xbox 360 blowing mosfet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: xbox 360 blowing mosfet

I removed the mosfets. Soldered an ATX power supply to the ground and the 5V line (output of the mosfets) and the power brick. Then powered the ATX PSU and touched the start button. Voila 3 red ligts in the ring. The error code 0031 meaning RAM not getting power (control for that comes from the same chip) also when powering up for the short while it happens I only get 0V at RAM testpoint with the multimeter. https://xbox-experts.com/errorcode/E13/0031/
    Last edited by waldoalvarez00; 05-06-2016, 03:23 PM.

Comment

We just ordered a pack of 5 ADP1823 chips at aliexpress for around 8 USD since now I am totally sure is the culprit. But thanks, I appreciate it. Regards. Hope the trick helps someone else .

Comment

See this comment in the forum

seve91 on 2012-12-20 22:24:32 :

reballed almost everything!!! Replaced GPU, reflowed CPU, reballed 4 ram brick
        (my model have only 4 ram bricks only on top), reballed SB, reflowed
        HANA....check Q6F1 no short. Still 0031...then replaced ADP1823 and finally
        fired up

Comment

Hope something else didn't damaged that chip however.

Comment

Originally posted by waldoalvarez00 View Post
            I removed the mosfets. Soldered an ATX power supply to the ground and the 5V line (output of the mosfets) and the power brick. Then powered the ATX PSU and touched the start button. Voila 3 red ligts in the ring. The error code 0031 meaning RAM not getting power (control for that comes from the same chip) also when powering up for the short while it happens I only get 0V at RAM testpoint with the multimeter. https://xbox-experts.com/errorcode/E13/0031/
            Yup, that sounds about right, then. That controller really must be bad. Hopefully it didn't take out the RAM when it went bad.

Originally posted by waldoalvarez00 View Post
            We just ordered a pack of 5 ADP1823 chips at aliexpress for around 8 USD since now I am totally sure is the culprit. But thanks, I appreciate it. Regards. Hope the trick helps someone else .
            Cool.
            Let us know how it goes and if that fixes the Xbox.

Comment

Hi everyone..i am new to this forum. I am an engineer by profession and as per my experience PLL was use for FM radios so that when the frequency carrier started to drift a feedback circuit would correct it on the input oscillator. i think with a power supply that is frequency modulated the modulator has a tendency to drift so they are using the PLL to correct this error.
              pcb assembly cost

Comment

Just an update, I replaced the chip by a brand new one and nothing. Is not the chip. It is something in that circuit however. I expect this month or next one to buy an oscilloscope. Really needed for some tasks. I will keep you posted. Just for the fun of fixing this. I mean gotta be something there. a cap or a resistor or something. I hope the waveform tells me something to trace that.

Comment

Good to hear back on this. I am still reading, so keep us updated.

Comment

I should test those small SMD caps around the chip for shorts at least. Maybe some burned SMD resistor could shed some light without a scope. I have that transistor tester I modded a little bit adding some aligator clips that has ESR testing but don't think is too good. Fact is I have measured bulged electrolitic caps that have what looks good ESR (at least not altered compared to good ones) but they leak a lot (doesn't keep charge too well). I should check the QFN soldering as well. Looks good at least (visually I mean) but that format is quite problematic to solder at least for me. And not quite easy to test for shorts. Gotta buy a microscope as well eventually for visual inspections. Definitely is that circuit. It booted well (except for the BGA problems) when I putted the 5v from the ATX. I don't wanna do a reflow with heat gun cause so far I've got shorts for an XBOX 1.8v and a no power for a motherboard. Lack of expertise in that.

Comment

I need help for jasper motherboard i read the nand 256mb without problems, damn my bad luck when start on standby mode coolrunner i is on red light after 15 sec coolrunner is off and never again wont on, no red light anymore when connect again adapter is on yellow light when connect to xbox immediately adapter go to red light before rgh console works perfectly adapter if disconnected on power back is on yellow light again when connect to xbox go to red light, i found one mosfet on motherboard short to ground see on the picture maybe smd capacitor i don't know both legs i have beep on multimeter i no remove jp and c8 capacitor !

Comment

Originally posted by risting View Post
                        I need help for jasper motherboard i read the nand 256mb without problems, damn my bad luck when start on standby mode coolrunner i is on red light after 15 sec coolrunner is off and never again wont on, no red light anymore when connect again adapter is on yellow light when connect to xbox immediately adapter go to red light before rgh console works perfectly adapter if disconnected on power back is on yellow light again when connect to xbox go to red light, i found one mosfet on motherboard short to ground see on the picture maybe smd capacitor i don't know both legs i have beep on multimeter i no remove jp and c8 capacitor !
                        The component circled in red is not a MOSFET, but rather a 3.3V regulator (LM1117-33 or equivalent, if I remember correctly.) It takes 5V standby power from the power adapter and converts it to 3.3V standby, which is then used by (H)ANA chip, SB, and I think a few other low-power ICs. It also feeds into the 1.8V standby regulator to the left of it (LM1117-18 or equivalent, IIRC.)

So if that 3.3V regulator is not outputting 3.3V on its left-most leg, you either have some other component shorting the 3.3V standby rail or that 3.3V reg is bad (unlikely.) Since this seems to have happened after reading the NAND, I would suggest to check all work that you have done, and particularly look for any solder bridges or damaged components that you might have caused in the process of modding.

Again, on a normal working Xbox 360 motherboard, you will see 3.3V and 1.8V standby from those two regulators as long as the power adapter is plugged in the wall.

Comment

Now i no have any power on xbox no red light adapter is yellow light xbox 360 wont power on when connect power adapter this 2 regulators ST on the picture near to Nana chip for 5 sec are very hot !!! on xbox no any light i on multimeter i have short to ground to many capacitors smd electrolit caps
                          Last edited by risting; 09-19-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

On this two regulators i not see any voltage empty 0 volt on standby i desoldering from motherboard, multimeter measuring on diode mod left leg give me 750v righ leg 560v it is ok regulator or shorted ?
                            Last edited by risting; 09-20-2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

See this diagram:

With the adapter plugged into the Xbox, you should be getting ONLY the voltage shown in PURPLE. This means you should also get 5V on the right leg of the 3.3V STBY regulator (the one circled in purple and labeled "STANDBY POWER"). This should be happening regardless of whether the regulator is actually on the board or not, as it's a direct connection to the power brick's 5VSB rail.

The multimeter readings in diode mode of the regulators don't mean much. The only way to test these regulators is to either have them installed on the board and supply them with power or build a test circuit on a breadboard and see if they work (look up "1117-33" and "1117-18" voltage regulator datasheets and copy the typical application circuit from it.)

That said, a good test to perform with your multimeter is to set it on lowest resistance test mode (typically 200 Ohms for manual multimeter) and measure the resistance between where the arrow points to 3.3V and any GND connection on the motherboard. Do this with the power adapter -disconnected- from the motherboard. Also check the 1.8V regulator the same way. If you have a low resistance under 100-200 Ohms on any of these regulator output pins, you might have shorted something else downstream when you were performing the mod.
                              Last edited by momaka; 09-20-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Left leg i have 540 ohm right 600 ohm

Comment

Tnx for respond, it is possible to use regulator LD1117AS18TR IC REG LDO 3.3v and 1.8V 1.2A SOT-223 small size ?

Comment

How to protect motherboard when installing rgh need resistors 100ohm before wires?

Comment

Tnx for respond, it is possible to use regulator LD1117AS18TR IC REG LDO 3.3v and 1.8V 1.2A SOT-223 small size ?
                                      Most likely, YES.
                                      Just make sure these are "fixed" regulators - i.e. set to output only 1.8V or 3.3V. The left-side pads for these regulators on the Xbox 360 motherboard are directly connected to ground. So if you tried to use an "adjustable" 1117 regulator, you'd likely only get 1.2V.

How to protect motherboard when installing rgh need resistors 100ohm before wires?
                                      Not sure, I've never had to do this mod before.

Comment

I no have voltage on this 2 regulators when adapter plugged on standby and they for 10 sec are very hot ! like grill 80c

Comment

So that means whatever circuit they give power to may have a short-circuit.
                                          Most likely either NAND, Southbridge, or HANA chip could be damaged from the mod you did, if you wired it improperly. Without detailed pictures and info of what you did, I can't direct you any further where the issue could be.

Comment

Working...
                                          X