• Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Targus is definitely available here.

Comment

my day did not end there...

more thrift scores:

- (not computer related) brand new in packaging XACTO knife- $0.75 (wanted one for my toolbox)
      - oldschool IR (wireless) keyboard/mouse - $2.50:

the keyboard has the mouse built in. it is from around 1998. it uses PS/2 for they keyboard and serial for the mouse. it was in the original box but clearly used. the keyboard has a wide variety of hotkeys. I thought it would be a good for my media PC project (it has the proper ports).
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

forgot to add- I also got a lite-on 19V netbook PSU for $1.50. I didn't need one at the moment, but for that price, it may good to have if I never needed to troubleshoot or test something... plus, it might be good tradebait.
        sigpic

Comment

1 freebie laptop. It's a Hell Latitude D531. Turion 64 X2 TL-56 1.8GHz, 2GB DDR2, no HDD or cover, (you don't need one, though, since the screw holes for the HDD and the plastic insulation are all part of the case), and a dead battery. It was free because the customer said it had got wet, but it still fires up no problem. I disassembled it to check for damage, but all I could find was some on the case and PCMCIA slot (pictured). I can't find any evidence of any damage anywhere else, so it may never affect it.
          Attached Files
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

better than what I currently have *jealous* :|

Comment

Good fine c_hegge Care to send it over here for review?
              jk

Comment

Nah, it's a bit old for that now, besides, who says I can't review laptops?

Btw, I also had an IdeaPad a bit like yours come my way for repairs. The customers kids had destroyed the USB ports. That took me over an hour to disassemble and reassemble. I had this one apart and back together in about 15 mins.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                  Nah, it's a bit old for that now, besides, who says I can't review laptops?

Btw, I also had an IdeaPad a bit like yours come my way for repairs. The customers kids had destroyed the USB ports. That took me over an hour to disassemble and reassemble. I had this one apart and back together in about 15 mins.
                  yeah, latitudes D series and newer are pretty easy to work on... the d400 is a piece of cake, the d630 is a tad trickier... the d5xxs don't really follow the others in terms of specs but I am not surprised the ease of repair was kept.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's funny how some laptops come apart really easily while others seem downright evil.

You'd think they designed them to be hellishly difficult to disassemble on purpose.
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

19" Viewsonic VX912 (caps)
                      17" Iiyama TFT (caps)
                      Commodore 64 + module games + joysticks
                      Xbox
                      Sega Megadrive II
                      SGI Indy workstation - unable to test due to lack of proper display cable
                      3x IBM Model M keyboard
                      eMac G4 800MHz
                      PowerMac "graphite" G4 450MHz
                      4x PVR-DVB-t receivers with (caps and missing hdd's)
                      GVP SCSI hard disk and controller for Amiga 500
                      handfull of external hard disks (some with broken enclosure - hdd's were ok)
                      bunch of hard disks

and some other stuff..

Comment

Scored another cheap router.

it is a netgear WNDR3300:

-dualband wireless N
                        -8 internal antennas

I paid $5 for it.

I looked inside, saw capxons, in the future I will recap it (out of the values it needs).

DDWRT'd it... it so far works great (knock on wood)... right now the 5ghz radio is set to N/A and the 2.4ghz radio is set to G only. both use WPA2 personal for the security.

for $5 I think i got a steal.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                          -8 internal antennas
                          overkill much!?

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                            overkill much!?
                            no.

it drops connections and the 5ghz range was crap. me thinks it needs a recap.
                            sigpic

Comment

With 802.11n I think it's quite common to have many antennas...
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

weird.. then again, the only 802.11n capable "router" I've taken apart so far (to fix a busted DC jack) was an Apple Airport Extreme (the box one that looks like a mac mini), which "only" had 3 antennas

Comment

another score for $25 (before $10 off + 15% off)

Canon Powershot A530 (5mp, 4x opt. zoom)

It had everything but the wrist strap... (box, cables, manuals, etc). It also included a 256mb sd card

I have a few 2gb SD cards that needed a use...

It works great...

I may gift it to my dad who despite being a camera expert at one point (still has an old olympus SLR), doesn't have his own digital camera... That, and I like my canon s200 too much...
                                  sigpic

Comment

Picked up a very clean Dell Latitude D620 2.16 C2D 1GB Ram with battery and AC adapter (no HD or caddy) for free today just for installing a HD in a Desktop PC and reinstalling their software. Now to deside what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                      Picked up a very clean Dell Latitude D620 2.16 C2D 1GB Ram with battery and AC adapter (no HD or caddy) for free today just for installing a HD in a Desktop PC and reinstalling their software. Now to deside what to do with it.
                                      find a caddy and hdd. there are too many caddy-less units on ebay to stand a chance at selling it as it is now for a good price.

not to mention they make great laptop... I have it's newer daughter, the d630, and I love it. built like tank with plenty of power.

then again, you got it for free, so if you don't mind lowballing, you could sell it.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                        no.

it drops connections and the 5ghz range was crap. me thinks it needs a recap.
                                        got the caps in today, after a recap it seems to run better.

the 5ghz range is still a bit sucky but much improved. so far no dropped connections.

this thing must have 8mb of flash or something... I just realized that It was running standard dd-wrt, not the "micro" version run by my previous 2mb router... this seems to be a pretty slick router... the only bummer is that AFAIK the lan on it is only 10/100... I'll have to look it up...

edit- the Netgear WNDR3300 will only do 10/100 ... but then again, it is a dual band dual radio 8mb router with plenty of antennas... for $5, not bad...
                                        Last edited by ratdude747; 02-16-2012, 10:00 PM.
                                        sigpic

Comment

That does sound a bit idiotic, having the WiFi faster than the Ethernet. I wouldn't have cost them much to add Gig Ethernet.
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X