach an extra power switch on off to switch the 5vdc manually, and stick it outside your monitor.

Comment

I used the pin 6 for the dim connection but it does not dim by very much. My guess its not a big enough voltage change for the led board. I hooked the led enable to a 5v source and i put a toggle switch between the dc-dc converter and the led board on the positive wire to turn off the leds.
                                    I suppose I could a potentiometer to control the voltage for dimming, create a larger voltage change.
                                    Last edited by cherokee.warrior; 07-19-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I have it in a usable state at least
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

WOW, for me your Hp monitor now looks marvellous and congrats! Give yourself a huge pat on your back, i believe you done well. The red on off toggle switch on the back is a neat modded addition which might get you into the "mod hall of fame".

Bravo and enjoy your much clearer, longer lasting led monitor.

Comment

Working...
                                        X