X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

toshiba satellite a105.
    free with busted screen.pulled screen from a spill damaged compaq and transplanted it.
    iirc this can take a mobile dualcore.
    i have a few so upgrade time.

Comment

I got two IBM ThinkPad T40's, I was asked to fix them but when I told owner what was bad he told me to just scrap them...
      They are Pentium-M 1.5Ghz with 256MB DDR RAM, system supports max 2GB according to Google

On both of them the 40GB IDE harddrive has bit the dust
      One of them has a busted keyboard, I spoke with the owner and he said it worked fine when he used it last, so thought it was strange
      The keys that are broken form a pattern on the keyboard, anyone get an idea? (already reseated connector on mobo)
      Code:
       YU
       HJ
        NM
      I'm really happy for this, I've always wanted a laptop but never wanted to buy one, and I especially wanted a nice one like these, and not a crappy flimsy Acer plastic toy...
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 09-18-2009, 02:23 PM.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Corroded thru or broken trace in the keyboard circuit (flex circuit). Replace keyboard.

Note this is set up as grid with contacts at the crossing points.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

ifr 1200s service monitor.$50 at the hamfest last weekend.label said"some sort of funny scope"
          works fine and dead on calibration too.
          bunch of mullard 6ca7/el34 tubes.free from the trash barrel.all good.
          several 2m mobile rigs with simple problems.$5-10 ea.a friend who came along got a ft-5100 for $15.needs the crack in the 2m pa fixed(sav17).
          gateway 610xl "10 gallons of shit in 5 gallon bucket"all in one pc.$15

Comment

Got a wireless Microsoft keyboard. Hooked it up and found a bunch of dead keys as well as other keys that typed three or four different letters in a row when pushed. I figured it had suffered a spill so I took it apart to clean the membrane thinking this would fix it. It was soda or coffee that was spilled in it and some of the traces are burnt black. I cleaned it anyway and tried it again. Only one key that was dead on the first test came back to life after the clean up. Time to put this thing back in the trash can... The USB wireless radio part seems to be good so it goes in my junk box.
            "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
            Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
            John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
            Rod Serling

Comment

i got a panasonic lumix lc-33 at goodwill for 35. it runs great, 3.2 mp, 3x optical zoom, movie mode with microphone. i love it...

for free i got a new usb hub from fry's. free after rebate... my mom said she couldnt find the form at the provided likn so she ha them mail her a form... but free is free...

also, i found a usb to parallel adapter cable for 99 cents last week at goodwill. the apc $30 one. i also found a silver/black one at a trinity mission outlet for 3.99 new in box a while back. good for using my canon bjc-70 laptop printer (i found that at goodwill for 8 bux last year) on my eee pc.

i also found a boombox for 2.5bux ((yesterday was a goodwill half-off everything day). phillips unit, bass boost, cd player, tape deck, and needle-type radio. antenna screw loose (easy fix) and needs cleaned (was in a garage based on level of dirt). ill clean and fix it and give it to my world history teacher who killed his crappy durabrand one when he "touched the antenna and felt static, now the radio doesnt work". right now he is using an armband radio for joggers hooked up to a set of crappy computer speakers.

keep the score reports coming!
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

ignore this... what was here was supposed to go on the eeeuser forum.
                sigpic

Comment

yay! i found more cheap scores!

heading to purdue surplus, i found hidden in a corner an asante fs5008c 10/100 8 port LAN hub. it has a clear blue plastic top and solid sheet meta l bottom... thick sheet metal to be exact. looking inside thogh the clear cover, i see no bad caps and 2 realtek control chips. right now im load testing it... it seems to be working well.

i already had a 16 port hub but i have no 5v 5 amp cord for it right now... the 2 amp one i had wasnt enough to keep it from constantly re-setting... under only 3 active inputs... this one had the wart with it so im covered.

also, i found a set of phillips aluminum earbuds for 99 cents. they sound rockin! and the body of the buds is solid aluminum, not plastic. looks good with the ipod i bought there a few months back.
                  sigpic

Comment

ok, so i didnt get as good of a deal on the hub. see this... but hey, an 8 port for 5 bux aint bad.
                    sigpic

Comment

another good deal 4 me:

at goodwill, i found an HP laserjet 1012 for 9.99. normally i wold pass due to toner costs because most are empty, but this one was labled by the original owner "not vista compatible". so was an hp inkjet sitting next to it. the cords had been laved with a dynamo labeler. i figured some office upgraded to vista and had to dump these because of compatibility.

i plugged it in, no errors. i bought it, took it home, hooked it up (and installed hplip toolbox).

i did a test print and it came out nice. hplip says it has 4 out of 4 bars of toner. nice.

good or bad deal?
                      sigpic

Comment

The HP 1012 is Vista compatible, even 64 bit. I know because I own one. Someone was just too lazy and/or incompetent to check HP's website. Nice that you got a good deal out of it.

Comment

yeah... im lovin it. 15ppm aint too bad i guess. since toner is 70 a shot (it had name-brand in it) and itwas mostly full, 'bout hom much would it have sold elsewhere (ebay,etc)?

also, i read that remanufactured toner is good but refilled is not. they say refilled has worn rollers. re-manufactured has all that fixed. they are incredibly cheap so i wonder if you save anything. true?

now 4 pics:

the price:

the test page:

not too shabby?
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi Ratdude

Not Shabby at all.
                            Having a Laser Printer around is a great idea. You can cut way back on your inkjet refills that way.
                            One little issue: Power consumption. Most go to sleep pretty quickly nowdays but they can dim the lights when they start up.

HP makes some really great Laser printers. I don't know if yours is one of their finest but it's probably OK if it works at all.

I used to know someone that used HP color LaserJets for in-house printing. They had big Gallon jugs of Toner and did it themselves. Presumably the cartridges / rollers / drums and magic Laser Printer smoke help up for awhile.

Have Fun,
                            Keri
                            The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Both my 1012 and 1018 use only 4 watts when idling so power usage isn't bad. That was measured with an inline power meter. The 1012 is usually hard off so it's only the 1018 idling. They do go over 400 when heating up, but that's not for long unless you are printing a lot.

I guess I don't print much as both are on their original toners. The standard ones are rated for 2k pages.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                i got 2 nvidia 5\geforce fx 5500 128mb pci vid cards. they had 4 avaiable. 2 had for caps:

1 poly
                                1 16v 1000uf panny
                                3 sam young 10v 1000uf

the oyher 2

1 poly
                                2 sacon fz 1000uf 16v (one spot had holes for 2 cap sizes)
                                2sacon fz 1000uf 6.3v

i took one of each since one of the sam youngs had a fan that was all slow and stuck. they have a dvi (ang/dig) and s-video out.

i paid 5 bucks for both cards. they also had 5 zillion pci express cards, but i needed none.
                                You need to make the Sacon FZ -> GO AWAY.
                                Just search them. You'll see.
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                                  another good deal 4 me:

at goodwill, i found an HP laserjet 1012 for 9.99.
                                  ~~~
                                  good or bad deal?
                                  No.
                                  Not good or bad, -> EXCELLENT!
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

I don't like inkjet printers. I've used my laserjet 4050 N for a while. Before that I had a laserjet 4. I'm still on my original toner on the 4050 and toners are cheap anyway.
                                    I don't think I've ever actually bought a printer, all free.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                      You need to make the Sacon FZ -> GO AWAY.
                                      Just search them. You'll see.
                                      dont worry,that card aint in use no more... the sam young one i still use in my dell l933r but the other had a dead fan. i know sacon fz's are explosives. i was going to swipe both of the sam young ones but one had an obviously dead fan. the sacon one did too, but i did not know at the time.

and the original x800xl card to start the thread has yet to be used... oddly, i found out it has a agp to pci-e chip in it. i wish i had a mobo and psu (need to order the hypermicro special...) that liked it. my socket a board hated it... i might be getting another one soon... maybe some luck there.

its so stupid that the printer was labeled "not vista compatible". too bad i removed the masking tape label before i took pics... what a dumbass.
                                      sigpic

Comment

I snagged a Sony 24" CRT (2006) from the curb on trash day a couple days ago. Just needs a new flyback and a little bit of Magic Eraser to clean it up.

Comment

went to goodwill, found stuff

hit 3 stores

first one, i found for 5 dollars a swiss gear dvd player bag. it was a perfect fit for my eee pc. it was in good shape and was studier and roomier than my old one. no damages to it.

second store had a surprise: another ti 83 plus. it was 5 dollars, needed the battery connectors cleaned. popped in batteries, and it stated right up like a new one would. a bit beat up but easily passable. 10 for the broken one was a ripoff!

last store, i found a handspring visor prism for 25 bux. they have very nice screens and a motorola dragonball 33mhz cpu.

it had no base, so ill buy it a usb cord instead (they run 10-12 bux for a new belkin one).

it was broken, though. the cradle connector was broken off as was a screw mount.

but, the connector had all the pads still attached (i had to bend a few back in shape), and since the stylus had a built-in screwdriver, i opened it and re-soldered the surface mount connector.

the solder job went very well. you cant tell i did anything. ill have to get the cord to charge it, but i will be fine

good or bad deals?
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X