Capacitor(s) Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capacitor(s) Identification

Hi there guys and gals. Just bought a huge lot of electeonic parts online and while I dont usually buy N.O.S. electrolytic caps, I have around 500 of the blue and yellow caps. About 40 of rhe black box. They came with no paperwork and was hopeing some of you fine folks could help me identify them. Blue electro is 220u@63v. MLCC type measured 270pF. The black box type measures 5uF but the marks say 475 (4u7). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to figure out the manufacturer along with the voltage rating.
    Attached Files

Re: Capacitor(s) Identification

The yellow discs may be Metal Oxide Varistors (MOVs). The markings are unlike what would be typical for ceramic capacitors.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

PeteS is correct, The VE09 0950 are AVX 95 volt ac Zinc Oxide varistors
      Last edited by R_J; 07-01-2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

blue electrolytics are made by BC,
        i think they are now a subsuduary of Vishay.

Comment

I've not seen anything like those black boxes with the colored dots, and I've been interested in electronics since high school, Nixon's first term as President.

I'm going to guess those MOVs R_J identified are intended for telephone line surge protection.

Axial lead electrolytic caps (first picture) are usually general purpose or maybe non-polarized.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I have some similar blue capacitors like the first picture with the Philips name on them.
            I too have never seen those square black devices, (cap?) anywhere.

Comment

the black ones look like some pre-ww2 stuff from "mr carlson's lab"
              they are probably mica or foil.

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. Should I go ask Mr Carlson himself? I was just thinking about joining his patreon page. Anyhoo... Thanks again every one!! Happy 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  the black ones look like some pre-ww2 stuff from "mr carlson's lab"
                  they are probably mica or foil.
                  I've seen older military style mica caps that look like this:

But not in about 50 years.
                  PeteS in CA

Comment

Sorry if I use this already open thread to ask about these caps, specially the yellow and blue ones (I know their values, but not the type)...

The yellow is a 100nF (10% tol.) but that "50SN (in circle)" I couldn't identify.
                    The blue is a 2.2F, but that "F" and "ND" I also couldn't identify.

Not sure from where they came originally, probably a CD player (yellow) or from a PSU (blue), but I'm not sure...

Comment

blue are general purpose axial electrolytics from BC / Vishay

Comment

Originally posted by Cap_search View Post
                        Sorry if I use this already open thread to ask about these caps, specially the yellow and blue ones (I know their values, but not the type)...

The yellow is a 100nF (10% tol.) but that "50SN (in circle)" I couldn't identify.
                        The blue is a 2.2F, but that "F" and "ND" I also couldn't identify.

Not sure from where they came originally, probably a CD player (yellow) or from a PSU (blue), but I'm not sure...
                        The larger blue cap is probably 2.2uF, 100V, either monolythic ceramic or film. If it's a film cap it's probably polyester film.

The other two are both .1uF (10 x 10^4 pF), +/-10% ("K"), film caps. The brown part is probably Panasonic and polyester film.
                        PeteS in CA

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                          The larger blue cap is probably 2.2uF, 100V, either monolythic ceramic or film. If it's a film cap it's probably polyester film.

The other two are both .1uF (10 x 10^4 pF), +/-10% ("K"), film caps. The brown part is probably Panasonic and polyester film.
                          Thank you Pete,

Do you think the yellow one is a metallized paper cap, or it's too small for that?
                          Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                            I've seen older military style mica caps that look like this:

But not in about 50 years.
                            Anybody here have any use for these caps. Think I have around 50 of them. What do you think they are worth? Still have not had any luck finding info on these.

Comment

Working...
                            X