Computer Geek

City & State: Insanely Hot Texas
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120/2/[email protected]
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Default Re: How To Stop CRT Flicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccerr0r View Post
Things are so much easier in Linux nowadays with EDID and VESA standardization... before these standards, getting those modeline numbers took a bit of work, and even worse if you didn't have the data for your monitor to compute the modelines...

... and there was also the risk of making the magic smoke leak out of your monitor if you got the modeline numbers a bit wrong...
Especially if it was one of the el-cheapo ones that just *accepted* whatever it was given without checking to see if it was a valid signal that was in range, an out of range signal, or even a toaster. I've read quite a bit of stories about the horizontal section blowing up in monitors when too high of a horizontal refresh rate was fed into it.

Higher refresh rate = higher frequency on flyback = higher B+ and related voltage rails = closer to finding the weak link

For computer parts, go to Newegg
OR
Amazon.

For electrical stuff(pushbuttons, capacitors, etc), use Digikey
OR
Mouser.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Windows 10!? Oh yeah, that sorry excuse of an operating system that spies on you 24/7/365!

Samsung = Seagate = Seatrash = Trashgate
Don't buy Seagate drives. Don't use Seagate drives. If you have any in service right now, make plans to replace them ASAP.

TVs repaired: Toshiba 32AV500U
Stereo Receivers brought back to life: 1(Fisher RS-1056)
Stereos/Stereo receivers to recap: Fisher RS-1056

Last edited by TechGeek; 12-16-2019 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: L7C34 +even
TechGeek is offline   Reply With Quote