This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Win7 updates for upgrading to Win10

Nice thread, thank you for sharing all of that information.

I just set up a laptop for my uncle with Windows 7 on it and was wondering if I should update it or not before giving it to him. But after reading this thread, I guess I won't. Security holes be damned!

Comment

Well that was not my intention of the thread, my intention was so you'd know which updates to skip if you don't want the free Win10 upgrade offer.
      Simply not ticking the checkbox "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" in Windows Update (it's off by default).
      Will mean that all these updates show up under the "optional updates" category:
      And thus they wont be installed without user intervention, simple as that
      Attached Files
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I finally uninstalled the Get Windows 10 update today. No way am I gonna get/run Win10. I think MS finally shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
          Well that was not my intention of the thread, my intention was so you'd know which updates to skip if you don't want the free Win10 upgrade offer.
          I know. I was just lazy and looking for yet another convenient excuse to skip updating altogether .

Only reason I replied is so that I have this thread in my email. In case I do need to make a Win 7 install in the future that needs to be updated. Like I said, really good info here.

Comment

Stickied.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Stickied.
              Good idea, my old v2.5 (xeon gallatin) rig got the "get 10". Telling the shit to right now... geez, I've only had the latest 7 install on it for only a handful of POH (a few when I set it up with new HDDs, and just now)... geez, with kittens you at least get a few weeks before you gotta fix em!

Damn you M$.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

^^FYI I don't even think that CPU can run Win8.1 or Win10; in Win 8.1 they added requirement for SSE2, PAE & NX (Intel calls it XD)
                I think that CPU lacks the latter so it's a doubly useless nag prompt in your case...

My Dell Precision 470 dual CPU Paxville machine is the same, it could run the 32bit version, but I have 16GB memory so hell no!
                The 64-bit version of Win8.1 and later requires CMPXCHG16b, LAHF/SAH and PrefetchW and my CPU lacks the latter.
                There is a patch that allows you to remove all checks in Win 8.1 except that stupid PrefetchW instruction.
                Which I understand is implemented by Intel as a no-op anyway in the processors that "claim" to support it up until quite recently when it was added in silicon...
                Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-13-2015, 04:14 AM.
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

^Yeah, it has SSE2 and for sure PAE (hell, it has 8GB of ram which I had to PAE-ramdisk to use fully)...But IIRC NX wasn't until a generation or two later (by which point intel 64 was a thing). Edit- XD came out on the Xeon Iriwindale, which was two releases later.

Stupid M$...
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 08-29-2015, 10:49 AM.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...e-just-in-case

so m$ is bending users over and telling them to grease-up!

Comment

"C:\>deltree /y"

...If we still had real mode and FAT32, that is...

That and FDISK were my two favorite ways to deal with "troublesome" IE'd and AOL'd shitboxes back in their time.
                      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                      Originally posted by shango066
                      All style and no substance.
                      Originally posted by smashstuff30
                      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post

No, those users with the non essential update boxes ticked are getting the non essential updates.

Comment

I made a fairly big update to the OP about the process of removing the older updates.
                          I just want to also state that I don't believe The Inquirer's article one bit, even if they claim to quote a "Microsoft employee".
                          They are well known as a shady news site and all I can say is that until I see this with my own eyes I will not believe it.
                          Case in point: ask anyone that has the Chrome toolbar for IE or whatever other crap on their PC's and they will always claim that "Well I did not install it"
                          Yea right, I'm sure your computer installed it all by itself...

I have removed the updates from several PC's now and none of them had started to pre-download the install.esd file for Windows 10 by itself.

P.S: If you needed any more proof that Win10 is a phone OS look no further then this which I caught from the "Get Windows 10" app for Win7:
                          Code:
                          C:\Windows\System32\GWX\DownloadSwap\server.txt:
                          http://cmsresources.[COLOR="Red"][B]windowsphone[/B][/COLOR].com/gwxapp
                          Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-13-2015, 04:18 AM.

Comment

we will know if 7 and 8 are downloading the 10 files into a hidden folder soon enough, there are no shortage of people with 7 & 8.

Comment

we will know if 7 and 8 are downloading the 10 files into a hidden folder soon enough, there are no shortage of people with 7 & 8.
                              Apparently so according to the folks on the forum at www.msfn.org

Comment

persistant bitches!
                                http://news.softpedia.com/news/micro...n-494236.shtml

Comment

Interestingly i have KB3083710 show up in my updates, none of the others have though and i doubt they will as i don't have the "recommended updates" box ticked.

And no secret hidden Windows 10 download folder for me either.
                                  Last edited by diif; 10-13-2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

MS really wants to y'all.
                                    What's next, an exploit for those running OS's with AU disabled, so that they can install updates via a backdoor/Trojan? If that day comes, my browsing online will then only happen through a Linux box. Everything else would be off-line.

Comment

I've added KB3083710 to the OP, I see no reason not to install it; please adjust your tinfoil hats
                                      Microsoft updated KB2952664 to revision 14 a few days ago.
                                      When they did the update was actually listed twice by Windows update but that appears to have been fixed this afternoon.
                                      They also revised update KB3035583 so it's now at revision 2.

As I've mentioned before when Microsoft releases a new revision to an update which you had formerly hidden it will show up for download again.
                                      So that applies to those updates, but as long as you don't have "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" enabled that is not a problem.
                                      Because then recommended optional updates will not be installed anyway.

Comment

until they say they are "important" because it's clearly important to them!

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10...hy_windows_10/

I feel like having the Windows 10 upgrade checked by default might not have been a mistake.

The options to disable the Windows 10 upgrade shown here don't appear to exist in Windows 7 Home Premium. Is this correct?
                                          Last edited by lti; 10-16-2015, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X