X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    These are the d530 ultra-slims. They have an oddball shaped motherboard, doesnt appear to be an asus OEM, completely proprietary, and doesn't have the typical Asus characteristics....thats not to say Asus didn't make it....but it's sure not looking like one. Yes they do have Delta PSU's. I've only worked on one. PSU was full of teapo caps, none were bad and the PSU was working....but I recapped it anyway. I polymodded the board, just for shits and grins. CPU is a 2.6/800FSB w/ HT. Will make a decent little internet browser/emailer for someone. Lab rat 1 is downloading updates as we speak.
    what will you do with the rest? sell them? If so, they are nice, especially if it has an AGP slot like the minitower version.

I like my minitower version... I swapped cpu heatsinks and fans (the new fan has a temp sensor on it). it is really quiet... a first for a P4 HT unit.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      These are the d530 ultra-slims. They have an oddball shaped motherboard, doesnt appear to be an asus OEM
      Good to hear that, cause the SFF ones are horrible.

By the way, I think I spoke too soon about that 19" Dell LCD because it didn't work today. I was trying to set up a computer a few hours earlier and decided to use this monitor instead of my normal one. After connecting everything and hitting the power button on the computer, the the monitor began cycling on and off. Funny, cause the last 3 times I tested it, it worked fine. I now do see why it was thrown away. My guess would be bad caps. The temperature has dropped too since the last time I tested this monitor, so that kind of confirms it. Hopefully a simple recap should fix it. I'll leave that as a project for later this week, though :p . Off to installing Windows on the trash-picked NetServer E800 now .
      Last edited by momaka; 10-16-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Here's a few pics...

This was taken after about half were unloaded

the weird motherboard:

Silkscreen art....looks like a turkey or a pheasant....very unusual to be found on recent motherboards.

The PSU:

Polymodded! Yes, I know there's one bloater still on the board....I took the pic then realized I missed one...

Alive and running:

Not bad for a free score. I have 19 of them. Also got some business class DSL routers, some 3com and nortel switches, and some other various crap.
        Attached Files
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Lucky! where did you get all that stuff?

Comment

^
            From a good friend of mine who intercepts them en-route to the recycler. This was only the tip of the iceberg. Theres some serious server stuff and more of these. I didn't even take half of the d530's.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Lol. Why not? You're a weird one not to take it all. :P

Unforunately I work at the recycler, and they don't give me free stuff. Lol!

Comment

$50 got me a Core i3 540 CPU and a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R motherboard. I'm gonna replace my main rig with it shortly.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                  Lol. Why not? You're a weird one not to take it all. :P
                  I wouldn't take them all either, since I don't get to sell a lot of refurbished gear (I try, but every one just buys new stuff around here), so it would take years to sell them all off. We still have PCs for sale at work which we refurbished like 6 months ago.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

This isn't PC related but its a very nice almost free score. My son bought two riding lawn mowers yesterday for $50. They are used but still very clean and nice looking. Mower #1 needs a drive belt. Mower #2 needs a starter. The people he bought them from have money so when ever their mower starts to act up they just park it and buy a new one. Poor Folks like us have to keep our old Junk going. Allen is going to need these things to cut the fields of grass on the farm he is moving to in the spring.
                    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                    Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                      $50 got me a Core i3 540 CPU and a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R motherboard. I'm gonna replace my main rig with it shortly.
                      If it uses DDR3 it might be time for some new RAM and... Windows 7 :P

Oh and to whoever cares I upgraded the RAM in that netbook to 2GB and stuck XP on it.

Comment

I got 4GB of DDR3 ram for it. I'm still gonna use XP, though unless that DirectX through wine trick let's me play flight sim X on openSUSE

Comment

I just pulled one of the d530's from the pile with a 3.2/800HT cpu and 2gb RAM. Stuck a 120gb 7200rpm HDD in it that I had in the junk drawer, and shazam! Damn nice little machine.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            Oh and to whoever cares I upgraded the RAM in that netbook to 2GB and stuck XP on it.
                            How does XP handle on 7" and what's the disk usage like?
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

XP used about two thirds of the internal 4GB SSD. But I used nLite and slipstreamed SP3 to my SP2 XP pro disc. I have a 2GB SD card I put in, where I installed the PortableApps versinos of some stuff like OpenOffice, VLC, Notepad++, etc... It works surprisingly well on my 7" screen, but I still miss the 9" screen on my previous Eee PC :-(

The 800x480 resolution's the real bummer.

Comment

I think I'll stick with Linux, unless I upgrade the SSD on mine. (There are some useful programs that Windows cannot run)

I heard it was possible, but you have to solder in a mini PCI-E slot yourself.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

How would a mini PCI-E slot help me? lol. I feel stupid for tossing my (bad mobo) Eee PC a week ago! Maybe I could have used the functional bottom half of this one and the functional (a little scratched on the outside but screen was still good) screen part of the 900HD I had previously...

The plus side of the 7" screen is the speakers are bigger and niely positioned to either side of the LCD.( on my 900HD they were on the bottom side and sucked)...this thing has pretty darn nice speakers I was pleseantly surprised!

Comment

You can install a new SSD into it and get more storage, and forget about using SD cards.
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Really? What type of SSD does it use?

Comment

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167039

or amazon's search... https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&ind..._encoding=UTF8

Google for other stores ...

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

More free caps! Intel 440BX-2: 7x3300uF 10V Chemicon LXZ capacitors!

0.03 esr 1950 ripple, 7000hrs endurance
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X