X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

^
    I'm aware of the GPU issue, and if it goes, theres nothing I can do about it anyway....so why sweat it from a free laptop. It had the latest BIOS from Dell on it...

FWIW, I researched the hell out of it....it has not been reported as a major issue on this model....I'm not too concerned about it. i think I've found 2 incidents of video problems with this model, and both were driver issues....
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      ^
      I'm aware of the GPU issue, and if it goes, theres nothing I can do about it anyway....so why sweat it from a free laptop. It had the latest BIOS from Dell on it...

FWIW, I researched the hell out of it....it has not been reported as a major issue on this model....I'm not too concerned about it. i think I've found 2 incidents of video problems with this model, and both were driver issues....
      maybe it was made after some date in IIRC 2010? there were later revsions that were supossedly OK... My d630 isn't, as it was made in 2008. (That doesn't mean that the MOBO is stock, as it was bought used).

I make look in mine just to see... now to find that thread...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

This machine is circa 2008~2009. You could get it with your choice of XP or Vista....7 in its latter years. I think they quit making them in 2011, but I haven't found proof of that. Most reviews I've read rate the batt life at 2hrs+/-....not the best, but not the worst. My inspiron was good for about that.... I'll be curious about that when the new batt arrives.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I see.

found the nvidia datecode thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19719

I just found out after looking inside that my Jun '08 laptop has a 2010 board and HDD in it... the GPU is a 10 series, which according to the thread doesn't have the underfill issue. Also, the HDD is a 160GB WD scorpio blue, which had a 2010 manu. date on it... My guess was that the old owners of the laptop, Purdue university, must have had it refurbed around 2010.

Also worth noting- they were selling off a whole fleet of these (most still unsold)... I wonder if they all have newer 10 dated boards?
          sigpic

Comment

I dont feel ambitious enough to strip it that far down....if it dies, it dies.....it was free...but this issue has not been reported in all the crap I've dug up on this model.... Time will tell I guess. Not gonna throw it away in working condition because it *might* fail...
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Holy shit Ratdude, no wonder this wasn't an issue with the Precision line of Dell Laptops...the GPU is not integrated into the motherboard, its an add-on card!! Big brownie points for this Dell on this model! GPU dies, GPU can be replaced for about 20 bucks and 10 minutes of disassembly time...

FWIW, I just scored the quadro fx3500 512mb upgrade for it on fleabay for 60 bucks.....the next cheapest I found of that model was 189.... SCORE!!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Holy shit Ratdude, no wonder this wasn't an issue with the Precision line of Dell Laptops...the GPU is not integrated into the motherboard, its an add-on card!! Big brownie points for this Dell on this model! GPU dies, GPU can be replaced for about 20 bucks and 10 minutes of disassembly time...

FWIW, I just scored the quadro fx3500 512mb upgrade for it on fleabay for 60 bucks.....the next cheapest I found of that model was 189.... SCORE!!
                I see... My d630's chips is integrated... but then again, my laptop is a hell of a lot smaller and thinner.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  I see... My d630's chips is integrated... but then again, my laptop is a hell of a lot smaller and thinner.
                  This one weighs 9lbs....it has some girth, but thats ok. If I want light and dainty, I'll use my netbook...this is a manly laptop!! HAHA

I was researching the hell out of this issue, because you were right, this model should have been a disaster with video failures, and it wasn't....and I was wondering why.... Low & behold, the answer was completely awesome! For once, Dell didn't screw me!

The 120gb HDD is a 7200RPM, so I'll run that....I thought it was a 5400, which i'd have replaced. The new battery should be here this week, I got the upgraded 9 cell 7800mAH for 28 bucks shipped. From what I read on this model, it should be good for about 2hrs of use.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

The d630 is a tad chunky... 5.8lb (6.6lb w/ 90W power cord). Dell latitudes and Precisions are pretty solid.
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't quite get dell here..
                      The Quadro FX 3500M is called an upgrade compared to the FX 1600M officially?

That's funny.. because:
                      FX 1600M = G84 = Geforce 8600 series
                      FX 3500M = G71 = Geforce 7900 series

The 7900 uses more power while being a bit slower. Upgrade..? WTF dell?!

If it's a standard MXM card (which I doubt, considering it's a Dell) and you don't care much about graphics grunt, I would've gone for something like a Radeon X300 (which uses 7W max, compared to over 30W for the 7900 or 26W for the 8600.. battery life and stuff)

Comment

woohoo! was given 2 more Precision M6300's today. One got the screen slammed in a trunk door and busted it (how someone does this is beyond me), but otherwise still works....the other one won't power up at all (Gatorade spill down the keyboard). Can take the two and make one.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

woohoo! was given 2 more Precision M6300's today. One got the screen slammed in a trunk door and busted it (how someone does this is beyond me), but otherwise still works....the other one won't power up at all (Gatorade spill down the keyboard). Can take the two and make one.
                          You lucky b*****d! I wish I was you right now... about 8 months ago... I wouldn't have had to BUY my D630... At least I got mine for $50-$100 less than it would have ebayed at.

the only free laptops I get are paperweights (although I did get some nice parts including a 14" LCD out of one).

Let me guess- Your wife is gonna get her laptop returned and upgraded with that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                            You lucky b*****d! I wish I was you right now... about 8 months ago... I wouldn't have had to BUY my D630... At least I got mine for $50-$100 less than it would have ebayed at.

the only free laptops I get are paperweights (although I did get some nice parts including a 14" LCD out of one).

Let me guess- Your wife is gonna get her laptop returned and upgraded with that.
                            she thinks the m6300 is too big....so the little acer it is....HAHA I laughed too....who could say a 17" 16:10 display on a notebook is too big!!! not sure what I'll do with the other..... they seem to go for around 300+/- on fleabay.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

she thinks the m6300 is too big....so the little acer it is....HAHA I laughed too....who could say a 17" 16:10 display on a notebook is too big!!! not sure what I'll do with the other..... they seem to go for around 300+/- on fleabay.
                              Hang on to it... Acer laptops half-suck quality wise... you (well, her) may need it down the road.
                              sigpic

Comment

who could say a 17" 16:10 display on a notebook is too big!!
                                I could. I don't like anything bigger than 14".
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
                                  Thats because you're not normal. I sure dig it, and so do my eyes!
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

^
                                    The whole reason I would get a laptop over a desktop or briefcase is for portability. If it's bigger than 14", it's not portable enough.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i think of these as portable desktops.
                                      got one of those huge dell things at the shop.
                                      its a dualcore with a 17" 4:3 screen.was for gaming when new.now a decent general purpose unit.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        ^
                                        The whole reason I would get a laptop over a desktop or briefcase is for portability. If it's bigger than 14", it's not portable enough.
                                        I'm not sure how its not portable....it fits in the same carry case my 15" Dell Inspiron 5100 used....and weighs about the same, maybe a pound heaver. It still sits on my lap just fine.....it just has a nice big screen which is a blessing!! If I want extremely portable, I'll use my netbook, if I want dorky portable, I'll use my smartphone.....but in the mean time, I'm all too happy to drag this behemoth around!! People with brand new laptops seem to drool over this one.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

this is the first post from the precision m6300... I toyed around with it in the shop for a few days, even gave 7 a try.....but low & behold its fat & happy with xp x64 on it and working great!! Compared to my inspiron 5100, this thing is a godsent!!
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X