Mom got me a new laptop for xmas, it is infected with Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom got me a new laptop for xmas, it is infected with Windows 8

Ok I'm not complaining too much, I mean it is a free laptop, but it was Windows 8 which from the brief amount of time I have been using it it is the biggest ass backwards ugly UI flaming hunk of shit operating system I have ever seen. Fuck I can't even tell how to shut the damn thing down! And if it were not for someone posting the Alt or windows whatever key + R I don't think I would have known about the desktop. And OMG is it ugly! Fuck, it almost looks to me like it was designed by a bunch of metrosexual yuppies for parents who don't want their 8 year-old kids to become overstimulated. I want my fucking Aero back goddammit!

I'm going to give it a week. If I still don't like it by the end, it is getting an SSD and going back to Windows 7 Pro.

Re: Mom got me a new laptop for xmas, it is infected with Windows 8

ctrl-shift-escape

you'll love that, but other than that, windows 8 is shit.

Comment

I totally agree. Windows 8 is sooooo much uglier than 7/vista. Same goes for Office 2013 - it is also much uglier than office 2007 and 2010.

I also can't stand the fact that there is no longer an F8 startup menu. The only way to get to it is to hold in shift when you click on restart, but that is the stupidest idea ever, because you can't do that if the PC won't boot.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
        I also can't stand the fact that there is no longer an F8 startup menu. The only way to get to it is to hold in shift when you click on restart, but that is the stupidest idea ever, because you can't do that if the PC won't boot.
        Been there done that. I know i had the hardest time ever getting a Windows 8 install that did not boot due to some failed updates to roll them back, but i know i got it to fix itself somehow.

Edit: Oh yes there is a safe mode, but it's kinda buried: http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/
        Short version: It's now shift+f8 just before it starts booting and then going thru half a dozen menus.
        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 11-30-2013, 10:26 PM.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Well I got all 70 something preliminary updates done now I'm working on getting 8.1, a start menu app (whoever came up with start8 is probably a rich bastard about right now, they could get $10 out of that app easy I imagine) and will try and cobble together some fake Aero effects.

I swear this OS is buggy as hell. Had trouble getting it to connect to my Wifi setup (with security disabled of all things) along with minor random issues installing firefox, flash, and a few other odds and ends. All in all things work, but some minor bells and whistles here and there are missing.

Metro blows. Give me start menu!
          Last edited by Evil Lurker; 12-01-2013, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Microsoft behave like children in a playground building a fabulous sandcastle and when it´s finished they mess everything up, destroy it and rebuild it from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
              ... it is infected with Windows 8 ...
              Kill it with fire before it lays eggs!

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
                Well I got all 70 something preliminary updates done now I'm working on getting 8.1, a start menu app (whoever came up with start8 is probably a rich bastard about right now, they could get $10 out of that app easy I imagine) and will try and cobble together some fake Aero effects.
                I like Startisback better. $3 for a license for two computers! And feels faster too.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

and they do say mums know best,

Comment

Why is everyone so upset about losing Aero effects?

Also, why does Microsoft have to make things so hard? Useful features keep getting renamed and buried under dozens of menus and "advanced settings" in control panel items.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                        Why is everyone so upset about losing Aero effects?
                        Because it's the only reason 7 is better than XP.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          I like Startisback better. $3 for a license for two computers! And feels faster too.
                          Classic Shell:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

It's free, and you can choose to have either a windows XP or a Vista/7 start menu. It also can disable all the stupid "active corners" bullshit.

Comment

Really MS should have built a version for the PC market and another for touch devices,win 8 or 8.1 failed twice on me so badly i had no choice but to wipe the drive so im on win 7 again ,

Comment

Originally posted by onex View Post
                              Really MS should have built a version for the PC market and another for touch devices,win 8 or 8.1 failed twice on me so badly i had no choice but to wipe the drive so im on win 7 again ,
                              I totally agree, tablets and laptops don't mix.

I have heard horror stories about win8 being buggy...

I LOVE win XP and 7, never had any problems with them!!!
                              Vistatrash on the other hand...
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Slowly but surely moving my way towards Linux...
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

I don't get why Windows 8 is hated on so much, it's basically Windows 7 with the start button replaced with the tile interface. I got used to it very fast coming from Windows 7. It seems more designed for a tablet or smart phone, but it still works
                                  Some people just can't take a joke...
                                  But Powmax power supplies? That's a joke everyone can take.

sigpic

Comment

LOL i prefer windows xp or an unix system

Comment

because this is a nerdland and others don`t understand.
                                      everybody else will say "i saw that everybody its using W8; i want that to"

Q:"Kill it with fire before it lays eggs!" it already happen
                                      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

I like Windows 8, does everything I need and it runs faster than win 7 on a core 2 duo. It doesn't seem to crash as much as XP either.
                                        Agent24, try using Ubuntu first up, I have spent quite a few years playing with Linux. My first install was RedHat 5.2 and I have just removed Ubuntu from my desktop. Don't seem to use it so much these days, noe that I am teaching!
                                        Ubuntu is an easy install and set up but with all the good bits under the hood when you want to go looking for them. It is still very powerful on the command line
                                        I like Windows 8, can't understand why everyone hates it, maybe because it is different to drive perhaps. I am used to that, I have used Linux

Comment

Working...
                                        X