This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi everyone, Im just looking for advice in some cases which i have in my way when i want to challenge myself in new tasks. Cheers guys. ;D

Comment

Hello all, my names is Carl Fickling and I just found this web site. I thank you very much for all your help! I have been an electronic tech for over 40 years and like to get some input from the problems others have already had. I start my training in the US Navy and am currently start my own buisness call "Your MyGuy'ver" the 21 Centry Handy Guy...

Comment

Hello! I recently started repairing broken LCDs that were in the "to donate" pile at my office. All of them were easy fixes with bad caps! I never realized plugging your electronics into a power strip really does make an impact.

Just picked up my first broken plasma HDTV and have already diagnosed a bad buffer board just from these forums alone! Would love to post my own repair thread to help others (as well as myself), but it looks like i had to come here to introduce myself first

RIP - Vizio 50" Plasma

Saved - Samsung 244T LCD Monitor (x3) | Samsung 216BW LCD Monitor (x3) | Dell Desktop (x1)

Comment

Originally posted by omgitsmit View Post
          All of them were easy fixes with bad caps! I never realized plugging your electronics into a power strip really does make an impact.
          Not entirely sure what you mean by that, but bad capacitors are not caused by using or not using power strips.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Hey. I "won" a non functional TV from work and been looking around to see if it would be worth fixing so I signed up here.

I've been ripping electronics apart since I was about 7 years old (dad still has new stories of buying me new stuff and me taking it apart before playing with it), but I've never delved into the LCD TV world.

I'm a software engineer by profession and after reading a few topics on similar issues with the TV I just picked up, I fear my lack of electrician skills are going to make this venture a waste of time.

Whenever this post trigger happens, I'll start a thread and provide whatever information you intelligent folks want. Thank you for the free use of the site.

- Kevin

Comment

Nice to be on board!

Comment

Decided to try unlocking the mysteries lurking in the guts of my TV before calling the even more mysterious repairman.

Comment

Hey guys. I've been to badcaps.net several times in the past, now I've finally signed up because I'm delving into plasma TVs for the first time (yeah I know, I'm a little behind lol). A little about me, I'm a mechanic of everything, trucks, equipment, cars, and everything else with nuts and bolts. I'm a welder, arc and mig. I am also a heavy electronics tinkerer, and a slight computer nerd, though networking and programming are past my scope. Well anyway, there's my intro, now time to post about y-sustain boards!

Comment

glad to have found BadCaps looking desperately for HELP !

Comment

Hello everyone! Looks like I found the right place for electronic repair!

Comment

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Jim I am from California I am just getting into electronic repairs and would love to have all the help I can get!

Comment

Well, I'm here. hope Iam doing this right.

Well hey
                          Hope I am doing this post right.. Guess I'll find out.

Anyway, I was searching for some info on an old R.S. intercom and when I goggled the mod number, I was brought here to badcaps. Whoa.. Never knew such a site existed, but I've seen my share of bad caps throughout life.

So I'm from the tail end of the tube Hammond generation, and have worked on those buggers many years. Also do a fair amount of amp repair, and in general circuit board repair. Seems to be a real trend these days in equipment to find bad caps. seems to be more or less "what goes wrong" these days. back then, not so much, but now.. Pffft!

Well, I better get back to my reading about those intercoms. Got to get them working.

Comment

Hi, I'm a corporate systems admin, but plasma TVs are foreign territory to me. I've repaired hundreds of bad LCD monitors, laptops, & desktop PCs. How difficult are internal repairs on a plasma TV in comparison?

Comment

Hi, I am a retired technician. I started in 1960 repairing Cash Registers. The only thing using electric current was an AC Brush Motor, to drive the mechanics. Some registers did not even have that, the complete operation was accomplished by giving a hefty push on the keys. I had to progress with technology to descreet components on a wired in module, to IC nan gates, nor gates, and such, to high density programmable circuits that are damaged by just touching them. Anyway, after all that, it won't even get me a cup of coffee, and no one cares. I don't mind trying to fix something, if I destroy it, I'm no worse off, it was broke, anyway. If you don't completly understand the problem, but the fix is quick, cheap, and safe, give it a shot, even if success isn't going to be likely.

Comment

Part time tech, full-time Tandberg enthusiast & collector... specifically the audio stuff, not data or videoconferencing equipment.

Ran across a link to Badcaps on another forum and looked like another good place to learn the odd thing or two, so here I am.

John

Comment

Hi there,

Just needing help on trouble shooting my subwoofer. Just a computer enthusiast trying to learn as much as possible about a new hobby, home theater.

Comment

Hi, Tony from Salem, Ma.

I somehow wound up with an apartment full of broken electronics and i need help fixing them. Thank you for existing. Cheers.

Comment

Hey people or should i say HELLO to all ,members and people visiting this forum.

My name is Brad and being repairing audio equipment for about 13 years now, NOPE i did not study electronics but i have beening reading so many books on it .
                                      YES,i did not start understanding it until a friendly guy offered me a job at his small business 13 years back and started explaining the basics of ohm's law and a few more calculations .Suddenly i started understanding most of what i was reading.

MORAL of short comings is " Study hard and apply to college " .Life is to short to waste !!!!!!! and dont forget to have fun on your journey. lol

Comment

Hi all

My Nick name Durn derived from my surname. Real name Brian.

Retired telecoms engineer and ICT system manager. Built a reasonable workshop where over the past years have repaired lots and built kit. Now tend to work with Computer networks and PC's when home improvements don't get in the way. Found the site when in the process of repairing a 17PW80 power board and found the information supplied very helpful. Waiting for a supply of diodes to see if the repair is successful.

Comment

Hello, I've used my Jedi name to login here - Jarsudsco, but my real name is Keith.

I was tinkering with electrical things from the age of 4 or 5 and progressed to digital electronics as a teenager, I seemed to skip over transistors altogether...

I originally studied microelectronics at university but I found all the theory really boring - having got used to blowing up electrolytic capacitors for fun - so I dropped out, and went back a few years later to do computer science instead.

I haven't been active either designing, building or repairing for quite a few years now but something just got me interested again, so the ferric chloride has been at work this week and now I'm looking at repairing a few things as I hate seeing things wasted for the sake of maybe a cheap capacitor. I'm already in need of some guidance and this forum looked pretty promising.

- jarsudsco

Comment

Working...
                                          X