Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sparklling and buzzing around the switch on the extender cable

My dear electronics repair guys:
    I switched off this thing (on picture) via switch and switched back ON but immediately I could hear buzz and like a little electric shock around red switch and these 2 lights started to blink but should be ON all the time.
    I then switched it OFF,got afraid that I burnt the PCs via electric shock.
    I saw a little current flash around this red switch and I could hear buzzing.
    All the devices were connected to the extender when I did that but none of them were working at that time (they were in standby mode)-
    This is second time it is hapening.
    What is this issue and why does it happen?
    I hooked up all the devices to it,but mostly only 3 work at same time (5.1 system,router and one PC,never more)
    This device is from some Konig brand,not very cheap but not expensive too.
    I think when all cables are disconnected and this Konig device is ON I can plug in each device,no issues,no flashes,but I got flash when I flip the switch ON and all devices are connected to this Konig extender.
    Is this dangerous for my PCs?
    Do I need to purchase second extender?

This one wasn't used that much (Dad told me he purchased it new few years ago) and the scars on the back are probably from touching the floor.
    The same thing happens when I connect any laptop charger to second extender,I get lightning flash and a buzz.This only happens with laptop chargers on second extender.
    Attached Files

Re: sparklling and buzzing around the switch on the extender cable

try a new switch .

Comment

Those switches are crap they do not last if you are switching it off and on from the extender just change the switch to a 15 amp one if you can find one

Or do away with the switch on the extender and use a wall switch inline on the power supply cable to the extender which is what I would do if I were repairing this device
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 06-06-2021, 11:28 AM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

if you replace the switch then get an illuminated one - you can never have too many lights!
        and get green rather than red - for some reason the lamps last much longer.

Comment

all extenders here come with same switch all all are made in China.
          Could it be that I have some electrical issues in my room because same issue happens with another extender connected to wall socket just above this one.
          Maybe there is some issue with ground in wall socket,huh?
          Is this what is called "inrush current"?

Comment

Crappy switch that's failed. Just replace it.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

I think I will replace the whole extender,is this one any good?
              https://www.cyberpower.com/global/en...u/p0820suf0-de
              This is the current one:
              https://i.postimg.cc/13tfLQ4j/20210607-175711.jpg
              Last edited by paparazzo79; 06-07-2021, 10:15 AM.

Comment

1.25 amps in each hole isnt much .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                  U mean 275 W per socket?
                  But afaik PC takes around 400 W of power.
                  I don't understand it's 10A*220V=2200W.
                  My whole system when would be ON (all 3 PCs+5.1 system+monitor+router) doesn't use that much power.
                  Last edited by paparazzo79; 06-07-2021, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    that's total load and you know it

10A is the rating of the plug and cable.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      that's total load and you know it

10A is the rating of the plug and cable.
                      Wait,how many watts is limited per socket on the extender,with this cyberpower model?
                      I'm confused now.

Comment

You can pull up to 10A total through the power strip using any combination of loads on any sockets.
                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

if you use one its 10 amps .if you use 2 its 5 amps each etc etc .total load not to exceed 10 amps ..

Comment

I believe the Cyberpower is rated 10A total - from all eight outlets, as a maximum.
                            But it's made in china so derate by 50% lol. Just kidding.

I think you could pull 5A from one outlet, leaving 5A for the the other 7 outlets.

Comment

Even if were all the devices powered on I caclculated that total ppower consumption wouldn't exceed 1.5kW.
                              So the extender is not the issue (my opinion).
                              Something other is happening here.
                              Average modern PC won't exceed 500W of power consumption.
                              Could it be the issue that on one of the PCs I have installed 1200W PSU which ofc doesn't use 1/3 of it's power.
                              Last edited by paparazzo79; 06-07-2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frozensun View Post
                                Even if were all the devices powered on I caclculated that total ppower consumption wouldn't exceed 1.5kW.
                                So the extender is not the issue (my opinion).
                                Something other is happening here.
                                Average modern PC won't exceed 500W of power consumption.
                                Could it be the issue that on one of the PCs I have installed 1200W PSU which ofc doesn't use 1/3 of it's power.

The problem is that the cheap Chinese power switch has worn out and failed. Replace or bypass the switch.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                  The problem is that the cheap Chinese power switch has worn out and failed. Replace or bypass the switch.
                                  Okay.I purchased yesterday new switch 15 A.
                                  The issue is that all extenders share the same type of switch.
                                  Will picture the switch later

Comment

I ordered the APC one and should come tomorrow.
                                    I guess if issue persist then I have some wall socket issues,God knows what...

Comment

Working...
                                    X