Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable Computrace in dell e6420.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable Computrace in dell e6420.

Hi Everybody, good day to all. I have problem with dell e6420.
    its activated with computrace. when open old windows a message displayed that the laptop has been stolen and computrace service is activated etc.....
    When enter bios i see its setting cannot be change because it locks with password. i have reflash main bios. now bios password has gone but bios setting cannot be changed. While change boot menu or othersettings and after reboot system then same as previous. So How can solve it if anybody know.
    Thanks advance.

Re: How to disable Computrac in dell e6420.

Originally posted by nazrul145 View Post
    hi everybody, good day to all. I have problem with dell e6420.
    Its activated with computrace. When open old windows a message displayed that the laptop has been stolen and computrace service is activated etc.....
    When enter bios i see its setting cannot be change because it locks with password. I have reflash main bios. Now bios password has gone but bios setting cannot be changed. While change boot menu or othersettings and after reboot system then same as previous. So how can solve it if anybody know.
    Thanks advance.
    reflash with programmer main and kbc bios (erase chip first)

Comment

Originally posted by dycc View Post
      reflash with programmer main and kbc bios (erase chip first)
      here
      Attached Files

Comment

Tried it on my e6420 with intel video. Now it boots to "ME is in recovery state..."
        Am I missing something? Can I recover the bios from this or should I flash it back?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by nazrul145 View Post
          Hi Everybody, good day to all. I have problem with dell e6420.
          its activated with computrace. when open old windows a message displayed that the laptop has been stolen and computrace service is activated etc.....
          When enter bios i see its setting cannot be change because it locks with password. i have reflash main bios. now bios password has gone but bios setting cannot be changed. While change boot menu or othersettings and after reboot system then same as previous. So How can solve it if anybody know.
          Thanks advance.
          Do you know for a fact that the computer is stolen?

Comment

There is an internal OEM dell disk floating around that will allow you to reset/change computrace settings and service tag.

Comment

Originally posted by kisk View Post
              There is an internal OEM dell disk floating around that will allow you to reset/change computrace settings and service tag.
              Hello there.

Do you have a link for this disk or know where it floats and how it's called?

Many thanks

Comment

Thx dycc , you saved my day !!! I confirm your bios (u52+u53) are perfectly working on a E6420, and shows computrace as disabled. The bios is an A12 rev.

I used a raspberry pi (B+) + 8 pins SOIC probe + flashrom app to make both erase and flashing.

Thanks again. For my information, did you get these bios from an E6420 that had not activated the computrace or did youmanage to mod the bios yoursefl with a dell utility for ex.? Just curious .
                Last edited by sven69300; 01-15-2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sven69300 View Post
                  Thx dycc , you saved my day !!! I confirm your bios (u52+u53) are perfectly working on a E6420, and shows computrace as disabled. The bios is an A12 rev.

I used a raspberry pi (B+) + 8 pins SOIC probe + flashrom app to make both erase and flashing.

Thanks again. For my information, did you get these bios from an E6420 that had not activated the computrace or did youmanage to mod the bios yoursefl with a dell utility for ex.? Just curious .
                  It worked on intel (LA-6591P) or nvidia (LA-6592P)?

Comment

LA-6591P, don't know exactly the rev.
                    Last edited by sven69300; 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I managed to flash the U52 and U53 dumps posted by dycc but now im getting the "ME is in recovery state..." on every boot. the laptop still works fine but i suspect something must be up with the ME section of the bios dump? id like to get rid of the error if possible.

does anyone have any other dumps or know if its possible to read the admin password from a admin locked bios dump?

Comment

I managed to find a version of the bios without the enterprise intel ME stuff.

heres a dump i made of both U52,U53 that has been updated to the latest A21 rev and has all options unlocked.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Fr: Hello Dyyc, merci pour la réponse . Bien cool de ta part ce partage. Tu as essayé avec les fichiers de wallace80 ? Je vais essayer je pense histoire de faire sauter le message "ME is in recovery state..."

Eng: Hi Dyyc, thanks again for your sharing . Have you given a try with wallace80's files ? I will give a try tonight, and see if this "ME is in recovery state..." message fades.

Comment

Wallace80, thanks for sharing, working perfectly on my E6420

Comment

Originally posted by sven69300 View Post
                              Wallace80, thanks for sharing, working perfectly on my E6420
                              Happy to help, glad it fixed your issue

I was in the same situation too and the Me in recovery state was annoying me, think I flashed the bios over 20times trying different things. Least we got there in the end.

Comment

This might not be the correct place to post my question. I have the same system E6420 Intel. Not quite the same problem. Computrace is "Activated" and greyed out in the BIOS - I fully own this laptop, Computrace gave me the runaround or flat out ignored me so I want to flash the bios and unlock everything. If I have the bin files posted above, how do I actually flash the bios either in Windows or via bootable USB drive?
                                Thanks for any help

Comment

thanks dear working perfectly on my E6420

Comment

Could you please help me how to flash the files from Wallace80 ? Many thanks.

Comment

Thanks very much

Comment

thanks for bios \

Comment

Working...
                                        X