No announcement yet.

Any more info on counterfeit Nichicons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any more info on counterfeit Nichicons?

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    ... However, note the green-sleeved Chemicon KZE 10V, 2200 uF caps above. UCC used green sleeves on the KZE series very early in their production years. ...
    The KZE series caps I tested in 2005 while at Curtis Instruments had green sleeves. Your memory of the time frame is correct. IIRC, KZE series parts I tested later (2005-2008 and part of January 2009) had the usual Chemicon-brown sleeving.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

recent finds.
      high probability of counterfeits.
      Attached Files

Comment

I've not seen Nichicon caps with concentric circle bungs. The PT series is a higher voltage series, IIRC, so it might be different. Their usual bung is designed to permit flux cleaning agents to flow through, so I doubt Nichicon would use the concentric circle style of bung.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I have some Nichicon PT caps pulled from a Nichicon-built PS3 PSU... but unfortunately, I don't have those caps where I am right now. Can check in a few months... though if memory serves me right, the genuine PT did have proper bungs typical for Nichicon and not the concentric style bung. So yeah... those could be fake indeed. The sleeve looks fairly good, though. Maybe re-sleeved with ones from real Nichicon PT caps? But then, that begs the question: who / which sweat shop would be dumb enough to scrap real Nichicon PT caps only for their sleeves and put it on some low quality garbage?

Personally, I'd rather re-use an old Japanese GP cap any day than a re-sleeved no-name garbage.

BTW, good to see you here KC8ADU!

Comment

they dont use the old sleeves,
            you cab buy reels of sleeve for fake caps and 18650's on aliexpress.
            all you need is scissors and a heat gun

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
              I've not seen Nichicon caps with concentric circle bungs. The PT series is a higher voltage series, IIRC, so it might be different. Their usual bung is designed to permit flux cleaning agents to flow through, so I doubt Nichicon would use the concentric circle style of bung.
              I have some here, I actually bought them on eBay but they don't have the cheap bung so you can be sure the ones posted by kc8adu are fake...
              Attached Files
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                I have some here, I actually bought them on eBay but they don't have the cheap bung so you can be sure the ones posted by kc8adu are fake...
                Since the style of bung Nichicon uses has an intended function, I couldn't see a reason they would not use it. I miss the days when counterfeits were obvious because the sleeve was the wrong color or the font was wrong or the things smelled like rotting fish.
                PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  the concentric style bung
                  maybe someone has seen which capacitors brand have such a bottom with circles ?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by AleXis6; 09-13-2023, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AleXis6 View Post
                    maybe someone has seen which capacitors brand have such a bottom with circles ?
                    AiSHi has that type of bung, although they have an NCC-style vent.

Comment

here are the replacements from digikey.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X