Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 670 identified GTX 690

Hi Guys!

I have a Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB vga and this GPU dont show picture when pc is booting.
    If I start the pc with integrated vga, windows detect this card as GTX 690 and I can install the nvidia driver. After that the GPU is working with issues.
    I tried to flashing bios to original version but nvflash got error message: PCI subsystem mismatch.
    After that I put the bios file via eeprom writer but nothing changed.

Have anybody some suggestion for this?

Re: GTX 670 identified GTX 690

That's strange, did someone expect the card to grow a second GPU if it's flashed to a 690?

Try a different version, or try forcing the flash if you haven't, I think there's a help command that will show what you need to type. People also recommended to use the DOS version of nvflash with these Kepler cards in general, if I recall.

Comment

I read in another topic (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=102811) that the reason for the incorrect recognition was a missing capacitor.
      So I was check my panel and I found one problem: C612 is broken.
      Anybody knows which is the correct value of this part?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Xan03 View Post
        That's strange, did someone expect the card to grow a second GPU if it's flashed to a 690?

Try a different version, or try forcing the flash if you haven't, I think there's a help command that will show what you need to type. People also recommended to use the DOS version of nvflash with these Kepler cards in general, if I recall.
        Thank you for your suggestion, but I think the problem is not the wrong bios, but maybe something hardware issue.

Comment

I found one more missing capacitor. This is C854.
          What should we use instead?
          Attached Files

Comment

So right now the GTX 670 card looks like a GTX 690.
            Has anybody information about motherboard GPU detection process?

And one more strange thing: I can't test with mats/mods this card.
            When I start my test PC with integrated GPU after the boot I try to start mats the PC will be freezing.
            ./mods gputest.js -skip_rm_state_init -mfg
            its OK but I got FAIL message
            ./mats -n 1 -e 1
            and the system is freezing...

Comment

I replaced the missing part and now it looks like GTX 670.
              But there is a problem, the GPUz can't see the vram. (0MB)
              And MATS crashes (freezing) when I run it with this gpu.

I think this is memory fault but I don't know which module wrong is.

Comment

I resoldered some parts and then I got image with artifacts and I run MATS.
                Can I get some help for understanding the results?
                Attached Files

Comment

For me it looks like two separate problems. One memory chip seems to be failing, the other errors not likely to be memory issues, but some general issue, eg. proper voltage supply for memory or memory controller (may be caused by partially broken vrm chip, look with a scope for the mosfet driving signals, if they are clear / rectangular, also the output of the mosfets). Would first exchange the one memory chip, and test again. Could be that the other low error number problems on the other mem chips will disappear after exchanging the mem chip. If not, the other issue could also be a partially broken or corrupted bios chip. Even if working and there is some traffic on the bios chip lines, I'd try to exchange it. I had one card with errors on all chips, and this helped. Both cases are described somewhere on this forum. Look also this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M2K...ist=LL&index=5
                  Regarding the identification of the physical mem chip you have to count the chips counterclockwise, and consider, that the chips on the PCB are always in pairs (High/...1 and Low/...0), but the first chip is the High one, and the second is the low one - exactly contrary to the sequence in the Mats table, where the first is the Low one and second the High one, the third is High again, and so on.
                  Last edited by DynaxSC; 03-09-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Correction: ...where the first is the Low one and second the High one, the third is Low again, and so on

Comment

Does GPUz still read as GTX 670? What if you check or dump the bios version with nvflash? So do I understand you correctly that you were able to write the new/original bios on it?

Comment

And: would be good if we could pinpoint the issue and make sure it's not software side (since the description you gave could very well be, I mean it sounds like one), anyway if we could make sure that it's not a software issue would be great, anyway

Here's a similar issue, maybe it could be of help, you need the schematic diagram of your 670 anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IHPBsRSLsU

Comment

Working...
                        X