Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor voltage

I am still looking for a solution to problem using the BMS balancing protection board that for most part good but have the issue with batteries not having the same exact charging and discharging curves

Also is there a way to make the battery voltage monitoring system to correctly report the exact battery voltage instead of estimating the voltage between battery cells

I do not want the IMAX b6 to charge them I just want to able to monitor the battery voltage on each battery cell and use my own BMS balancing protection board that I am going to use on this battery pack

I also want the IMAX b6 battery tester to still use the computer to show the results

Is anyone interested in modification that it would take to do this if can be done

I am willing to send you a IMAX b6 version 2 ( or something similar that is in the price range ) for your effort in this project to keep for your self for the work

The only request that I have is that you modify the new IMAX b6 battery tester for me to get back from the person that under take this challenge but I also want to see a YouTube video showing how it would work

I would do this myself but I do not have programming experience with the micro controller that is in this device

If anyone is interested in this project please PM

If this is not allowed on this forum I completely understand and if this post needs to be removed please feel free to do this or need to be moved
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 07-31-2021, 08:28 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor volta

if it wont throw an error, you could remove the load balancing resistors and the main switching fet.

Comment

Re: Is there a way to modify a IMAX b6 battery tester version 2 to only monitor volta

Originally posted by stj View Post
      if it wont throw an error, you could remove the load balancing resistors and the main switching fet.
      Thanks I will try this tip

I am going to buy a new one first before I start messing with the one I have right now
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I am having a discussion about this topic on another forum if anyone is interested in the information gained from this topic

https://forums.parallax.com/discussi...ionally#latest
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update to your question you were asking it does not throw an error however it locks up the controller because it does not see any amperage

I do not know if there is a work around for this I have HTR clone unit that I am doing this on
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

how many updates per second are you wanting?

Comment

how many updates per second are you wanting?
              Two per second would work
              I could live with it if it was one per second
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Also there is no easy way to disable the positive side of the power supply it use two diodes on that side of the power supply rail the negative side power rail has the current sensor wire if you remove it -> it goes to 6 amp not what you setup in the controller
                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-07-2021, 07:29 PM.
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                  Two per second would work
                  I could live with it if it was one per second
                  STJ
                  Did you come up with anything
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

no, not at that speed.
                    well not cheaply anyway.
                    you could by a bunch of multimeters with serial ports but that can add up fast.

my initial idea was a serial linked meter like a uni-t ut61e and a bunch of relays, but then your only taking one sample every couple of seconds and you need to multiply that by the number of cells

Comment

The 4051 circuit on parallax is laughable.

The lm324 circuit works but you have a maximum of around 6 or 7 (NOT 8) cells before you run into the lm324's limits, and you still have to deal with error/offsets/power for the op amp (32VDC) and don't use a LM2902(which has only 26V limit). Coupled witih a 4051 you'd only need one adc.

The correct, professional way, again, is multiple "meters" but they don't really have to be "complete" meters. Isolation is the problem. If you want to put in relays to use fewer meters, be prepared to make a n² switching fabric network making it almost as laughable as that 4051 circuit.
                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 08-13-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

there are adc's with upto 16 multiplexed inputs,
                        but it will need to have a common ground and use software to split the cell voltages.
                        not a problem, but sam doesnt like it.

Comment

yeah just trying to appease sam's constraint of full dynamic range for each cell. Your solution loses dynamic range.

The LM324 solution if you solve the power and offset error issues, should also have full dynamic range per cell. You still need multiplexing.

Again a n² crossbar switch is needed if you really want to use just one high resolution measurement device for a battery with n number of series cells.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                            yeah just trying to appease sam's constraint of full dynamic range for each cell. Your solution loses dynamic range.

The LM324 solution if you solve the power and offset error issues, should also have full dynamic range per cell. You still need multiplexing.

Again a n² crossbar switch is needed if you really want to use just one high resolution measurement device for a battery with n number of series cells.
                            Okay

How would you go about doing this
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

doing what? the lm324 is detailed on the other forum but you have to solve the power and offset issues. If you have a 32V PSU then you solved the harder issue, offset can be fixed in software. Again n=6S or 7S is the limit of this as-is.

the n² crossbar switch is so utterly stupid, for n=8 do you really want 64 relays in your design even if they are small reed relays?

actually n/m it's 2(n+1), though (n+1)² is the generic case... still 18 relays is silly and you still need isolation. stj's simpler solution is better even if it loses dynamic range... and isolation isn't needed, likewise the lm324 solution.
                              Last edited by eccerr0r; 08-14-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Hmm... thinking about it more, the easiest relay solution is just one set of relays for + and -, so n+1 hence 2(n+1) and therefore 2(n+1) control lines.

For using a SPDT tiered approach at least you'd need only log2(n+1) wires to control them, however still need about the same number of relays... so unless you had two 1 of n+1 decoders handy, the SPDT is a lot less control wires.

Comment

If you have a SkyRc IMAX b6 version 2 and you decide to recap the the controller board be very careful doing this because the board is very shite design the traces come off very easily

There is a 10uf@25 volts under the screen that test 4.1 ESR value results a new one 0.38
                                  And yes I had to unsolder the screen so I could get to it

I am not sure exactly what this capacitor does but the traces are very small and come off the board very easily I had to repair a trace was right next to the capacitor that I replaced

From the circuit diagram it seems to be for the 5 volt regulator from what I can see

According to SkyRc volt meter it is 15.5 volts it might do 4 amp continuously I doubt that it would 6 amps continuously which is what is supposedly in this switching power supply ???????

The switching power supply board has a 10uf@50 volts capacitor ESR value was around 1.something and a new one 0.40 ESR reading

The power supply has a heat sink that is on one side of the power supply most of the way

The reason I went to recap this unit was because I was having issues with it connecting to my computer and not controlling the battery charger

After I have replaced the capacitor under the screen it now connects to computer very easily
                                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-14-2021, 03:45 PM.
                                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                  1 Dell Mother Board
                                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

I have been thinking about this issue

If you were to two poll / two positions relays you would only need to have 6 of them you would have a lot of wire to be concerned about making sure that your polarity is correct and that you do have have more than one battery cell at any given time to a volt meter have a micro controller do the controlling the relay every two to four seconds I think this might be possible I have to find the right type of relay for this project

This is for a 6 battery cell pack

I am just thinking about this out loud

Something like this type of relay

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...A2-5NU/5502071
                                    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-14-2021, 05:39 PM.
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

actually dont need n+1, n is sufficient actually. But still 6S => need 6 relays for + and 6 relays for -. Whether you use a DPST to reduce the number of relays doesn't matter much, it will halve them, but you still need to carefully control 6 relays and not turn on more than one at a time.
                                      You can use a tiered DPDT relay tree too if wanted, and for 6 cells you only need ceil(log2(6))=3 control wires controlling 6 DPDT relays. A 7th relay will get you 8 cells monitored, and most importantly you still need to isolate your measurement device.

Comment

What I going to do is have each battery cell on it own relay and use a 4 1/2 meter to measure the voltage

I going to connect both the positive and negative sides on each battery one at a time to the meter then disconnect that battery cell and go to the next battery cell and so on

The time that the relay is ON will have to done when I have all the parts and have it hooked up

But how I going to test this device is using regular AA battery that you can buy at the grocery store so if something goes horrible wrong I would have a big bad fire and a lot of hissing going on

If I have forgot something please point it out to me I am all ears

I would like to thank all of you that have contributed to this discussion on this topic and project

This where this discussion began with the “ KSGER Battery BMS charge battery board review”

I have not been able to get this issue out of my head trying to figure why this BMS balancing protection board does not want to work as you would expect it to

I want to answer the question weather or not it a bad deign or you have to perfectly match the battery cells for it to work correctly I have answer this question once and for all

Because ideally I would like to have a very compact soldering iron station that was the hole reason for buying this setup in the first place

I know you might think that I might have impulsive compulsive disorder and you are correct that I can have a bad case of it when questions are not answered WHY it will not work correctly

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=Ksger&page=4

But it not for the reason about the battery operated soldering iron station it also I have bought some BMS balancing protection boards to test for a project idea and put it on hold because I did not like the results of the BMS balancing protection board that I bought

I just bought to change it from 40 volts to 32 volts BMS protection board does not have the balancing feature on but it would not be very inconvenient if it does not balance the battery voltage because it very hard to find a battery charger for 32 volts in the first place unless used two 16 volt BMS balancing protection boards but unfortunately I only have one and I do not know if I can find another from Battery Hookup or not I have to look
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-14-2021, 08:10 PM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                                        X