X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    Cheap rummage sale find....I'm normally not a yard sale guy....but when driving by and I spot this:

Yea, I stop!! It lights up and appears to work. I haven't fed it a signal yet though. It's all there and intact. One knob missing.
    Let see if you can rival shango066 and do a recap and repair video on youtube.
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
      Philco Predicta. Those are PITA's to service.
      It's not my first one....not the easiest, not the worst.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Scored a free PC with interesting specs:

PSU: Torrent LC-8400BTX - kinda weird considering board doesn't have SATA
        Mobo: MSI 845 Pro - Socket 423!!!!!!
        CPU: unknown, probably a Pentium 4, since IIRC no Celerons were made on 423.
        GPU: ATI Rage XL 8MB PCI
        RAM: 128MB SD-RAM PC133
        HDD: Seagate-rebranded 80GB Maxtor
        ODD: Liteon DVD-RW
        Case: cheap as hell Deer casing with only one side panel removable, but at least the only redeemable thing is it's glossy and it's black. Doesn't look too bad either.

I'll come up with any findings later, since first I have to recap the board - MSI was absolutely dumb enough to use Rubycons for CPU caps and el cheapo Teapo everywhere else, not to mention a few G-Luxons thrown in the mix. It's going to be a interesting machine once I get it up and running.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Given a LG 55" TV (55LE5400-UC) with the classic cracked solder under the processor on the main board. I did the oven reflow on it, which woke the backlight up, but it didn't cure it... I buzzed it again with a heat gun, which finished it off....well poo.... I never saw the need to invest in reballing/reflowing equipment....so now the hunt is on for a mainboard for it. Too nice to junk, but still not worth much.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Given a LG 55" TV (55LE5400-UC) with the classic cracked solder under the processor on the main board. I did the oven reflow on it, which woke the backlight up, but it didn't cure it... I buzzed it again with a heat gun, which finished it off....well poo.... I never saw the need to invest in reballing/reflowing equipment....so now the hunt is on for a mainboard for it. Too nice to junk, but still not worth much.
            Looks like I didn't kill the board. I poked at it again, and it just rang out TCON issue (would light up, but gibberish & lines on the screen)....upon further digging, it appears something was spilled down the screen (appeared to be soda). It corroded & destroyed the tab bonds, the panel is toast. That sucks....but atleast I had nothing in it.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Six Lenovo ThinkCenter M92p (2.6G i3, 500G, 16GB). I'll pull the disks and run them diskless.

Three Moto Droid Maxx 2. Unsure as to how much "memory" they'll support (and if they'll support microSD's) so they may end up going back to the tip...

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post
                Six Lenovo ThinkCenter M92p (2.6G i3, 500G, 16GB). I'll pull the disks and run them diskless.

Three Moto Droid Maxx 2. Unsure as to how much "memory" they'll support (and if they'll support microSD's) so they may end up going back to the tip...
                https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_maxx_2-7712.php

Nice score on the Motos!
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Got a free 55" TV! Samsung LN55B650T1F, kinda old, but it works. 4 HDMI ports, so it's good enough for me!

I moved my current TV (a 32" Samsung Smart TV) to my desk and am using that as my main computer monitor, and now I'm making space for the 55" TV where the 32" was before... easier said that done when you live in one room and you have a ton of stuff.

Currently the 55-incher is living at work. In other news, my mini-fridge died after several years of faithful service so at least I reclaimed a little space there.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    ... easier said that done when you live in one room and you have a ton of stuff.
                    Get/make some ~30U racks and set your bed atop them. You'll have plenty of room for a desk/work area underneath and can install shelves in the racks (assuming you don't have any rack-mountable kit, already).

In other news, my mini-fridge died after several years of faithful service so at least I reclaimed a little space there.
                    <grin> Isn't it a sort-of "sick" feeling when you actually are GLAD something is irreparably broken and you can be rid of it??!

Comment

Random bag of ram for $5, Had a few good ones in it, 6 4gb ddr2 sodimm (rare) and 12 1gb ddr1 400 (nice for old stuff) the rest wasnt impressive but hey for $5 i cant conplain.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                        4gb ddr2 sodimm (rare)
                        yea those sell decently on junkbay for 20-25 bucks a stick. in contrast 2x2gb ddr2 sodimms only sell for 5-8 bucks a pair. why does brethin get all the good stuff?! lol!

Comment

^
                          I have an AIO that could use a pair of them too....I just wasn't spending $50 bucks on it.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

so strike a deal.

Comment

Great free scores!

WD Caviar 2250 - dead sadly - spins up but won't seek

WD Caviar 1210 - working - spins up okay, just won't boot (probably been used as slave drive)

Hercules 3D Prophet Radeon 9700 Pro - working - just needs a new fan as the one it uses is some cheap aftermarket Titan cooler - shame as it looks really cool

EPoX EP-3VCM w/ P3 1GHz - needs a recap, filled with crap GSCs already bulging - surprisingly it POST'd!

ECS G31T-M2 w/ Q6600 2.4GHz - cool score although the board isn't anything special

Gigabyte Radeon X300 128MB PCI-E - working - useful as test GPU for boards

Gravis Gamepad - untested, a nice controller to have!

Chaintech (?) Geforce2 MX200 - untested
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

just a Gforce2?
                                a lot of those had 2 outputs or vga and a tv output or even a tv-tuner combined with them.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  just a Gforce2?
                                  a lot of those had 2 outputs or vga and a tv output or even a tv-tuner combined with them.
                                  Yeah, and it's the most plain GF2 I've seen. Only a VGA port, nothing else.

I do have a Radeon 9000 somewhere that I have to solder a broken cap from RAM back on. That thing is the AIW variant and has a integrated TV Tuner. Haven't got around testing the tuner section though I'd love to, and even more under Win2k Pro.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

^
                                    I have an AIO that could use a pair of them too....I just wasn't spending $50 bucks on it.
                                    Ditto... I have two laptops and an iMac (at church) in that category. 8GB (6GB for the iMac) would be nice... but not $$$ nice.
                                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Another 15-slot DAS and a boatload of DDR3 Ram. Plus, a pair of old iPads. And a pair of Smart-UPS 750's.
                                      Last edited by Curious.George; 07-22-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

A 4 drive DAS with miniSAS interface. Haven't yet determined if
                                        the backplane accommodates SAS/SATA or if it's just SATA (as
                                        would be apparent by the 4 2T SATA drives presently stuffed in it)

And a pair of Dell 3007's (folks just don't seem to understand them
                                        so they find their way to the bin pretty often -- despite working!).
                                        Hard to resist as freebies!

Comment

Saved a Sony CDP-550 made in December 1987 from getting hurled into a dumpster at the 11th hour and 59th minute. Spotted it on a trailer of garbage getting thrown out, asked if I could have it, they said sure.

Had a Soundgarden CD in it, which plays fine. Lubricated the mechanical components and had to roughen up the tray belt so it would grip. Need to order one of those soon. Otherwise, just needs a general cosmetic cleanup and it'll be good as new!
                                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X