Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mackie CR4 amplifier no sound

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
    i would have added wires to Q2 C and E and shorted them when it went back into mute . then i saw that 10v difference . it should be hard on .. maybe i not looking at it right and the resistors are throwing me off .
    You know, that actually brings a good question:
    Should Q2 be "hard on" (i.e. operating in Saturation) in the above circuit?

The more I look at it, the more I think not. Perhaps a Mackie designer can answer why R91 is connected between ground and Emitter of Q2 instead of pin 5 of amp IC and Collector of Q2 (with Q2 Emitter tied directly to ground.) In that arrangement, Q2 can easily be used as a "switching device". Whereas right now, I think it looks more like a current amplifier... and the problem with this is that even small mV changes in the Base voltage of Q2 can induce large changes in the current flow through its Emitter. And while B-E voltage will always be about a diode drop apart, C-E doesn't have to be. In fact, C-E can be any voltage if Q2 is operating in its Active region... which is what I think may be happening here too.

So if C39 is determined to be OK... or at least the amplifier still acting goofy and muting by itself without C39, then I think there is also a possibility that we may be looking at a marginal design in the mute circuit.

**EDIT**
    I looked at the circuit again, and indeed Q2 is used more like an amplifier than a switch so that it can drive different voltages on pin 5 in order to go between STBY/Mute/Play.
    But IMHO, this still looks like an awfully complex way to do that.
    Last edited by momaka; 11-12-2020, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Guys, thanks so much for the input and for perseverance. Although I haven't undesrstood half of what you wrote about ( ), I do see what I am to do. OK, I will desolder one contact of C39 and test again to see what happens. I will also measure again the voltages on both transistors' three contacts.
      Momaka, sorry, I must have misunderstood your prvious message with the instructions on what to measure, you were referring to Q2 only while explaining the entire mechanism, I didn't realize I was to measure its base also so I only measured that of Q1. But, seeing that Q2's base is connected to one end of R88, the voltage is probably the same (+2.9V in play mode and +0.100mV in mute mode) - sorry about that, this time I will measure all three legs on both transistors with headphones both plugged and unplugged.
      I pray that it is a cap's fault as it would be the easiest part to replace.
      Last edited by UserXP; 11-12-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

OK, one silly question - since Q2's collector, which sends the different voltages to TDA's Pin 5, is connected to that pin through a jumper, would it be possible to replace that jumper with a small resistor that will always keep the voltage going through it like 2 volts less and thus make it work?
        So, if in play mode Q2 sends 14-15V to pin 5, the resistor could lower it to maybe 13V.
        And in mute mode, instead of those 21V, it could reduce it to like 19V which would certainly make the amplifier mute (by what I witnessed yesterday when it comes to fading sound, I'd say it would mute fully at 15.5V, 16V or 17V for sure).

Again, as this does sound like a workaround and it's just there as a question, I would like to fix the cause of the issue and not improvise anything, it's just a question ( ). Of course, the current leak might continue and still reach those 14-15V even with that resistor, I am just curious and making a wild guess here.
        Last edited by UserXP; 11-12-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Q2 is controlled by its base .

Comment

I unsoldered one leg of capacitor C39, labelled as 50V1uF. The ESR meter displays:

965nF
            ESR=1.5ohm
            Vloss= 0.4%
            Last edited by UserXP; 11-13-2020, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I will disassemble the workng unit tomorrow to attach its cables to the non-working unit and test the behaviour with the C39 unsoldered.
              To me, the ESR data looks normal for a capacitor with those ratings.

Comment

One additional observation: now that C39 is out of the circuit, R22 measures perfectly! It instantly shows 9.997 or 10.00 kohm no matter how I place the probes, like on the working unit. I am looking forward to testing the unit tomorrow in the full set-up. But, this is the first time I've seen that R22 measures like it's supposed to. I really hope this will impact the voltage in a positive way.
                I have desoldered the leg of C39 that is in contact with Q2's collector and TDA's pin 5.

Any thoughts on this?
                Last edited by UserXP; 11-13-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

If that C39 has leakage resistance, it will affect the Voltage of the divider circuit Voltage, just power up the unit and see if the pin 5 will be stable or not without the cap.
                  At this point I would get a couple 1uF for this unit and the working unit since more likely the one in working unit will fail later on as well
                  Last edited by budm; 11-13-2020, 04:24 PM.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Guys, I think you are on to something here! I've just connected the amplifier to the speaker's housing and it's working! With C39 out of the circuit, I get almost steady +13.89V on pin 5. It doesn't even reach +14V, let alone approach the +15V mute threshold. It's been playing for almost half an hour with no change.

What I don't understand is that one pad of C39 measures +20V and the other (the one on pin 5 lead) measures +13.90V. What kind of a capacitor is this, how can it have two positive supply rails?
                    Last edited by UserXP; 11-14-2020, 04:10 AM.

Comment

lowest voltage goes to -

Comment

lowest voltage goes to -
                        Ok.
                        Well, it's just reached +14.06V but very, very steady. Nothing dramatic like before. Still playing, though.

Does this capacitor need to be 1uF? I have Panasonic 50V2.2uF I think FR series at my disposal. Will it be fine to use it, or should I go for the original 1uF? If yes, what brand/series would you recommend for a cap of this function and this close to the heatsink?

Comment

Still hovering at +14V. This has been the longest play mode so far.
                          Without C39, I noticed low crackling when switching to headphones and measuring.

Speaking of which, here are the transistor voltages:

Without Headphones:
                          Q1 B = +2.10V
                          Q1 E = +0.00V
                          Q1 C = +2.93V

Q2 B = +2.93V
                          Q2 E = +2.35V
                          Q2 C = +14.00V

With headphones:
                          Q1 B = +130mV
                          Q1 E = +0.00V
                          Q1 C = +160mV

Q2 B = +200mV
                          Q2 E = +0.00V
                          Q2 C = +21.00V

Comment

It is still playing, now at +14.2V. The whole board is now warm. I guess the temperature might be influencing the capacitors. They are some "Cap-Top" brand, all of them. The small ones are especially prone to drying due to heat. C39 is the closest to the heatsink. I guess the working unit has a better batch of caps in this area of the PCB as they've been fine for 5 years now.

Comment

It is definitively hovering right. Now it dropped to 14.10V. It's still playing without stuttering the volume, this is great! Please, advise which replacement capacitor should I go for? Rubycon, Panasonic, any Japanese and an adequate series.
                              If the problem gets solved, and it definitively is promising, we should compose a troubleshooting guide for these monitor speakers for repair as no complete schematics are available. Just for future reference.

Comment

I think you solved the problem. It really is C39 that was the cause of the problem. The amplifier is still playing fine, the voltage on pin 5 hovers steadily between +14.11V and +14.25V. The Mackie guy said that these voltages are normal to vary; on the working unit it also varies, it's just slightly lower and below 14V, probably due to variations in material.
                                Momaka, Budm and Pete - thank you so much, guys! You did it! From bad transistors to a bad capacitor, you persevered 7 pages with me and the remote diagnostics from somebody with little to no knowledge in electronics such as myself.
                                I am looking forward to your input and suggestions on which caps to use.
                                And who knows how many CR4s this thread will save from being thrown into junk, thanks to you.
                                Last edited by UserXP; 11-14-2020, 06:43 AM.

Comment

The failed capacitor data:

Brand: Cap-top
                                  Series: SK
                                  Rating: 50V1uF 105°C
                                  Size (hight x diameter): 11mm x 5mm

Could you suggest a suitable replacement, preferably but not necessarily with a black sleeve and white lettering and a "x" shape of the vent?
                                  Last edited by UserXP; 11-14-2020, 07:24 AM.

Comment

general purpose one there i would think .

Comment

general purpose one there i would think .
                                      I'd like to put one that is similar to the other caps: black sleeve, white lettering and a cros vent. Of course, this is just for rare visual purposes.
                                      I can't believe this thing has finally worked.

Comment

2.2uf will be fine, Panasonic preferred, so you can use that FR you have.
                                        BTW:
                                        Without Headphones:
                                        Q1 B = +2.10V This should be -2.10V if you look real close at you meter, you will see - symbol in front of the number.
                                        Q1 E = +0.00V
                                        Q1 C = +2.93V

Q2 B = +2.93V
                                        Q2 E = +2.35V
                                        Q2 C = +14.00V
                                        Last edited by budm; 11-14-2020, 02:53 PM.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                          2.2uf will be fine, Panasonic preferred, so you can use that FR you have.
                                          BTW:
                                          Without Headphones:
                                          Q1 B = +2.10V This should be -2.10V if you look real close at you meter, you will see - symbol in front of the number.
                                          Q1 E = +0.00V
                                          Q1 C = +2.93V

Q2 B = +2.93V
                                          Q2 E = +2.35V
                                          Q2 C = +14.00V
                                          Yes, sorry, typematic error on my part. I was tapping the post from my phone. Yes, Q1 base measured -2.10V, I was writing the measured values on a piece of paper and then I retyped them here via my phone. I must have touched + instead of the - symbol as the keys are quite small and compact.

Thanks for the capacitor input. So using a double capacitance won't hurt? Will it make the transition a bit smoother, as momaka pointed out what this capacitor does?
                                          Last edited by UserXP; 11-14-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X