Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onkyo TX-NR807 no sound problem

Hi guys!

Got this Onkyo monster with a defect - it has no sound through speaker outputs as well as headphones (previously stated as fully working). Okey, thought it is a common problem of DTS IC or its firmware as the all others I have repaired before. Carefully inspected DSP IC, seems to be changed to the newest version (with a letter "D") and all FWs show OK.

Started troubleshooting with a DMM and scope.
    Checked signal path and the signal is missing just after Q5501 - R2A15220FP - Input MUX IC. Checked before caps C5600 and C5601 so that Mute does not affect signal (if such is present). Voltage rails are OK, though (Please refer to the chematics part presented below).
    https://ibb.co/kX1TsSw

How likely this IC is damaged? Have anyone had such experience where R2Axxxxx Input Selector was defective?

Looking forward to hearing!
    Last edited by XgN; 01-03-2021, 08:39 AM.

Re: Onkyo TX-NR807 no sound problem

I remember seeing a video of a yamaha AVR repair, where the input selector/vol control was dead.

Comment

I will start my own thread on this, but I thought I'd offer some perspective:

I just had an HT-R590 receiver go bad. I get no sound from the speakers, but all video, FM tuner, etc functions seem to work. When I opened the unit, I noticed signs of heat (small burn mark) on the AMP board near the resistors for the +/-15V regulators, which is almost directly above the R2A15218FP (8 channel input selector) chip, which is undermounted to that board. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out the loss of audio output, considering all the relays seems to be functional (and this uses a wirebound (not flip-BGA) TI DSP chip on the HDMI board, which doesn't appear to be part of the big warranty extension from the last few years).

I would be very interested to see if, indeed, the R2A15218FP chip goes bad frequently. I'll be watching to see your pointers on isolating the issue to there.

Comment

Has the problem been solved? Is the integrated circuit damaged or the input selector defective?

Comment

Hello , no progress yet .

Have been really busy with other customer repairs , & needed to side line the amp for now , but be assured i won't give up till i trace route cause of the issue .

Will update soon as i have the opportunity to work on it again .

Regards Zen

Comment

I recently acquired one of these TX-NR807 with no audio and the main digital board has not had any of the usual mods... cap changes, daughter board voltage reg or DSP chip replaced.

I started by flowing some liquid flux under Q3001 (DSP, D830K013BZKB300) and reflowing it as I have done with other units that use this chip.

It now works fine, audio out, network etc. This chip was on the TI 'premature failure' list, so it remains to be seen how long it lasts.

Comment

Working...
            X