Let's talk about BGA Chip suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's talk about BGA Chip suppliers

just got another order from goldenchipset. i needed a stencil the most for a notebook with intel n2840 cpu that has cpu nb sb all in one.

after put balls on stencil, i use hot air and balls melted, but noticed something strange.. some balls didnt go down perfectly. i lifted stencil to see what was going on and as my surprice, of all the balls, just 4-5 well ok, but 3-4 balls ripped off pads on bga, and all other balls stayed in the hole of stencil.

now bga is gone and gc want to resent stencil for free, but to use on what bga ?

here is a video that proove that stencil was 100% bad...

stencil is qf9ees.https://youtu.be/8f7FoKBBZdg

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
      just got another order from goldenchipset. i needed a stencil the most for a notebook with intel n2840 cpu that has cpu nb sb all in one.

after put balls on stencil, i use hot air and balls melted, but noticed something strange.. some balls didnt go down perfectly. i lifted stencil to see what was going on and as my surprice, of all the balls, just 4-5 well ok, but 3-4 balls ripped off pads on bga, and all other balls stayed in the hole of stencil.

now bga is gone and gc want to resent stencil for free, but to use on what bga ?

here is a video that proove that stencil was 100% bad...

stencil is qf9ees.https://youtu.be/8f7FoKBBZdg
      New gen cpu stencils are pain in the butt, they don't make them like before, once I ordered a 80x80 SR173 chip stencil from an aliexpress seller, received a 80x80 so-called stencil with a huge hole in the middle lol
      they resent me a good one later tho

Comment

Here is some more work done with chips from SEE-IC. These have been done a while ago but hadn't gotten around to posting them.

First up is a HP 625. I replaced the Northbridge chip just to check the quality of the chips that SEE-IC sent me, as I got the "Bulk disassemble" parts. The board originally had a BIOS issue, the northbridge was fine, also there were no signs of reflow on the original chip. I re-used the northbridge I pulled from this one to fix a G62 board, and that worked fine, too.
        Attached Files
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

The second one is an ASUS X552CL, nVidia GPU had code 43 in device manager, reflow did not change anything. This chip I bought brand new as it was very cheap. With the new chip everything worked fine, did not even have to reinstall drivers. Have already sold the laptop last month.
          Attached Files
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

And here is a Macbook Pro 2011. Replacement chip sold as "bulk".
            Attached Files

Comment

really good work the unique!!

i have few questions:
              i have bought chips from different store.

one chip from goldenchipset: n13p-gt-a2 buy it new for 50 $. notebook give a error on bga, after solder that new one (after reballed ) i got an error 43 if i try to install driver manually from device manager, while if i install from nvidia procedure, it all seems fine except when it get to the end of installation, display freeze. when rebook display become black after the windows loading logo.

second i got a bga refurbished always from goldenchipset, and they told me he already got leaded balls, so used my profile to solder it, but first time it give me a white screen. after a second reflow notebook give me a black screen.

they used different balls (maybe 60-40 instead of 63-37) and i need more heat to solder properly, or bga is defective ?

its an intel n2840 all in one bga (nb sb cpu vga).

there are bga that works just fine after replace , and some others just give me black screen or doesnt work well.

in addition, the stencil goldenchipset sent me was defective and i damaged original bga when reballing. they just sent me a new stencil (1.2$), but my bga was damaged and got this refurbished one for 19 dollars plus 17 for shipping plus paypal commission for a total of 37$ for a non working bga atm....

edit: how do u place bga on non marked pcb like macbooks ?
              Last edited by dellxps15; 07-23-2018, 02:47 AM.

Comment

really good work the unique!!
                Just remembered: I have also undervolted the HP 625, will search thru my notes and skype for the resistor value, i was able to lower the core voltage of the NB to 0.93V (IIRC) maintaining perfect stability.

n13p-gt-a2 buy it new for 50 $. notebook give a error on bga, after solder that new one (after reballed ) i got an error 43 if i try to install driver manually from device manager, while if i install from nvidia procedure, it all seems fine except when it get to the end of installation, display freeze. when rebook display become black after the windows loading logo.
                You got sent a damaged chip.

second i got a bga refurbished always from goldenchipset, and they told me he already got leaded balls, so used my profile to solder it, but first time it give me a white screen. after a second reflow notebook give me a black screen.

they used different balls (maybe 60-40 instead of 63-37) and i need more heat to solder properly, or bga is defective ?
                BGA is definitely defective at this point. 60/40 and 63/37 are not too different in melting point, it should have soldered fine. But you might have been sent a lead-free chip, most of the refurbished chips I have bought used lead-free solder, likely so unscrupulous sellers can pass them for new ones.

Easy way to figure out the solder type is to shine a bright light onto the balls, lead-free has a matte texture while leaded solder will be shiny.

in addition, the stencil goldenchipset sent me was defective and i damaged original bga when reballing. they just sent me a new stencil (1.2$), but my bga was damaged and got this refurbished one for 19 dollars plus 17 for shipping plus paypal commission for a total of 37$ for a non working bga atm....
                Ouch, that sucks. I have read some negative reports about goldenchipset but none that bad... I've had a $200+ order sitting in my cart for a few months now, guess i'll take my business elsewhere.

edit: how do u place bga on non marked pcb like macbooks ?
                I take several "before" photos, to have a reference. I compare the chip's distance to the parts around it to what I see in the photo. I also use a flashlight and shine it from the sides to see if there are pads sticking out. And, you're going to laugh here. On this one, what gave me 100% confidence of a good alignment were the scratches that i had made with my tweezers while removing the epoxy in the corners of the BGA. They were so accurate that i'm thinking of intentionally making the scratches next time, so they are more clear.

Comment

something strange on that chip new from golden chipset.. soldered and working but how could that mistake be possible
                  That screams a scam artist!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    Just remembered: I have also undervolted the HP 625, will search thru my notes and skype for the resistor value, i was able to lower the core voltage of the NB to 0.93V (IIRC) maintaining perfect stability.

You got sent a damaged chip.

BGA is definitely defective at this point. 60/40 and 63/37 are not too different in melting point, it should have soldered fine. But you might have been sent a lead-free chip, most of the refurbished chips I have bought used lead-free solder, likely so unscrupulous sellers can pass them for new ones.

Easy way to figure out the solder type is to shine a bright light onto the balls, lead-free has a matte texture while leaded solder will be shiny.

Ouch, that sucks. I have read some negative reports about goldenchipset but none that bad... I've had a $200+ order sitting in my cart for a few months now, guess i'll take my business elsewhere.

I take several "before" photos, to have a reference. I compare the chip's distance to the parts around it to what I see in the photo. I also use a flashlight and shine it from the sides to see if there are pads sticking out. And, you're going to laugh here. On this one, what gave me 100% confidence of a good alignment were the scratches that i had made with my tweezers while removing the epoxy in the corners of the BGA. They were so accurate that i'm thinking of intentionally making the scratches next time, so they are more clear.
                    i think about that too, but scratch pcb with tweezer can damage tracks...

about the refurbished bga, they told me it got leaded balls. generally i solder leaded bga with a temperature setpoint of 200° and watching the bga, it start getting down at about 193° so i set temperature to shut off bga machine at 200°.
                    on that bga i did same profile, and bga dont move so it must be soldered....if it was a lead free, it should have not melted the balls and bga should not have attached to pcb right ?

Comment

If it were lead free, it may have melted a little bit but it definitely would not have attached to the board properly. If it sat down on the board at 193C then it was leaded solder, indeed.

Comment

Still worrying that goldenchipset has a 99.0% positive feedback on eBay and 99.2% on Aliexpress. Oh well…

Btw I just received an EC chip (Nuvoton NPCE285GA0DX) from see-ic sold as new when it is obviously used. The leads weren't even cleaned properly (solder bridges) and one on the edge was bent.
                        Cleaned it up, straightened the pin and thankfully it works and the laptop is fixed. Worrying too that this was sold as new and not used or refurbished (well… wasn't even refurbished properly).
                        https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NPCE285...C/173364743798
                        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

You should contact SEE directly and tell them about it, maybe they got some bad stock. I have had zero issues with them so far.

Comment

Hello,
                            I used to order chips from SEE IC and always worked fine...Last time i ordered two northbrige chips, 216 0752001, both chips were short circuit. I did not change nothing as lon as the temperature and soldering procedure... Do you know something about this? Does this happend to any other guy? Thanks in advance

Comment

Ordered a couple, will receive them in coming weeks. I'll report here if I don't forget.
                              I had one from a Spanish seller that was short.

Comment

Ok so here we have a bunch of chips from see-ic.
                                The G84-603-A2 are crap. Black underfill, laser etched part number and they didn't work. Chime loop and no video on MBP 17" 2007/15" 2008
                                The 216-0752001 is good, HP 6545b back up and running fine.
                                The 216-0674026 is not shorted but the motherboard doesn't turn on. Maybe something else is wrong.

I didn't try the other but here are my observations: G86-770-A2 has white underfill, seems like an original new chip.
                                The NF-G6150-N-A2 are datecode 2009 but they have black underfill. Dunno if NVidia still produced those in 2009 with the bad underfill though (not the case for the G84 and G86 for sure).
                                The MCP67M-A2 doesn't have a fixed revision AFAIK, so black underfill is normal. Let's hope this is a new chip anyway and it will last at least a few years…

216-0809000 was a "refurbished" datecode 2017. Dunno if it's any good, probably not. Tried a 216-0809000 datecode 1607 from goldenchipset and it was crap (no internal display, garbage on external VGA). My stencil from oycc-ic is garbage and I've a hard time reballing those so I'm gonna order another one first.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Over the years, I bought some bga chips and I was not satisfied.
                                  I understood, by doing research, that there are no more honest sellers than others.
                                  This because there are no low cost and fast methods to test this type of chip. I prefer to buy non-working motherboards, even if I do not need them, to have a stock of the main chips, especially cpu.
                                  I can do this because I have a small business.
                                  A friend of mine, who works very high quantities; uses very expensive sockets to test the chips before welding.
                                  "If I have to buy bga chips, I ask these questions first to see if they are really new:
                                  If I buy more than one bga of the same type, is it possible to have them in the original package without dividing them? have the same datacode and progressive serial number?
                                  Is there a possibility to change them if they have not been soldered ? "
                                  In most cases, sellers are not able to provide chips under these conditions.
                                  I tried to buy in other countries, Spain, UK, but all the chips come from China and that is the reference market.
                                  However, I don't immediately solder the bga, I first inspect them under a microscope to see if there are signs of reworking and with a multimeter I check the main signals, if I detect a strage value or a short I ask for a refund that usually the seller accepts.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately for GPU you don't have this possibility. When you get a failed NVidia or AMD GPU, it has been properly cleaned and reballed and remarked (with newer datecodes for example). They very rarely fail short, and they often resurrect for a small amount of time when heated a lot. So you get a chip that you think is new, but it's an old failed reballed chip. You solder it on, it works for a couple of weeks then fail again.
                                    Only way to not get scammed is to know the signs of "refurbished" chips, but sometimes they are very hard to detect, and buy from a trusted seller (well… none of them are). When inspecting under microscope, if you see some marks especially scratches around capacitors (seller probing them to find shorts, because they know people will check and fill a claim), or if the substrate color is off, or if the balls are not consistent, markings on the die not looking new, different datecodes in the same spool, etc… you know that it's a bad chip. But even then some are very well done.

Comment

I thought I would ask. If not allowed please ignore/delete. I am looking for a stencil for a Panasonic MN2WS0270PB to reball or a same chip to buy if re-balling would not help. So far no luck on eBay or aliexpress. Would someone know of different sources? Thanks.

Comment

I try to buy directly from manifacture (intel-kinix) an intel CM236.
                                        The price is very hight compared from usual chinese market (25 USD for new and very strange 22 for used USD).
                                        To be honest, I would never spend such a high price, but in this case it is an Asus Rog and a use motherboard with a three monts warranty costs about 470 USD, (in China but I know very well the vendor so a return is not aproblem) so I would like to be sure that the chip is working, if it goes wrong it is only my fault but perhaps an attempt should be made
                                        Attached Files

Comment

I bought this chip on ebay from a German seller. The cost is 25 euros.
                                          As you can see from the photos it looks new or reworked very well. The only doubt is the color of the border, perhaps too yellow and dark.
                                          I solder it and see if it works.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X