Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiper HPU-4S350 - Old but good?

Hey guys

I have had this power supply for about ten years, it was very cheap at the time (£20 if I remember) but going by the fact it weights a fair bit I always considered it to be decent, its never let me down even in some fairly heavy systems.

Having had a poke around it is covered in CapXons, which have served their purpose and will be swapped.

My question is do all replacements have to be identical, I have most of the caps but one 1000uf 16v cap that's bulged I do not have, I have some 1500uf 16v FR's though, would that be a near enough replacement? It is the cap central in the overhead photo.

Also any info if the design is any good or not would be welcome, I don't know too much about these beyond cap repairs.
    Attached Files

Re: Hiper HPU-4S350 - Old but good?

This looks like a 300W power supply. OEM is Seven Team, you can tell by "ST" on the transformers.

The bulging cap in the center of the power supply is for the 5vsb output filtering. I don't think it's a good idea to replace it with Panasonic FR, because Panasonic FR is a bit too low esr for power supplies. You can get away using FR for the 3 main voltages (3.3V, 5v and 12V), but for 5vsb I would recommend Nichicon HE, Chemicon KY, Rubycon YXH or even Rubycon YXF grade capacitors.

A pic of the psu label?

Comment

Sure see attached.

I have stripped the old caps and here is what I will need replacements for:

2 x CapXon - 4700uf 6.3v 10mm x 35mm
      3 x CapXon - 2200uf 16v 10mm x 25mm
      1 x CapXon - 2200uf 10v 10mm x 25mm
      1 x CapXon - 1000uf 16v 10mm x 20mm
      2 x CapXon - 470uf 16v 8mm x 15mm

The rest I will leave as they are very low uf.

These values are not easy to find in these sizes. The 4700uf are not available in 10mm, I have read this would be ok to replace with 3300uf?
      Attached Files

Comment

trace the -5v wire back through the board.
        if that is the only cap involved then use the 1500uf FR

Comment

2 x CapXon - 4700uf 6.3v 10mm x 35mm --> 2x 3300uF 6.3V 10mm (for example Panasonic FK or FR).

I would advise you to replace the 5vsb critical cap if there is one and the small caps that are located in the primary section of psu. You don't need to replace the 1uF caps, those rarely fail.

Comment

For the -5 would a Panasonic FC be more suitable?

I can get that easy enough.

Rubycon ZLJ's come in a 10mm package for the 3300uf 6.3v, would those also work?
            Last edited by Bungz; 05-16-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...3304a7220d.pdf

10x25 esr: 0.024

Those will be fine.

-5V??? There is no -5V in this psu. Did you mean -12V or +5vsb?

Comment

Sorry the +5Vsb

If those both are ok then the only other problem is the 2200's in a 10mm.

I will use a 16v in the place of the 10v, so thats 4 16v 2200uf I need in a 10mm size.

Wish it wasn't so tight, there is no room for the common 12.5 size.
                Last edited by Bungz; 05-16-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Panasonic FC 1000uF 16V would be good replacement for that rail.

Comment

OK so I am starting to get a rough idea whats what, I appreciate the help.

Final question, 2200uf 16v caps are again difficult to find in 10mm, would I be ok to use 1800uf 16v FR's as a replacement?

Thanks!
                    Last edited by Bungz; 05-16-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Maybe, but you can get Panny FK in that size. Element14 and RS components (the two main electronics component suppliers in the UK) both have them.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/0571606/
                      http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-elec...rad/dp/1744922

EDIT: another one you will have trouble with is the 4700uF 6.3V in 10mm diameter. For those, 3300uF is fine. Panny FK and Rubycon ZL are both available in that size
                      http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-elec...rad/dp/1744878
                      http://uk.farnell.com/rubycon/6-3zlj...rad/dp/2346439
                      http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumin...itors/0571054/
                      Last edited by c_hegge; 05-16-2015, 07:18 PM.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Rs online looks good, handy for small orders

Will use them then.

Thanks

Comment

Yah. I do like how they have free shipping for all online orders. Farnell/Element14 do as well, but only for orders over $50.
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

in the u.k. farnell is orders over £20
                            and cpc is all orders = free delivery.

Comment

Well the parts have all been ordered, will update when I get it together.

Hope it lasts another ten years

Comment

If you oil the fan bearing with Singer sewing machine oil or just motor oil it will probably last more!

Comment

Nice unit. Honest label, I bet it could do 350W no sweat. I'd take the PPFC coil out though. What are the silicon specs?

Comment

10 year old CrapXons? oh the horror

Comment

Violet PCB, this is my first time

What is the silicon? Depending on that it may do over 400 W I think. Seventeam is not that tragic as many others.

As for caps, I have no problem with D8 1500/6,3 KZN on stand-by…those are 1/3 lower ESR than KY 1200/6,3. If you'll need some high-capacity D10 16V caps, let me know. You can shop on eBay but it is 60 % more expensive there because of exchange volatility and fees.
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                        Violet PCB, this is my first time
                                        Yeah.... it's really strange. Never seen that before. And, it's a bright violet at that!

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                        Nice unit. Honest label, I bet it could do 350W no sweat.
                                        I agree.

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                        What are the silicon specs?
                                        I want to know too :P

Originally posted by CapSwapper View Post
                                        10 year old CrapXons? oh the horror
                                        Two more years and the capacitors in our plasma TV will be 10 years old xD
                                        (They are mostly capXons.... I might replace them soon)
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X