X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by RukyCon View Post
    The design looks very similar to a Coolmax 600w PSU i picked up a while ago and have been meaning to post here for just as long, even though i have everything i want to say about it written down, the only reason i haven't put a post together yet is because i wanted to remove a couple of parts to get a look at their part#.
    Coolmax uses (or at least use to, been about 10 years since I got into one,) Yuelin. The seemingly now defunct Broadway Comm Corp also used them.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
      I've got a decently build AT PSU:

SP2-425F EMACS.
      Has an automatic input voltage selection circuit.
      Very decent EMI input filtering.
      Input buffer capacitors are Rubycon USR 680uF.
      Half bridge switching two 2SC2625 NPNs.
      Center tapped 44 size main transformer.
      Some of the output capacitors are swollen, all PCE-TUR .
      TL494 PWM for primary switching.
      LM339 in the secondary for protection and voltage supervision.
      Lots and lenghty peripheral conectors. AWG 18 wiring.

I haven't a clue who is the OEM. 1999 date code on the pcb.
      Emacs rolls their own and they are usually quite good quality workstation/server grade units.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
        Coolmax uses (or at least use to, been about 10 years since I got into one,) Yuelin. The seemingly now defunct Broadway Comm Corp also used them.
        Yuelin? I always thought their units ranged between Sun Pro's AT-2005B and ATNG units.
        Main rig:
        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
        Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
        16GB DDR3-1600
        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
        FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
        120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Yuelin aren't the worst units I have seen. I would put them below sunpro, though.

Comment

NPS-330CB L Revision 01 (330W maximum) manufactured by Newton Power, made in Thailand during the fifteenth week of 2003. In accordance to the label, +5V is rated for 28A, +12V rated for 18A, +3.3V rated for 18A, -12V rated for 1A, and +5VSB rated for 2A. No combined rating for the +5V and +3.3V rating is given on the label, but it should be less than 200W combined going by the +5V and +3.3V ratings alone. Internally, there is a 30mm diameter 330uF 450V Nichicon LU primary filtering capacitor. The transient filtering stage features four Y capacitors, two X capacitors, three coils including the APFC filtering coil, an NTC thermistor, a single MOV, etc. The topology appears to be double forward topology.

There appears to be two IRFP450LCs as the main switchers and APFC transistors, and a STVA806D as the APFC rectifier. KBU 8K (8A/800V) on a heatsink is the bridge rectifier. The fuse appears to be a high breakage capacity type, although I couldn’t determine the actual rating or whether it was a slow or fast blow type as it wasn’t visible on the fuse or on the PCB. LM324N appears to be the primary side controller, with a typical freestanding IRFBC20 being the +5VSB primary side switcher. The main transformer is 35mm wide and the standby transformer 16mm wide. Four optocouplers are also present manufactured by Vishay. The secondary side has a TSM1002DS supervisor chip and two LM324N quad comparators.

A 10mm 2200uF 10V Nichicon PW with a 470uF 10V Rubycon YXG after the coil filters the +5VSB output. A 12.5mm 3300uF 10V Rubycon YXG before and after the coil filters +3.3V, with the same arrangement for +5V except another 10mm 1500uF 10V Nichicon PW after the coil. -12V has one 10mm 1000uF 16V Rubycon YXG before the linear regulator and one 8mm 470uF 16V Nichicon PW after it. +12V has one 10mm 1500uF 16V Chemi-con KY and another Rubycon YXG of the same values and dimensions in parallel, and shunt for overcurrent protection. Some of the tiny capacitors look to be LTEC TK. The secondary side rectifiers are one STPS3045CW for +3.3V, one L7912CV for linear regulating -12V, two MBR3045PTs (one on the high side and low side) for +5V, and two STPR1620CTs for +12V (one on the high side and one on the low side). The underside obviously looks pristine in terms of soldering quality. Both the primary and secondary side daughter boards and input sister boards appear to use the phenolic FR1 or FR2 PCB material (and both daughter boards have SMD components on them) while the main PCB appears to use a more expensive fiberglass epoxy material (FR4?) with clearly no SMD components on the underside. The fan is a Nidec D08T-12PU ball bearing fan rated for 3400RPM, 44CFM, and 34DBA, and is surprisingly quiet for the amount of air it pushes at the speed it spins. The heatsinks are obviously massive in both surface area and base thickness. Both the +5V and +3.3V output toroids seem to use -52 material, with the +5V toroid probably being T130-52 in particular.

The output wires appear to be a somewhat proprietary “24-pin” affair on the main connector, with all wires being 18 gauge except the +3.3V wires which are 16 gauge and the floppy wires which are 22 gauge. There are five molex, one floppy connector, two SATA with an adapter, one ATX 12V, and one main ATX connector, all manufactured by Unicab. The ventilation is ample with a honeycomb grille. All in all, the unit is internally quite similar to the NPS-250DB previously posted here, but a bit “upgraded” as it’s a higher wattage supply.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Wester547; 09-22-2023, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdavid View Post
              I've got a decently build AT PSU:

SP2-425F EMACS.
              I haven't a clue who is the OEM. 1999 date code on the pcb.
              That's a very nice PSU, and not just for an AT PSU. Sure it's an old half-bridge platform, but it's built properly, unlike 99.9% of the cheap bargain units that use this topology. I bet it would do rated label power and then some more (probably 250-270 Watts.) The primary transistors and main transformer for sure shouldn't have any issue with that. And even the output caps would give very quiet output, if they were still good.

Definitely worth a recap for an old AT system.

BTW, OEM for EMACS is EMACS - that is, they make their own PSUs... and from reading threads / articles back in the day (early 2000's), they were always nice units and never compromised on quality (well, caps aside, but which PSU manufacturer didn't dabble with that.)

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
              No-name special

Why is it special? The insides shall tell you everything.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1694972597
              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1694972597

No case swap involved, that is really how I found it, in a rather nice MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R + NX6600GT AGP custom build.

FWIW, according to the fuse chart, this thing is realistically just 50W short of its rated power. Not bad, unlike most china specials I've had to work with.
              Happy for you, as this is a nice change from the usual Deers and Sun Pro's you get.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
              NPS-330CB L Revision 01 (330W maximum) manufactured by Newton Power, made in Thailand during the fifteenth week of 2003.
              Exceptionally well-built PSU! Nothing else to say, really.

BTW, are you sure the main connector uses proprietary pinout? Looks like a standard 20-pin ATX connector to me.

Comment

You are right, in my rush to post the PSU I mistook it for the earlier versions (made for the Dell Dimension 8100 or Optiplex GX400) which did use a proprietary pinout and/or a 24-pin connector. This unit uses a standard 20-pin connector and an unusual “Dell” ATX housing.

Comment

Working...
                X