Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crown Amp DC300A - One channel distirted, other good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crown Amp DC300A - One channel distirted, other good.

not that I can detect but then again, I am currently only running it into little speakers.

Comment

i am wondering if the outputs are working . there should be over 600 mv at their bases and rail voltages at the collectors .

Comment

that's an interesting question. I am going by my scope of 1khz input 200-300mv p-p that shows up as 1-2v pp at the speaker outputs. Seems rather meek. :-) Maybe I am not recalling the numbers correctly. I will have to double check. The rail voltages are there as that is always the first thing that I check (+/- ~60).

edit: just checked, .4v p-p input to the main board results in 8+v p-p at the speaker terminal.... so possibly with a 2v p-p input would result maybe in 40 v p-p. "lightly speaking" into possibly a 8ohm @ 1khz (speaker impedance response might be less), 200 "watts" average...maybe given the "grossness" of my "thumb calculation" (forgetting about the 1/2 factor for "AC")
        Last edited by budwich; 06-04-2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

could be just the driver transistors powering the speakers . see if they are hot to touch

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
            could be just the driver transistors powering the speakers . see if they are hot to touch
            I "touched" them with a thermal reader... all 4 are running about 28-30C. The opamp is running about 40C. Most other components are seeing 25-27C.

I think they are OK and just doing their normal job... hopefully.

Comment

look up the specs ..they might be in tolerance running small speakers . i dont have schem open here and my pc is too busy recovering a hard drive . just browsing the net is painful slow

Comment

sorry, not sure that I understand. you are saying at the low power needed for the small speakers that I am running, they might be the only thing operating and that the slight temperature is just that. When the "big boys speakers" are connected, then things will fall apart. :-( I haven't found a spec for the rca 61061 yet but some one indicates that 2n3440 can be used so I will try that info. not sure what I am actually looking for.
                Last edited by budwich; 06-04-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

from what i find they are 1 amp or thereabouts

Comment

ok... so then you are saying that in a nominal 8 ohm load (speaker), with 8 volts, the system might only be needing 1 amp which could be supplied by just the pre-driver.
                    But if the outputs are not on, how is that current finding it way to thru the "non-turned on" outputs without significant distortion?

Comment

good question . i do not know the answer .all i know is some drivers are capable . i need to look at the schem again to see how the signal gets through but there are usually something like 100 ohm resistors between the drivers emitters connecting to the centre line . .

Comment

yes you are right. There is a "path" by the first driver thru a 180 ohm resistor to the output.... but IF that path was used as the "only source", I think that the resistor would be "cooked" as it is only a 1/4 watt resistor. I will check what kind of voltage I see going on them.

On the meter side of things, maybe the meter has an issue measuring voltage on very low resistance components / wiring such that the "leakage current" going into the "high impedance" measuring component (for voltage measurement) has some sort of "restriction" on how it handles it. I see a momentary voltage of a 30-40 mv flash on the screen and then it moves to zero.
                        Last edited by budwich; 06-05-2021, 05:47 AM.

Comment

So user error comes into play. I needed to get of "auto" mode and go to selected range. Once on a "3 decimal range", I can measure voltages across each .33 resistor. They range from 6 mv to zero although zero is probably not "true" as it flickers from 1mv (smallest measureable increment).

Based on your earlier comment ("there should be some small voltage ... 4mv..."), it would appear that some are seeing such a thing. IF true, it would appear that there is some differences across the outputs.
                          Last edited by budwich; 06-05-2021, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Couple of hours running with the "big" jbl sovereigns at moderate volume... not sure my ears or "heart" (fear of blowing things up) can take much higher. Might be psychological, but the sound seems brighter and maybe a bit clearer than in the distant past (its been a while and my ears aren't getting any younger). Hopefully, things will hold up for while so I can move onto a "lost speed revox reel to reel"... :-(.... :-)

Thanks for the continued guidance along the way, it has help get me headed in good directions.

Comment

main heatsink should be warm . if you set bias to spec you will just have to see how it goes .

Comment

In the current operating setup area, get access to things is difficult. Personally, I can't remember ever feeling heat coming out of the amp area although I can't say that I listen at extreme volume levels so I am not sure that the amp is pushed at any time. Will see how it goes. I am enjoying listening to "plain stereo" again.

Comment

Working...
                                X